Home
Posted By: outlawlineman bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/22/12
My AR has a 1 in 8 twist and was hoping to get a few ideas what bullet weight I should try first. (factory ammo for now)
Thanks
Posted By: TWR Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/22/12
I've shot 45's to 77's in mine.
Posted By: bea175 Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/22/12
I would start with the 60 gr Vmax
My 1 in 8 Montana AR barrel shoots five shots of Rem 50gr factory hollowpoint or Federal 77gr HP's into an inch, all day long. One in 8 is THE twist for an AR, IMO.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/22/12
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
My 1 in 8 Montana AR barrel shoots five shots of Rem 50gr factory hollowpoint or Federal 77gr HP's into an inch, all day long. One in 8 is THE twist for an AR, IMO.

I've tried those Rem factory 50 hp's in my AR's and found the bullets pushing back into the cases...maybe not a good round for an AR.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I've tried those Rem factory 50 hp's in my AR's and found the bullets pushing back into the cases...maybe not a good round for an AR.

Thanks for the heads up. I cycle a few of 'em several times and see what happens.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/22/12
Originally Posted by outlawlineman
My AR has a 1 in 8 twist and was hoping to get a few ideas what bullet weight I should try first. (factory ammo for now)
Thanks

outlawlineman,
Th beauty of a 1-8" twist is that it will shoot most any weight bullet pretty well (with the exception of some very heavy long range target bullets).
I'm assuming you are talking about a 5.56/223 Rem. gun.
I've had 1-8" barrels that would shoot 40gr varmit bullets into sub .5 MOA groups, and still shoot 69gr into little bitty groups as well.
Each barrel will have it's personal preferences on type and weight of bullets - you will just need to try a few different ones to see what your gun likes.
Bullet length has more to do with it than weight, depending more on the length of the bullets bearing surface that is in contact with the rifling/grooves.
What a bullet is made/constructed of will change the length.
As an example a solid copper constructed bullet like a Barnes will be longer than a bullet with a lead core of the same weight.
It can't get any bigger around because of the barrel diameter, so has to be longer to get to the same weight as the heavier lead material.
I'd just get some different weight bullets that you think are closest to being the proper type for your intended application and do some shooting.
Your gun will tell you what it likes for best accuracy.
I'm sure some others will jump in with advice, but it would help if they knew what you want to use your gun for (varmint shooting, target shooting, etc.).
Good luck,
Ted smile
Thanks for the replies! I'm not new to shooting/hunting just new to the AR platform. Just looking for a starting place. Wasn't sure if the 1 in 8 was to fast for like a 45 gr cup and core. You guys have been very helpful... Thanks again
Posted By: husqvarna Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/24/12
My Tikka T3 with 8" twist does OK with 50's and 55's but really shoots with bullets 60 grs. and over, Sierra 65 SPBT's are its favorite.
My 1-8" has shot everything from 40's to 68's very well.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/25/12
nice to see this thread. i recently ordered a rra 20" predator pursuit which has a 1 in 8 twist, and was wondering about preferred bullets.

perhaps more folks will post their experiences.

thanks
Posted By: jimmyp Re: bullet weight for 1 in 8 - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by outlawlineman
Thanks

It should shoot 75 grain Swift Scirroco's just fine.
© 24hourcampfire