Home
Posted By: addicted Price gouging!! - 01/05/13
Over the past few weeks I'm getting increasing sick of people price gouging everyone.
I'm seeing rifles that I purchased very recently selling for over $1000 more than what I paid for.

Today at a local gun show I literally laughed in the face of someone selling Magpul 30 round mags for $70 a mag!!

I've had a guy trying to rape me over a bare bones AR for $1375 no matter what I throw at him he gets increasingly annoying. Normally it would go for $900-950... I have a custom rifle he wants.... I'm asking $1130 shipped and the ****** comes back and offers $750. In the words of others on here... GFY.

I saw a $1800 rifle tagged $3200 and a SOCOM 16 for the same. Come on guys, really!!

Sorry, I'm usually a nice guy, but it's getting stupid.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
Originally Posted by addicted
Over the past few weeks I'm getting increasing sick of people price gouging everyone.
I'm seeing rifles that I purchased very recently selling for over $1000 more than what I paid for.

Today at a local gun show I literally laughed in the face of someone selling Magpul 30 round mags for $70 a mag!!

I've had a guy trying to rape me over a bare bones AR for $1375 no matter what I throw at him he gets increasingly annoying. Normally it would go for $900-950... I have a custom rifle he wants.... I'm asking $1130 shipped and the ****** comes back and offers $750. In the words of others on here... GFY.

I saw a $1800 rifle tagged $3200 and a SOCOM 16 for the same. Come on guys, really!!

As I've asked others...if you purchased some silver for $20 an ounce and overnight it went up to $40 an ounce, and you wanted to sell it, you would insist on selling for the same amount you bought it for in order to not "gouge"?

No offense, but in trades, whether it is pre-Connecticut Massacre or after it, it's all dependent on how bad you want what the guy you are trading with has. If you don't want to pay the prices, don't. If you want it, there it is.

Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
Its only stupid because I don't have a dozen AR's to sell at the moment.

I really wish I had stocked up more on AR'S and mags (both AR and Pistol). That kind of stuff is not really my thing but I sure I hope I have enough for both my boys to use their entire lifetimes.

Dink
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
no matter what I throw at him he gets increasingly annoying

So when you repeatedly ask him to lose money by selling something below market value.....HE'S the annoying one?
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13

There is no such thing as price gouging.
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
Supply and demand in it's purest form. Yeah it sucks, but that's why we make hay when the sun still shines.

I've got 2 gal pals/friends that seen the handwriting on the wall before the Conn school shooting and got their house in order. One picked up an Glock 17, multiple Colt 6920's, an Ruger 10/22, shotguns, and cases upon cases to feed them + an 5k of 7.62x39 ammo along with lotsa AK and AR P-mags. Smart girl!

My other friend was on an tighter budget and I took her shopping for an Mossy 500 shotgun, Ruger Mini-14 + extra 20rnd mags, Ruger 10/22, and helped her score an nice Glock 27 dept trade in with extra mags. She has an modest ammo supply, but has enough to defend the home and hunt with if needed.

It's really all about priorities and life decisions where you want to put your money.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree that ammo, mags, and firearms are WAYYYYY overpriced at this time. Nobody will argue that things arne't stuiply spendy. But it's all about what the market (buyers) are will to pay for an product and the product availbility. Either we made the right moves and were serious about having an supply, or we kicked tires on the car but didn't buy in at the right time.
Posted By: TWR Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
So are you just now trying to get an AR?
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
Originally Posted by TWR
So are you just now trying to get an AR?

Have what I need and seen this coming.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13

What's the big deal if someone wants $70 for their product? Either we let the free market decide or we insist people must sell below market value - in which case we are stealing money out of their pocket. Can you spell "W-E-A-L-T-H R-E-D-I-S-T-R-I-B-T-I-O-N" ? When the government requires it at the point of a gun it is no less wrong than simple theivery.

Just before the latest nonsense I purchased two Rock River LAR-15 rifles as Christmas presents for my daughters (The other got a Kimber and my wife a shotgun.) I seriously considered keeping the ARs and selling them as I could easily more than doubled my money. Instead I determined the guns were worth way more than that to me even though I was giving them away for free. Had I chosen to sell there is no way I would have taken less than market price and if someone considered that "gouging", tough schitt.

"Price gouging" is just a term invented by people who want something for less than its current value.

Say another AWB goes through. There are so many possibilities let's just stick with the old one. If the old one got re-activated, current prices certainly will not seem like "gouging" but rather, "bargains".
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
CTD had GI 30 round mags for $90 each last time I looked. Man it sure makes me wish I would have held onto all those 20 round Colt mags I had years ago. I sold most of them for $10 each or 3 for $25. Oh well I had a little over 300 of them, got a couple of nice rifles and some other stuff out of them. I can only imagine if I walked into a gunshow this weekend with those mags, what kind of money I could walk out with!
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13

How's this for a concept:

"The value of an item is what people of free will determine it to be."

