Home
Posted By: stumpy Stag Arms - 08/02/10
Anyone own one of these? Located here in
I am looking at a lefty model to scope and hunt pigs with.
Probably 20" but considering 24".
Thanks for any feedback.

www.stagarms.com

stumpy
Posted By: jimmyd223 Re: Stag Arms - 08/02/10
stumpy, I have not owned or shot a Stag arms but have handled a few and they appear to be a very well put together AR. Bullettbutt here has a left handed 20" gun and it is very nice, hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts on it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stag Arms - 08/02/10
Stags I've handled seemed fine.
Posted By: stanimal Re: Stag Arms - 08/02/10
I'm not an AR guru by any stretch, but I do own a Stag. No issues on this end at all. Bought a flat top but decided to go carry handle irons anyway. Never a blink on mine but the trigger was a bit heavy out of the box (around 7 pounds).
Posted By: passport Re: Stag Arms - 08/02/10
I had/have a Super Varmiter with the heavy 24 inch barrel, very accurate and ran great. I have since swaped out the upper with a 16 inch RRA Coyote carbine and like it much better. Did not suffer any accuracy and got a gun that can do more that just shoot from the bench.

You wont be unhappy with Stag

Posted By: firearms44 Re: Stag Arms - 08/02/10
I have the Stag Arms 6.8 16" Lite. Shoots the SSA 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter and the Remington 115gr Matchking BTHP same POI. That should be good for pigs at 2550 FPS.

Ken
Posted By: sam308 Re: Stag Arms - 08/02/10
I've had a lefty M-4 style Stag for a couple of years now. Never had a problem with it and it consistently shoots 1.5 inch groups with bulk federal ammo. I have replaced the factory trigger with a Chip McCormick unit. Factory trigger was a little heavy and creepy, but I think you'll have that with most non-custom AR's.
Posted By: chickasaw_hunter Re: Stag Arms - 08/03/10
I have a 7H upper on a Spikes lower. That's a 6.8. Kilt 6 hogs with it this year. Plan to kill the rest next year.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stumpy Re: Stag Arms - 08/03/10
That all sounds positive. Thanks for the responses.
Sounds like a 24" barrel is not necessary for good accuracy.
20" should help with noise though.

"Kilt 6 hogs with it this year. Plan to kill the rest next year." laugh We are doing our part, but this years recruitments (due to good, wet weather) are winning.

I was planning on a .223. I already have .223 bolt and know the .223 is ample for short range pigs. Is the 6.8 ammo easy to obtain, inexpensive and good quality for hunting?

stumpy
Posted By: jimmyd223 Re: Stag Arms - 08/03/10
Lots of 6.8 ammo available from several sourses. I favor Silver State ammo as they are close by(Packwood,Wa) plus there ammo has been very accurate and very good people to deal with.
Posted By: chickasaw_hunter Re: Stag Arms - 08/03/10
Compared to 556/223, 6.8 is harder to get and more expensive. I agree that at the moment Silver State is the best factory ammo and the best brass to load with. More bullets are available from the big bullet mfg's that should work great on pigs. I used Nosler Accubonds this last year, will use them again next year along with Sierra ProHunter (110). When I shoot up what I have on hand I'll transition to the new Barnes 95 gr unless something better comes along. CH
© 24hourcampfire