Home
Posted By: Bluedreaux EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 12/31/12
So I'm considering one of these... LINK

It's the EoTech EXPS with a BDC type reticle and their flip to side 3.25x magnifier.

Anybody here have experience with this setup?
I have an Aimpoint ML3 with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a Larue mount. Only had it a few months but so far I'm liking it a lot. The magnifier hangs over on the R-hand side of the rifle not deployed so that COULD be an issue. It gets in my way doing my ejection port check after firing a string of shots, you just have to cant the rifle a tad more. That setup gives a lot of versatility, IMO.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 12/31/12
I am wondering about these things myself. Yesterday in a flock of runnning hogs I missed 3 times again (only killed 3 of them) I keep wishing for a scope with a tiny lit dot right in the center that is really easy to see against the twigss and branches.
Posted By: 02bfishn Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 12/31/12
These are pretty sweet - considering one for 6.8 I'm waiting on parts for. Buddy has one on an AR10 and is pretty nice;
http://leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/
Posted By: jimmyp Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 12/31/12
I have thought of that scope from time to time. Do you know how many MOA the dot in the middle subtends?
Can I ask why?

For not much more weight and a lot more practicality, you could get a full-size scope (or even a compact, but regardless), and an offset microdot/Fastfire/Docter-type optic in the 1 o' clock position.

The magnifiers are just awkward. Big dot in the middle, extra lens, have to be especially certain it lines up correctly behind your optic.

FWIW, in all I have researched, I have not seen a reputable instructor using a magnifier -- but I'm sure some have and/or do, but... yeah.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 01/01/13
for the sake of conversation, I agree in principle with you regards magnifiers-extra weight.

Let's go back to the OP's question regards the EO Tech and Magnifier.

to which I can add: I saw one with the non NV EXPS + magnifier for $900 just the other day at Bullseye Range and Guns in Lawrenceville GA.
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

FWIW, in all I have researched, I have not seen a reputable instructor using a magnifier -- but I'm sure some have and/or do, but... yeah.

I guess I ain't reputable. I guess all those SOF types who come through where I work running magnifiers ain't reputable either.

The greatest thing about a magnifier in a Larue mount is this. You can just take the damn thing off, if you so choose, and put it back on if need be. It affects nothing else, and 3X enables the average guy to hit about as far as he's going to be able to hit. At 140 plus yds, hit probability from field positions goes up a couple of magnitudes of order with a little magnification on small, head-sized targets. So, for all but CQB, you need something. A magnifier is just A WAY, I ain't sayin' its the only way or the best.
JOG...Work will only allow me to carry 3x magnification.

And to pre-emptively answer, no I can't change the rules. At least not enough to carry a 1-4 before I'd like to make a purchase.

If I go no-magnifier I'll need a QD mount for it, and another QD mount for another optic for hunting and competition. So a magnified Eotech keeps me from dealing with two mounts and two optics.
happy new year!

I have seen those 45 degree mounted red dots, but with 40 years of muscle memory one of them would surely not work for me.

This is the combo I saw for $900 but I think it was the non NV combo. Its 23 ounces, or about the same weight as a 1-4 scope plus mount. Not sure but this one has more dots than what I would want I think.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-...red-dot-sight-and-g33-sts-magnifier.html
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Can I ask why?

For not much more weight and a lot more practicality, you could get a full-size scope (or even a compact, but regardless), and an offset microdot/Fastfire/Docter-type optic in the 1 o' clock position.

The magnifiers are just awkward. Big dot in the middle, extra lens, have to be especially certain it lines up correctly behind your optic.

I can get hits on ten inch plates to 300 easy with just an EoTech or Aimpoint, and 400 is doable if the target is visible. The magnifier just adds the ability to target ID farther.

I have magnifiers from Aimpoint, EoTech, and the Vortex below on a Block II M4.

[Linked Image]

I have access to every military issued optic, and just about every commercial low powered variable and for 300 yards and in the red dot plus magnifier is the fastest combination available and what I choose to use fully 80% of the time.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

It's the EoTech EXPS with a BDC type reticle and their flip to side 3.25x magnifier.

Skip the multi dot EoTech. We have used both versions extensively and the setup is better on paper than in actual use. In fact for duty use I would pick a 2 MOA Aimpoint and a magnifier over an EoTech every time.
Posted By: eh76 Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 01/01/13
I have to agree the simpler the better. I had an Eotech A565 reticle, too busy for me. I do have an Eotech with a 1 minute dot which I like. If I had to do it over again I would have an Aimpoint instead of an Eotech due to battery life and durability and no I do not use mine for any professional use...just varmints.
Posted By: TWR Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 01/01/13
I use mine for varmints too, one thing that I fail to see with most red dot threads is how accurate can you shoot with one.

