Home
Posted By: ScottM 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/24/09
I've read many of you have uppers in 17 Rem. How do you like them and what specs, make, etc...

I have the 223 and 204 covered. Thinking about trying the 17. Leaning toward White Oak though I have no experience with them yet.

Thanks, Scott

ps. no surprise but strictly for varmints.
Posted By: TWR Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/24/09
I have leaned that direction many times but have not built one yet. My cousin has one that was built by Accuracy Systems that is accurate and reliable so far. I wouldn't hesitate calling WOA either.

It's fun to shoot as you can watch the impact through the scope pretty easy. The 17 Remington is quite a caliber with those who swear it kills like lightening from above and then others who swear at it. (speaking of coyote sized critters) Bullet selection is the key and we have better choices available now.

The downside for me at least is brass is higher and I tend to lose brass from an AR in hunting situations. I suppose a brass catcher would solve that but it ain't happening on my guns.
Posted By: ScottM Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/25/09
Good points. I was thinking about how cool of a squirrel rig that would be. Most of the time I do find my brass but you're right, losing a 17 would be worse than a 223. I wonder what length would be best. I'm thinking 20" with a fairly heavy barrel. What would a guy expect to pay for that? Any ideas?
Posted By: timmy0283 Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/25/09
I have an AR in 17 Rem. it has a 24 inch fluted Bull barrel. It is a pretty neat little round. Mike Milli at Dtech made it. I have a DPMS lower on it with a 2-stage Jewell trigger.

P.S. Where do you live in Idaho? I grew up in Council.
Posted By: ScottM Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/25/09
Tim, I'm in southeast Idaho near Pocatello. Rock chuck heaven. Went this morning and sure could have run a 17 AR through its paces. I think I'm going to have to get this project going.

What's the contact info for Dtech? I'm interested in finding out all my options.

Thanks, Scott

ps- I've spent time down your way. I assume your on White Sands. Done a little wandering around down there for oryx.

Have a great day.
Posted By: timmy0283 Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/26/09
Scott, You are very close. I'm stationed at Holloman AFB which is right next to White Sands. How did you do on your Oryx hunt? Here is Mike's Website:

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com

I have not been able to shoot anything with my 17 yet but I'm hoping to try for a few coyotes with it this winter.

Have a good one,

Tim
Posted By: tacgnut Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/26/09
Here is picture of mine that DTECH built...well actually he built a different upper but I decided I didn't like the EOP upper and the jacked-up Medesha forend. Neither was Mikes idea, all mine.

[Linked Image]

The Shilen barrel is all that is left from the original build, I added a Stag A3 upper w/M4 cuts and carbon fiber FF tube.
The barrel has a 1:9 twist and is 21" long with deep flutes front to back. Very well balanced package. It now wears a 4.5-14X VXIII SF, now it is complete and I'm happy with the end result.
Accuracy is pretty good so far, an average 5 shot group is just over 1/2 MOA with an occasional group well under that.

Dtech (Mike) is a good guy to deal with. He is a one man operation, so quality control is pretty tight and I know that he stands behind what he builds. You can expect wait times of 4-6 mos. at the present. Order now for Xmas delivery.
Posted By: minengr Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 05/26/09
Here is mine
[Linked Image]

Upper from White Oak Armament and 24" Pac-nor barrel. It sits atop a Rock River lower that was put together by a friend, minus the jewell trigger I installed. I have replaced the Zeiss scope with a Leupold 4-14.

I think John at WOA did a great job with the upper and he was very easy to deal with. This was the first 17 Rem upper he built. I have no idea if he has built more. I have been very pleased with the results. This was considered a "custom" build by WOA and cost $840 three years ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
All shots fired were with my reloads. It's by accident that I even tried them in my AR. It was actually a load I'd worked up for my bolt gun.
In case you're interested

New Rem Brass
Rem 7.5 Primer
22.4 gr of Re-15
25 gr Berger Match bullet
2.150 OAL

They're a little over 3900 fps IIRC.
Posted By: kevlars Re: 17 Remington AR-15 - 06/15/09
I am leaning towards building a 17 cal upper myself. I think I may build a 17-223 upper. I believe Mike at Dtech can chamber for it. It is my understanding that you only have to neck down 223 brass to make it, nothing else is required. I found it interesting, and think that is the way I will go if I do build one.

kevlars
© 24hourcampfire