Clearly you don't think the mags are worth $70 , even though that may, as someone pointed out, seem like a bargain in the near future. If the seller can't sell them for that, he may lower his price or he may decide to hold on to them until they sell. Either way is OK by me. I thought about buying some for $30-35 today but decided to pass, hoping the supply will catch up with demand before they are restricted again. It's a risk I'm taking and one that I may come to regret. In any case, people were buying at that price so the freely determined value was at least that for the time being.

The guy didn't want to pay your asking price for your rifle and that makes him a "******"? Clearly the rifle wasn't worth your price to him, regardless of how highly you might value it.

Today I saw a Ruger Mini-14 marked at just over $1500. Am I a "******" because I didn't buy it even though it was 3x what I'd be willing to pay?

Did your not buying the magazines make you a "******"?
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
i agree it isn't price gouging. the market is what the market is. it is not what the seller paid for the product but what would it cost to replace it. example,several years ago i bought a few cases of ammo. i paid 130 dollars a case. the other night i found a web site that was selling the same ammo for 499 dollars a case and sold out of it in a short time. if i sold mine and doubled my money i still couldn't replace it at todays rates which means it was worth more than i sold it for.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
You should be mad at the politicians.

The real value of something is what people are willing to pay.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
I went to a gun show today. There wasn't a NIB AR-15 for less than $2500. Complete lowers ranged from $650 to $800. There weren't any stripped lowers that I saw. Surplus mags were $20, C-Products mags were $30 and PMags ranged from $40 to $70.

NOBODY WAS BUYING. I THINK THE PANIC HAS DIED DOWN A LITTLE.

there were lots of gougers but very few if any gougies. wink

I ran across a vendor that had Federal small rifle primers at a fair price. Thw 205's were $33 per 1000 and he had one case of federal Match for $36 so I went ahead and bought a box of each. Not my favorite brand what the hell, they'll get used.

Terry
Originally Posted by TC1
I went to a gun show today. There wasn't a NIB AR-15 for less than $2500. Complete lowers ranged from $650 to $800. There weren't any stripped lowers that I saw. Surplus mags were $20, C-Products mags were $30 and PMags ranged from $40 to $70.

NOBODY WAS BUYING. I THINK THE PANIC HAS DIED DOWN A LITTLE.

there were lots of gougers but very few if any gougies. wink

I ran across a vendor that had Federal small rifle primers at a fair price. Thw 205's were $33 per 1000 and he had one case of federal Match for $36 so I went ahead and bought a box of each. Not my favorite brand what the hell, they'll get used.

Terry
The fact that nobody was buying may very well be more a facet of them being out of money and their credit maxed out than it is the panic dying down.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
Could be but I don't think so.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/06/13
It isn't dying down here from what I am seeing.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Price gouging!! - 01/07/13
Come May I'll be getting cards to max out, myself.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Price gouging!! - 01/07/13
It is dieing down, there are tons of overpriced rifles with reduced and even more reduced prices on many forums oriented around AR's. They aren't selling even remotely like they were right after the Conn massacre. They will come down even more when guys realize that they overspent themselves in their own panic and need to recoup the cash they spent on something they didn't need. I turned a nice profit on my Colt and have watched the prices go down each and every week since then. Of course the supply chain will be in the private sales market since every store, and distributor is cleaned out but I even saw where a guy walked into a walmart and they had just got some Colts in and he picked up a LE6920 for the $1,097 price they normally sell for. This AR BS is the silliest thing I have ever witnessed, way worse than when Osama was voted in back in 08/09.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/07/13
AlaskaCub I disagree with you on part of that. I think most of the completely over the top pricing you saw was a bunch of bullsh_t. I think people were bidding up their own wears to make it look like they were getting those prices. In reality they never sold.

Prime example I was buying and selling Pmags on e-bay. I knew what I was selling my mags I already had at, so I knew what my buying price had to be under to make a profit. I won several bids for three new in wrapping mags @ under $100. I was selling and actual sold several lots of three mags new in packaging for $150.00. So everything I could find for $100 or under I was buying. Several that I bid on closed at crazy high prices, then I got a message from them saying if I am stilling wanting the mags at my max price they would sell them to me. This tells me they were bidding up their own products.

I bought two different lots of ten Pmags for $300.00 when they closed at over $600.00. Why would anyone in their right mind take $300 for what they supposedly had offers in the $600 range? Note I said Plural, meaning it takes more then one offer to get it up to that kind of price. So lets say it was only two different people bidding you honestly believe both parties backed out? And then I was the next closest bidder at only $300.00?

