Home
Posted By: acy S&W M&P15T question - 10/15/12
Looking to get another AR to go with my Colt SP-1. The 15T is on the short list. I have read that it has a chrome lined barrel, but can't find that in S&W web-site. Does the "new" 15T have chrome barrel? Did the 1st generation have chrome barrel? I understand that the main difference between the 1st and 2nd generation are Troy folding sights and handguard with M-4 contour on the 1st gen., and Magpul folding sights and S&W handguard and no M-4 contour on barrel. Are those the only differences? I think I can get a Gen 1 for a couple hundred more than the Gen 2. Worth the difference? What else should I consider in the $1200 or less market? Thanks, Al
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/15/12
The "T" is the S&W I find most appealing, as well. Interested to see the replies here.
Posted By: TWR Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/15/12
I don't like the rails as well as these new ones where you can add a rail only where you need it.
http://www.impactguns.com/sw-mp-15-...rd-coat-blk-ano-811024-022188142921.aspx

The T model does have a 5R barrel that is Melanited and is a 1/8 twist, not a horrid choice.
Posted By: acy Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/15/12
TRW, I really like that handguard, but would prefer the full 16" barrel with threaded flash supressor. The melanite takes the place of chrome?
Posted By: TWR Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/15/12
Ya I prefer a full 16" barrel myself. I chrono'd 2 14.5" Colt barrels against 2 16" Colt barrels and found almost a 100 fps difference plus I've drilled out enough pins to know I don't like em.

The Melanite is supposed to be better but I don't know. For a hunting gun I wouldn't mind an accuracy edge over chrome. But I built the same gun only with a Colt pencil barrel and have no issues making things dead.

The tube/rail I used is a Troy Alpha rail, 13". They work with a standard barrel nut.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogzapper Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/15/12
I recently bought a S&W M&P 15TS. As long as you are looking at the T, you might as well handle the TS, as well. The TS is a little more expensive, but I liked it a lot and bought mine.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Below is a photo. The S&W M&P 15TS is on the top ... yep, 14�-inch barrel and a pinned Vortex flash-hider. The bottom rifle is the matching S&W M&P 15-22 in .22 Long Rifle. VVery nice pair of carbines.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Posted By: EdM Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/16/12
CDNN had the 1st Gen guns a while back for around $1200 IIRC. I came close to buying one then decided to go with a DD. Seems the Smith had a 9 twist barrel?
Posted By: dogzapper Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/16/12

Originally Posted by EdM
Seems the Smith had a 9 twist barrel?

My S&W M&P 15TS has a 1-7" rifling twist.

And my S&W M&P 15 MOE (Magpul Edition) has 1-8" 5R rifling.

Steve

Posted By: EdM Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/16/12
Yes, that was one of the made between the the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen rifles. The 1st Gen's were 1-9" which is what kept me from buying the CDNN offering.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/16/12

I've considered it a mystery why Windham Weaponry makes most of their ARs with 1-9" twist barrels. Granted, most folks shoot 55-grain bullets, but it would seem that the market WANTS 1-8" and 1-7" twist barrels ... if only to keep up with the expanding weight of specialized 5.56 bullets.

God Bless,

Steve

Posted By: acy Re: S&W M&P15T question - 10/16/12
If 1st gen is 1-9", would more likely go 2nd gen. Anyone have any problems with the polymer magpul folding sights?
© 24hourcampfire