Ten inch plates at 300 won't get too many coyotes killed. Add a magnifier and odds go up but for me, I'm better with a scope. I use my Aimpoint and eo-thingie for what they were intended for, close range.

Just curious for a $1069 what does that do for you that a used Leupold 1.5 X 5 won't do? You can find the Leupold used for under $300.
Posted By: eh76 Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 01/01/13
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Just curious for a $1069 what does that do for you that a used Leupold 1.5 X 5 won't do? You can find the Leupold used for under $300.

take a few moments and read a little deeper into the thread wink
Really give me a clue they don't do anything better than the 1.5 x 5.
Bluedreaux is a LEO and scopes are not approved on their carbines from what I understand, only red dots and magnifiers.

What it won't do? Well the 1.5 will slow you down a tad at pistol ranges, which is why you will find ZERO 3-gunners who run a scope that, at its lowest, is more than 1.1x, like the Burris XTR's or Vortex's. Also, you can't just snatch the scope off and have a bombproof dot to run, which is vastly superior to irons.

Having said all that, I'd be the first to agree that a good 1-4X in a rock solid mount, with a good BUIS, is the most bang for the buck.
I think I will try an EoTech to swap back and forth for a scope on one of my guns. My first stop however is a new scope, I agree many can make hits further than I can shoot using just a red dot. I am not a very good shot and would probably struggle to hit 10 inch plates at 300 yards with even a good scope. Most of my shots are under 100 yards. On the other hand I believe in magnification because it lets me see what is in the way of my bullet, branches, twigs, vines, big weeds, etc. Most of my shots are in thick growth. My personal first stop regards a new optic is a new magnified scope but with a lit red dot in the middle. If I had to hunt with an eotech or aimpoint its for sure it would have a magnifier behind it.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Bluedreaux is a LEO and scopes are not approved on their carbines from what I understand, only red dots and magnifiers.

That's sad when your battery goes dead in the middle of a mess you could be SOL. But my 1.5 x don't have a battery to go dead just sayin.

That's sad when your battery goes dead in the middle of a mess you could be SOL. But my 1.5 x don't have a battery to go dead just sayin.

Noted, except batteries last for four years in the new Aimpoints, and I did house runs all day one time with an older, dead aimpoint, using the scope tube itself as a huge ghost ring, and never missed a target. They also make these things called Larue mounts and BUIS's as well.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Noted, except batteries last for four years in the new Aimpoints, and I did house runs all day one time with an older, dead aimpoint, using the scope tube itself as a huge ghost ring, and never missed a target. They also make these things called Larue mounts and BUIS's as well.

You never missed a target at how many feet in close they are great. But when you're using them with the 3x my guess is you are no longer close. That is where I'm saying they can't come close the the regular scope. For an in close tactical weapon where you're stacking people up to go in a building that isn't lighted extremely well and shooting it 30 ft or less you have a good tool.
A 1.5-5 would be great. Getting to patrol on a unicorn would be pretty sweet to, but neither of those are going to happen. And more specifically, neither of them have anything to do with the very simple question I posted to start the thread....

I do appreciate the input of everyone who offered their useful opinions. When you try to get a "jack of all trades" rig set up, you're going to sacrifice some things. I'm just trying to find that balance between gas mileage and go-fast, as it where.

TAK and Formidilosus, I especially appreciate your hands on experience.
Posted By: TWR Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 01/02/13
I apologize for speculating but having run several red dots, there has to be a better solution, LE has a little different set of rules than MIL I would hope.

How about a 3x ACOG?
Originally Posted by TWR
I apologize for speculating but having run several red dots, there has to be a better solution, LE has a little different set of rules than MIL I would hope.

How about a 3x ACOG?

That is an option but, for a cop, that seems less than ideal, to me. That fixed power might just as often be a liability as much as an asset. The only real downside to an Aimpoint/Magnfier setup I can see is the cost. I forget to mention that I just say that Burris has a flip over mount that looks like a Larue knock-off. I would avoid the Aimpoint twist mount.
Posted By: Rogue Re: EoTech and 3x magnifier? - 01/04/13
I've ran ACOG, Aimpoint and EoTech on multiple deployment with a more than decent amount of fighting. I had the EoTech magnifier on LaRue mounts.

Given in Astan I really liked the ACOG. It makes for lighter magnification, but the eye box is very low in comparison to the reflex sights. In comparing to the EoTech, the Aimpoint has a too large of a dot for precision shots at longer ranges, and has a much smaller dot than the big EoTech circle for CQB.

That EoTech is fast rolling for room to room and the 1MOA center dot still allows for precision at much farther ranges than the 2-5 MOA dot of the AimPoint.

As far as battery life, I'm ok with swapping batteries every month or two. I don't have a problem punching a sight on when it's needed either. I'm always fiddling with the settings anyways so it's not an issue.

For me the magnifier was just added weight, so I eventually dropped it for the straight EoTech.
© 24hourcampfire