Same thing happened on GB. Now we see two to three times the price which I would say is stable and has been for now anyways.
Posted By: fester Re: Price gouging!! - 01/07/13
I had a local gun store owner show me thier lowers. qouted me a price of 120.00 He called me and said they were in stock but up the price by 75%. I politely told him to get f-ucked and he no longer had my business..... I will wait till the hysteria is over.
Posted By: TWR Re: Price gouging!! - 01/07/13
Montanacreekhunter, or he sold his lot of 10 for $600 and then sold an additional lot for $30 to you. Remember he still made $20 a piece off of you. If I had say, 1000 mags and there were a few that were stupid enough to pay $60 each, I'd sell them and hit everyone else who was willing to play at $30 each too.

But then you turned around and sold them even higher making less money than he did...
I highly doubt that, but could have. However I did this for almost a month from multiple sellers. You don't know what they paid for the mags to begin with so you don't know what the mark up was and nor do I. personally I don't care what they made as it was easy money for me.

All I am saying is a lot of those really outragouse prices were self inflated and most likely not really sold. As for what I made, it was pure profit on my end so if I made more or less then they did I could careless. For me it was free money, all I had to do was buy lower then I was selling for and I did. So even if I made less doesn't matter, because I made more money then I had before.
What I see here in gun shops is bare shelves. That alone tells me prices are high and are going to stay high atleast until those selves are full again.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
All I know is that I sold my used LE6920 for $2200 in less than 30 minutes and had 3 guys inside that 30 minutes want to take it. On the Texas forum which is full of AR guys, a NIB LE6920 selling for $1900 just the other day took a week or so and he hadn't sold it. AR15.com classifieds are full of overpriced AR's that the prices are being reduced multiple times in an attempt to recoup some cash. People are coming to their senses the problem is the entire supply chain is currently in private hands, and no longer in the stores. So either these guys will hang on to everything they have (which some will do) and some will end up getting butt hurt as the prices are coming down and their imaginary profit margin is dissipating but they realize how much money they have tied up in this stuff. The Gun shows as of this weekend are full of overpriced sellers and theres very little buying going on at this price point, same couldn't be said in the first panic week following the Conn shooting. It'll pass like everything else.
Posted By: Holcombe30347 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
Sold my used RRA coyote for $2000 on GB last week and the check is cashed. Had a supplier call me to sell pmags, all I wanted for $20 apiece. I said no thanks. The craze is close to being over until they begin debating the laws, then there will be another one, albeit smaller I'm thinking.
Posted By: blanket Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
Anyone that was not smart enough to be immune to the current market gets what is coming, stupid should hurt
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
I'm tempted to sell my bushmaster orc in 308 while prices are up. I bought on a clearance 3 years ago and haven't used it much at all. I'd have a harder time getting rid of my rra predator pursuit because it's on of my most accurate rifles, but at these prices the funds could go a long ways towards a nice custom bolt gun.

I listed my first items on gunbroker this week instead of putting them on this forum or snipershide. I didn't want to tick people off here because I might have made a profit on them. They were ruger bx-25 25 round 10/22 mags. I bought them last week at what seemed like a little high price but they all sold on the auction for an average of $70 each. It's a shame I didn't feel like I could list them for that here because of the capitalism and free market haters lately. If I see something that I want and think it's too high I make an offer. If they don't accept I don't get angry.

I've sold several guns and parts at a loss and made a few bucks on some parts here and there when I've bought them right. But Ive never sold anything for more than it was worth, at least to the buyer.

If New Jersy wouldn't have had anti price gouging laws people there would have had a much easier time getting fuel after the storm. Capitolistic people would have got fuel in there but it wasn't worth the risk and extra effort for 10%.

Bb
Posted By: 496 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
I think when another 2-3 million people have semi-automatic weapons the price will go down.
Posted By: okok Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
BLAH BLAH BLAH crazy
Price gouging commodities that people need should be Illegal! AR-15's and Pmags are not things people need, they are luxuries just like new cell phones, video games for kids,etc. if you just gotta have it while its hot........you gotta pay the piper!!! They don't get you to work, doesn't heat your home or feed your children!
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
AC, who should be the judge of what is gouging? I'm curious as to how it would work.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
I'm not selling or buying right now, but I think if the market will bring a price, the seller should get it.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by JeffP40
AC, who should be the judge of what is gouging? I'm curious as to how it would work.

I'll answer. The consumer. I saw it last week end at the gunshow. Lots of gougers, but no gougies. Some people were laughing about the prices and the venders were trying to keep a straight face.

