Home
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain .45acp Pistol? - 10/18/11
See some AR15 carbines in this chambering, but no pistols. Anyone know of any? Also, does the .45acp upper require a modified lower? Dan
Posted By: Skivvy Re: .45acp Pistol? - 10/20/11
A lot of views on this thread.. but no info.

I don't have a clue, but i'm interested to see the answer!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: .45acp Pistol? - 10/20/11
grin

Me too!

edit to add: - it might be easier on an AR10, since the .45 head size is the same as a .308 case.

Posted By: Tracy Re: .45acp Pistol? - 10/20/11
.45 ACP uppers do not require a modified lower, but they do require a magazine adapter that fits in the standard magwell. There is a specialized lower called the AR45 that only accepts the .45 magazine without the need for an adapter, but it falls under the heading of nice to have, rather than being a requirement.
Almost all .45 ARs are based on the Olympic Arms bolt, which is blowback and fits in a standard AR15 upper. There are a few custom gas-operated .45 ARs; these use a custom bolt in a standard AR15 upper. To my knowledge, no one has ever built an AR10-based .45, nor is there any need to use the large action.

An AR pistol in .45 would be a custom proposition, but it wouldn't be difficult nor expensive to build.
Posted By: PaulDaisy Re: .45acp Pistol? - 10/21/11
Perhaps this is because there are tons of pistols available in .45?..
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: .45acp Pistol? - 11/04/11
I have one on an AR-45 lower, 10.5 inch barrel, greasegun mags... one of the most practical weapons I own and couldnt see myself without one.Mines gas operated. [Linked Image]

edited to add pic
© 24hourcampfire