Home
Posted By: cdb Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
Is it safe to shoot ammunition with steel cases as opposed to brass or will it damage an AR-15?
Posted By: boatboy Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
I am not an expert
I have run brass through my ARs and have a pile of steel
I tried to use some a few weeks ago in a 6920 Colt
It didnt function well at all
after doing some snooping everything I see tells me I will be looking to get rid of my steel cased ammo
Hank
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
i am not desperate enogh to shoot steel cased ammo out of anything. one thing i have noticed with it on guns that started to have problems brought to me by customers, it does coat the inside of your chamber with melted paint/laquer which it is coated with. not real fun to get out. leads me to believe all them aks in the world that use it have real sloppy chambers and the steel cases also add a margin of safety to those guns.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
The instructions with a DPMS I had explicitly said not to use steel cased ammo.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
Steel cased ammo is fine. One of my AR's has over 7000 rounds through it and has never seen a brass cased cartridge. Except for the barrel which gave out at 6000 rounds it's never given me any trouble.
Posted By: Boococky Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
My RR has had nothing but steel cased ammo fed through it and its never had a hiccup....also its as clean as the day it was new
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
Shot some Hornady Steel Match in my Bushmaster yesterday. Functioned fine, and made pretty, small cloverleaf groups.
Never had a hicup in my guns with steel. I don't buy it because I reload. I was given some and took my neighbors son to the range and let him have at it. He had fun and never a problem.
Posted By: cdb Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
So I gather it caused some people problems and other people not.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/04/13
There's a youtube video of a guying discussing the truths and myths of steel ammo in ARs. FWIW.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/05/13
Anybody who's scared to shoot steel cased our of their AR needs a new one.

In 2000 rounds of steel through my own; it works great. Get some CLP and store your ammo in controlled conditions.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/06/13
I have 3 Armalite barrels that shoot steel ammo like a champ. Yes, I prefer brass but if steel is what you have your rifle should be able to shoot it. Someday we may not have a choice. kwg
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/06/13
I have only ran it in full auto M16's but it never failed to cycle
Posted By: Holcombe30347 Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/06/13
I have seen a bolt gun so sticky from the lacquered stuff that I will not use it anymore. The zinc coated is worse. If you try to store it, it corrodes.
Posted By: Cold Zero Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/08/13
The Hornady TAP Practice .223 is very good ammo.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by Holcombe30347
I have seen a bolt gun so sticky from the lacquered stuff that I will not use it anymore. The zinc coated is worse. If you try to store it, it corrodes.

Probably from other dirtiness... the lacquer melting is a myth. Wolf changed to polymer coating to address customer concern. People still say it.

Whaddya gonna do?
Posted By: boatboy Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/12/13
I have.an auto-ord Tommy.gun it also.says no steel ammo
Hank
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/13/13
Here is a pretty good link on a 40,000 rnd ammo test.

Brass vs Steel 40,000 rnd Test by Lucky Gunner

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Steel cased ammo - 01/13/13
John, are you becoming an AR packer zombie killer now?? Waiting for the apocalypse...If you have any videos of you shooting an AR long range, I'd like to see them. Thanks...
© 24hourcampfire