I think the prices will stay a little higher for awhile longer but the panic is over and those with inventory that want to sell will have to lower thier prices to move it.

Now with that said, when the proposed legislation is introduced later this month it may very well set off another buying wave.

Way too deep and lengthy of a debate to get into on that subject, don't desire to even start. All Im saying is that to compare AR-15's and plastic magazines to gasoline and milk when folks are hurting is laughable at best. I have literally seen people die as a result of not being able to keep up with the rising price of oil and in turn not having the funds to heat their home which forced them to exercise dangerous measures in an attempt to survive, all while someone was getting stupid rich. I know Govt is [bleep] on just about every level but some price gouging and the greed that drives prices up and down unnecessarily has to be controlled by someone/something, we humans are our own worst enemies!
Posted By: Cold Zero Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
AKCub, can you post a link to the Texas Forum you referred to ? Thanks.

Glad to see the AR forum here is active.
Its not an AR forum, its just that so many guys down here have and use AR's that the firearms classifieds has tons of AR and AR accessories for sale.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/38/6/Firearms_Sales_Trades_and_Guns

Posted By: Cold Zero Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
Cub, what fast service.

You mean that a lot of guys use the AR platform to hunt with ? That would be shocking to CNN Piers Morgan, who says no one uses it for hunting.

I heard on CNN today that on the White House web site over 107,000 people have signed a petition for Piers Morgan to be deported.

I think unlike most things the Gov't undertakes, that deportation would be a good use of our strained resources.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
i had know problem selling my bushmaster last week at the local gunshow for twice what i payed for it. they were begging for them.

its the american way,if the demand is there sell it.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/08/13
Everything is for sale. The question is, did the person make the right offer. You and I both have a choice and dependent on that we either come to a sale or not. Pretty simple to me.
The true bummer right now is if you use a .223 for hunting and aren't a reloader you cant buy a box of anything to hunt with, the AR high mag use/need has gutted the 223 ammo supply both the blasting cheap stuff and even the normal $20-$30 a box hunting stuff. Glad I don't own a 223!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Way too deep and lengthy of a debate to get into on that subject, don't desire to even start. All Im saying is that to compare AR-15's and plastic magazines to gasoline and milk when folks are hurting is laughable at best. I have literally seen people die as a result of not being able to keep up with the rising price of oil and in turn not having the funds to heat their home which forced them to exercise dangerous measures in an attempt to survive, all while someone was getting stupid rich. I know Govt is [bleep] on just about every level but some price gouging and the greed that drives prices up and down unnecessarily has to be controlled by someone/something, we humans are our own worst enemies!
That is an excellent post. One of the best ever.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
Its not an AR forum, its just that so many guys down here have and use AR's that the firearms classifieds has tons of AR and AR accessories for sale.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/38/6/Firearms_Sales_Trades_and_Guns

Dang, a DPMS heavy barrel for $1300...used. Put up for sale a little after seven this morning and sold before eight. A little over a half hour. Wow.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
These Texas boys are ate up with AR's, never seen anything like it. Many truly think that they will need them to fight the enemy in combat tomorrow, though I am not sure what enemy that is......grin
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
The true bummer right now is if you use a .223 for hunting and aren't a reloader you cant buy a box of anything to hunt with, the AR high mag use/need has gutted the 223 ammo supply both the blasting cheap stuff and even the normal $20-$30 a box hunting stuff. Glad I don't own a 223!

Bought 6 boxes of .223 suitable for hunting (3 each Hornady and Winchester) for $25 each yesterday. No worse than other hunting ammo and not as bad as some. Daughter #3 purchased 500 rounds online for well under $1 each.

Granted, not as cheap as reloading or even $8/box plinking ammo, but better than nothing.

I bought the ammo because I can't find primers.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
It's a sad state of affairs when shooters are the first to try to take advantage of and [bleep] other shooters. People taking advantage and charging double the retail price because of the panic is definately hurting our community. If we're so willing to screw each other, we don't stand a chance against the Left.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
These Texas boys are ate up with AR's, never seen anything like it. Many truly think that they will need them to fight the enemy in combat tomorrow, though I am not sure what enemy that is......grin

Well, aren't you guy's going to succeed from the union soon? If so you'll need every one of them. wink
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by jds44
People taking advantage and charging double the retail price because of the panic is definately hurting our community.

Wrong. Lack of foresight is hurting YOUR community!

