Home
I want to shoot up some 40gr Nos Ballistic Tips, using an Colt LE 6920 - 16.1" bbl w/ 1:7 twist.

Some claim that the twist will cause them to fly apart. Others say that the BT's are tough enough and will hang together fine.

I will have VERY limited range time in the next 2 weeks and need some accurate information. So...

Anybody have actual experience shooting 40gr bullets out of a 1:7 twist barrel? How did it work out for you?

Thanks!
I shoot 40 grain VMax over 26.5 grains of Varget from a 1-7 noveske, shoots fine.
I've shot them out of my 20" upper and they shoot pretty well. No experience past 100 yards but I'd figure they'd blow up before then if they were going to...
Every bullet I've toasted never made 100 yards.

Those were light jacket varmint type in a 6.5 twist 223.
Shot 52s match with a J4 jacket just fine...

Never shot 40s or bought 40s so can't add much.
The 40 grain bullets I shoot do really well however my upper has a 1-14 twist.
I think it truly depends on the bullet construction. Jacket thickness would be key here. Something like a Varmint Granade probably wouldn't make it 20yds out the end of the barrel, but a solid copper round might do pretty well. Wouldn't hurt to load some up and see.
My .02
BTips are harder than a VMax, so I'd guess they'd do fine.
My 7 twist shoots anything lighter than 60 grain all over the target.
I just got back from running 100 50gr V-max's through my 1-7 twist AR without any problems. Actually they shoot faster with the same powder load under them out of the 20" 1-7 AR then they do out of my 26" 1-14 Rem. I've read the BT's have a thicker jacket then the V-max's so I'd have no problem trying them.
Jamie what powder are you using
If you cannot get the lightweights to shoot in a tight twist, then you often need more neck tension. an easy way to get it is to run them through a Lee Factory Crimp die once they are loaded.
I like VMax 40's at warp speed, they will not even exit a 16 ounce water bottle when its full of water when shot at 50 yards whistle . Good inside the house load.
© 24hourcampfire