Home
Posted By: mikeone DPMS 338 Federal - 11/17/11
I'm really thinking hard about one of these for a hog thumper.
Any experience on the forum about this weapon,or DPMS in general?
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DPMS 338 Federal - 11/17/11
check this guy out!

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/index.htm

Posted By: iambrb Re: DPMS 338 Federal - 11/17/11
Hello,
I do not have a .338 Fed., but I do have a DPMS LR-308 and I really like the rifle. The DPMS is seen as a price point gun/kia of the AR world, but that is underrating it. My gun will easily shoot to less than MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo.

If you want to build one in this caliber, you can do so cheaper than buying a complete upper by buying the barrel from Midway @ $250, the complete upper @ JSE Surplus @ $170 plus hand guard/other stuff from same. And you will have about $600 in the upper.

A friend has one and you may want to look at the ACE Stock with one inch pad as this gun produces 7mm magnum power.

Good luck! Wear ear protection!!
Posted By: 338jdj Re: DPMS 338 Federal - 11/17/11
I have an armalite 10T. I love it. It on the heavy side, but it absolutely loves the 200, 225 gr. nosler accubonds. If your gonna be doing a lot of walking it really does get heavy after a while. If stand hunting you will not be let down by its performance.
Posted By: Kgw911 Re: DPMS 338 Federal - 11/30/11
I own the Dpms 338, its a fine rifle but can be finicky on ammo. Stick to the fusion ammo or handloads as others seem to cause short cycles. With factory fusion 200 gr, I can get .5-.75" groups at 200yrds. Except for the scope and mount its all stock. I use it for just about everything, large game wise and am in fact taking it out for long range antelope this weekend...
Posted By: jstall Re: DPMS 338 Federal - 11/30/11
My buddy has one, and I have yet to see it shoot over 3/4" @ 100 yds. with any load. He has shot the fusions, 185 American Eagle, and numerous handloads with Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, and some Speer 200 gr. That gun will shoot!!!
Posted By: supercrewd Re: DPMS 338 Federal - 11/30/11
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Dtech can build you a WSSM based 35 too.
© 24hourcampfire