When the tornado sirens go off, like they did when the AWB was originally talked about and PASSED, everyone got a BIG wake-up call. Unlike a tornado, we got a BIG break when the ban was allowed to "sunset" and intelligent folks acted accordingly and took the appropriate actions (like buying insurance and/or heading for shelter/safety). YOUR community on the other hand has been caught standing outside wondering what all the noise is about - nothing more - nothing less. This is 100% the fault of the IDIOTS in YOUR community being too stupid and/or lazy to see the writing on the wall. No different than all the folks that chose to ride out Katrina/Sandy instead of evacuate but, unlike THOSE idiots, instead of wanting the government to come in and save your azz, you expect all the intelligent gun owners to do it.

The day you start paying my insurance premiums is the day I'll sell some guns/mags/ammo for less than they're worth..... mad
Posted By: jds44 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
You're mis-reading what I wrote. I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut-off looking to buy and bitching at the prices. I do think it's completely wrong that people within OUR community are trying to screw other members of OUR community.

We need to all be on the same page - united against the people causing the panic - rather than trying to exploit our own to make a quick buck.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Bought 6 boxes of .223 suitable for hunting (3 each Hornady and Winchester) for $25 each yesterday. No worse than other hunting ammo and not as bad as some. Daughter #3 purchased 500 rounds online for well under $1 each.

Granted, not as cheap as reloading or even $8/box plinking ammo, but better than nothing.

I bought the ammo because I can't find primers.

Your lucky, the stores in this city are sold out! Midway USA sold out, Cableas,Bass Pro.....sold out. Your basic hunting stuff Winchester,Remington,Federal,Hornady all of it! I had been tinkering with the idea of buying a 223 for varmint hunting now that I have a place to do it, but thinking 22-250 or 204 might be a smarter alternative for the next year.
I don't think I'm mis-reading you at all.

As an example - I have two brand new Honda EU2000i generators in my garage that have been sitting there, NIB, for a couple years. I bought them to have in case we would ever go through an extended power outage - even though I've never personally BEEN THROUGH an extended power outage. To me, these units are a total waste of money and space and are hopefully going to stay JUST THAT WAY. But, in the event of a serious disruption to our power supply, these would be worth their weight in gold.

If we had a natural disaster (or some other event) that took down our power for an extended period of time, these could easily double in price over night, or worse. So - if I decide to sell them now, NIB, for the $2000 that I paid for them a couple years ago so I can free up the $$ to use for other things (like a hunting lease) - would you be willing to cover the difference in cost/shipping (above and beyond the $2000 that they're worth sitting in my garage) of two new Honda EU2000i generators for my family if I ever need to purchase them in the future and have them shipped to us, next day air, during the aftermath of a natural disaster or some other serious event?
The real issue here isn't price gouging - it's "opportunity cost". I've held back on a lot of "wants" in order to pay off my bills and purchase things I think would be good for my family in bad times. In addition to those two small generators, I've spent a few hundred $$ on some basic food supplies that will stay good for 20-30 years. I hope to HELL that's wasted $$ but if it isn't, it'll be worth WAY more than I spent!

We all choose to spend our money in different ways and there are pros/cons for every choice we make. Would I like to have an ATV? Sure I would - but, in my opinion, I can't afford it. That doesn't mean I couldn't buy it and enjoy it. It means that I have other priorities. Complaining about the choices others make for themselves and how they spend their money is an absolute LIBERAL mind-set and even though it doesn't feel like it because we're talking about gun/mags/ammo, it obviously runs much deeper in some than in others.....
Posted By: NathanL Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
It's almost like reading DU in here. If you believe in price gouging you believe you are ENTITLED to something at the price you deem acceptable. Sorry it doesn't work that way and never will.

If you wanted Pmags for $15 they were that price for the last 3-4 years why didn't you buy any? AR's were pretty low down on the price list since 2009 - so that's 3-4 years you had to buy one.

Now when the talk of not being able to buy another one - possibly forever crops up people expect to pay the same as when you couldn't go to a gun show and not see 250 of them for sale?

Get real people. You aren't entitled to anything, let alone at a price you think is "fair".
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by jds44
You're mis-reading what I wrote. I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut-off looking to buy and bitching at the prices. I do think it's completely wrong that people within OUR community are trying to screw other members of OUR community.

We need to all be on the same page - united against the people causing the panic - rather than trying to exploit our own to make a quick buck.

So in your mind someone in �OUR community� asking current market value for their wares is trying to �screw� the buyers?

Remember that no one is forcing anyone to buy magazines or ammo or anything else. What you ignore is that products have a value that is based on many factors, including purchase cost, replacement cost, time to replace (which might be days, weeks, months or never), market demand and so on. People pay what they do for a lot of reasons and many consider themselves lucky to get hi-cap mags or ammo at any price. Screwed? I don�t think so.

Economics 101....
Economics 101....it really is that easy.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Price gouging!! - 01/10/13
Would you call up a stock broker, real estate broker, commodity broker, or precious metal broker and tell them they are price gouging because they don't want to sell you something at the price they bought it 5 years ago?
The only people bitching about price gouging are the people who were to lazy to buy stuff when it was cheaper and now think everyone owes them a favor.
A guy who is selling a rare pre 64 Winchester for market value is not price gouging because the rifle is worth 15-20 times what he paid for it. Neither is the guy selling AR's or high capacity magazines. NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO BUY ANYTHING.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by NathanL
... If you believe in price gouging you believe you are ENTITLED to something at the price you deem acceptable. Sorry it doesn't work that way and never will.

Exactly. Well said.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/10/13
if you don't want one don't buy it. if you feel like you need one then pay up or shut up.

if you already have one thats now worth twice as much and arefeelin pretty good,just wait our government is fixin to try to [bleep] that up.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Price gouging!! - 01/10/13

stupid is the people are paying it
Posted By: Cold Zero Re: Price gouging!! - 01/11/13
Interesting discussion.

Could I get an opinion on what Hornady TAP Practice .223 75 Gr BTHP case of 1,000 is worth today ? Note this is steel cased ammo.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Price gouging!! - 01/11/13
I don't know, but I might be interested in it. PM me if you've got some and a price.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
WTH is happening to Benelli shotguns? M4's have shot up in price, to over $2000 in many cases mad
Posted By: Auger01 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
WTH is happening to Benelli shotguns? M4's have shot up in price, to over $2000 in many cases mad

Wonder what those Cordobas are going for.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
tex n cal I don't know about in TX but here in CT their isn't a gunshop with product on their selves. Anything worth buying is pretty much gone. The largest gunshop here in CT had a shipment of M&P AR's today I forget how many but they were gone in a flash. Over 300 people waiting in-line to get in the door. This is also a gunshop with a really bad reputation here for sh_tty customer service and bad attitudes from the employee's. Right now it doesn't matter how bad your reputation is, or how high your prices are. Though I will say they did sell the guns for a very fair price.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
Our local shop has 15 or so Windham? AR's for $1500. I don't own one, don't know squat about them. Lots of pistol ammo, and some rifle ammo available, no 223.
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
I can see both sides. Many of you guys are saying the market is what the market is, but comparing it to gold, silver, whatever, is BS. Those things didn't double, triple or even quadruple in price over a 1 week period. This IS price gouging based on fear.

A 90$ stripped lower 4 weeks ago, should not cost 300$ today. The price of raw material didn't go up, price of labor didn't go up, hell cost of gas(shipping) is going DOWN. This is pure market rape, and it is proved that way by major retailers sky rocketing up their prices in the same time frame.

Yes, it is a free market, and something is worth what someone will pay. But a basically over night explosion is never good for any product in any market, unless you are the one profiting which makes you no better for playing on peoples fear, then the people who play on emotions to create those fears ie, the Dems.
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
and I will say, I hope everyone that stocked up on stuff at an inflated price, to try and sell at a triple inflated price, gets [bleep] royally and loses money down the road when prices get reasonable (pending we are still allowed to even posses, purchase or sell this things that is)
Posted By: 700LH Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
Some body must be upside down on a mortgage
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
I can see both sides. Many of you guys are saying the market is what the market is, but comparing it to gold, silver, whatever, is BS. Those things didn't double, triple or even quadruple in price over a 1 week period. This IS price gouging based on fear.

A 90$ stripped lower 4 weeks ago, should not cost 300$ today. The price of raw material didn't go up, price of labor didn't go up, hell cost of gas(shipping) is going DOWN. This is pure market rape, and it is proved that way by major retailers sky rocketing up their prices in the same time frame.

Yes, it is a free market, and something is worth what someone will pay. But a basically over night explosion is never good for any product in any market, unless you are the one profiting which makes you no better for playing on peoples fear, then the people who play on emotions to create those fears ie, the Dems.

What something costs, and what its worth, are mutually exclusive, and completely unrelated.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
"What something costs, and what its worth, are mutually exclusive, and completely unrelated."

I was raised by an old timer, he was 48 when I was born and raised in the depression. He said somewhere along the way in America in his lifetime, things went from being reasonably priced above and beyond the cost to get to market, to whatever the market will bear. This paradigm shift is what we're seeing the backlash to here. It can be traced back to greed and corporate ideology rather than individual ideology.
Individually, we've changed from being responsible and charitable towards one another to cutt-throat, get-what-you-can, it's all about me, like corporations.
I challenge you to think about the way that's changed and how it's hurt this country since my dad was born in 1918.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
You mean the era that began the downfall of this nation? The nearest to Communism that this country has ever been, the era that introduced welfare, Social Security, and a litany of other entitlement programs?

Before that thinly veiled socialist agenda labeled the "New Deal," success and wealth were regarded as the American dream. These ideas have been replaced with wealth redistribution, and the vilification of those who have done well for themselves. Sorry, while I do feel these people truly were the "Greatest Generation," the fallout of what they did still haunts us.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by Fireball2
"What something costs, and what its worth, are mutually exclusive, and completely unrelated."

I was raised by an old timer, he was 48 when I was born and raised in the depression. He said somewhere along the way in America in his lifetime, things went from being reasonably priced above and beyond the cost to get to market, to whatever the market will bear. This paradigm shift is what we're seeing the backlash to here. It can be traced back to greed and corporate ideology rather than individual ideology.
Individually, we've changed from being responsible and charitable towards one another to cutt-throat, get-what-you-can, it's all about me, like corporations.
I challenge you to think about the way that's changed and how it's hurt this country since my dad was born in 1918.

I think you are full of horseschit and have been in Oregon too long.

When I sell something I'm not doing it as a favor to the person buying it. If I was doing them a favor it would be a gift.

If someone hasn't figured out in the last 20 years with the AWB, Obama election (twice) and the runs on stuff they produced then they should pay a penalty for being lazy or unprepared.

You seriously need to read some history of the US if you think capitalism is cut throat today compared to the depression era and prior.

Sorry when you start talking about inidivuals being charitable - in a discussion about the price of ammo and AR's I know you have fallen off the deep end. We're not talking about giving someone water who is thirsty or a starving man some food.

We're talking about a gun, a gun that's been for sale on the open market since 2004 and now suddenly people want them "cheap" after the demand inreased by a gigantic margin...no way.

I tell you what, you sell your AR's for the price they were prior to the CT shooting and see how many of those you sell wind up being resold for more.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13

Did you miss the day in school when they taught basic economics and talked about supply and demand?

DEMAND went up incredibily overnight. Supply didn't increase.

No wonder this country is going down the toilet with so many people in it that can't figure out 8th grade basic economics.

All you people that can't figure that out I would LOVE to know what industry you work in that if you went to work one day and your orders increased from a 2 day backlog to a 1 years backlog you didn't increase the price....
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/12/13
When I sell something I'm not doing it as a favor to the person buying it. If I was doing them a favor it would be a gift.

Exactly!

I spoke to a pard the other day and, quite frankly, he got caught with his pants down in this whole mess. He has some stock on hand, but not enough. He asked about availability of basic .223 ammo for practice and extra mags. I brought him an "extra" (if there is such a thing) mag and a couple hundred rounds of Wolf from the safe.

I have cases of .223 that I could probably be talked into selling. If I were to do so you can bet I'd make a profit. I wouldn't go crazy, but it would be worth my while. To those I wouldn't want to make a profit off, I give it to.

George
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/14/13

and I will say, I hope everyone that stocked up on stuff at an inflated price, to try and sell at a triple inflated price, gets [bleep] royally and loses money down the road when prices get reasonable (pending we are still allowed to even posses, purchase or sell this things that is)

Sounds like you have anger management issues.

A $90 lower a few weeks ago, when free-will transactions set the market value, is worth exactly what free-will transactions determine the value to be today. Only when and if the gun grabbers fail and supply catches up to demand will they be worth $90 again. A 3x price today may be tomorrow's bargain.

As far as the "overnight explosion" in prices, that is very good for the market as it helps ensure a higher supply. Manufacturers are already ramping up production. This weekend I was in a gun shop in Parker and where the wall was once lined with bolt and lever rifles it was lined with used ARs, many of which I suspect were on consignment. There are still plenty of ARs available ONLY because prices have gone up.

By the way, watch gold and silver prices next time we have a crisis of faith in the dollar. Gold prices have more than tripled since 2005, which means the dollar has lost about 70% of its value in that time. Expect the trend to continue. Gold and silver, like ARs and ammo, will have great value when the dollar is worth no more than toilet paper.

Originally Posted by Fireball2

Since you feel that way, I'm sure there are plenty here that are more than willing to help you assuage your guile and by buying all your pre-Connecticut ARs and ammo for 10% over what you paid for them. A more than "fair" offer, don't you think?
Originally Posted by NathanL

Exactly. I bought two Rock River LAR-15's as Christmas gifts for two of my daughters. (The other received a Kimber .45 and all got what they wanted.) The cost of the ARs was $829 each.

It wouldn't have been hard to keep the ARs as I could have easily doubled or tripled my investment. But no, that wasn't why I bought them and Christmas morning I had three VERY happy young ladies. (Four, actually, as my wife got a shotgun for home defense to go with the .327 Federal she already had.)

The value of those AR's as a gift far exceeded the value they had for resale.
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Price gouging!! - 01/17/13
Wait a few weeks when the sellers become criminals having this in stock and they will sell it cheap.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by DayPacker
Wait a few weeks when the sellers become criminals having this in stock and they will sell it cheap.

There's not going to be a federal ban as one would be absolutely toxic to re-election plans for people that vote for it. Lot's of noise but not much else. Even Sen. Reid won't commit that a ban could pass the Senate and admits it doesn't stand a chance in the House.

I don't think Colorado will do anything either, same reasons.

Meanwhile I think its a toss-up if prices are going to go up or down in the near term. Talk of a ban in the Senate could spur sales even higher.

A couple of days ago I bought a new Rock River lower to go with my Rock River Coyote .223/5.56 upper. Now I just need to find a bolt carrier group and charging handle. Might sell both Ar-15's and just keep my leverguns and handguns for defense. If prices continue to climb the decision might get real easy...
Posted By: mauser416 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13

Consider the fact that someone who makes a living out of selling AR's and such may soon no longer be able to do so. I know it is irritating but is the seller the cause of the inflation? Nope, it is the politicians who are already beating the gun ban war drums.
Posted By: Jensen Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13

addicted
I'm getting increasingly sick of people whining about price gouging in a free market.
In your own word GFY!
I have several AR's. I'm going to sell them when it REALLY gets bad. So bend over if you want one of mine.
No sales to whiners.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
Hey they learned it from government!

Originally Posted by Jensen

addicted
I'm getting increasingly sick of people whining about price gouging in a free market.
In your own word GFY!
I have several AR's. I'm going to sell them when it REALLY gets bad. So bend over if you want one of mine.
No sales to whiners.

Allow me to be blunt stick your guns where the sun don't shine!
Posted By: Rusky Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
OK, what do you think will happen to the prices in 6 months from now? Are the panic buyers wasting their money buying now? We know from the past panics things will calm down after the democrats fail AGAIN to ban guns in America. Remember 2008? When the bat eared freak was elected?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by Rusky
OK, what do you think will happen to the prices in 6 months from now? Are the panic buyers wasting their money buying now? We know from the past panics things will calm down after the democrats fail AGAIN to ban guns in America. Remember 2008? When the bat eared freak was elected?
I'll play the speculation game.

I think you'll see in the next week or so, a slight downturn in prices due to the perception that it's all over because Obama's EO's looked so weak and also because a lot of people are out of money and the initial frenzy is over. I think that as soon as the Bills start hitting the floor of Congress though and also depending on how much the media and Obama himself harp it up, you'll see continued high prices with pockets of frenzied buying. I predict that unless you can score one from Walmart or someplace like that as they limp in from the supply chain, the days of $600 Sporticals and $1200 Colts are over for a few months and they will only be back to those cheap prices if we dodge the bullet on new legislation-which I think we will. We are not out of the woods yet though. I think hi caps are gonna be high dollar for awhile. Probably not $100 for PMags but probably $30-50 depending on where you buy. I have no idea about ammo, components or accessories.
Posted By: Boococky Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Rusky
I'll play the speculation game.

I think you'll see in the next week or so, a slight downturn in prices due to the perception that it's all over because Obama's EO's looked so weak and also because a lot of people are out of money and the initial frenzy is over. I think that as soon as the Bills start hitting the floor of Congress though and also depending on how much the media and Obama himself harp it up, you'll see continued high prices with pockets of frenzied buying. I predict that unless you can score one from Walmart or someplace like that as they limp in from the supply chain, the days of $600 Sporticals and $1200 Colts are over for a few months and they will only be back to those cheap prices if we dodge the bullet on new legislation-which I think we will. We are not out of the woods yet though. I think hi caps are gonna be high dollar for awhile. Probably not $100 for PMags but probably $30-50 depending on where you buy. I have no idea about ammo, components or accessories.

I would have to agree 100% my friend
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
whistle

The prices for mags should hit bottom in a few days. They will all be coming from NY. Sell out of State, Destroy, or become a criminal. sick
Posted By: nhFrank Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
ok so If I was to sell my Amourlite M15 carbine what should I ask for it??
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/18/13
Pretty much agree with what you said. However some states will see more stupid laws.

As far as NYer's flooding the market with magazines don't hold your breath on that one.
Posted By: TWR Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
Weren't they limited to 10 anyway?
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
I believe so but grandfathered.
Posted By: TWR Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
Does or did the new law do away with the Grandfather status?
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
Yes, no grandfathered pre 1994 hi cap mags, not legal to own anymore in NY.

Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by Timberbuck

Sounds like a 5th Amendment lawsuit waiting to happen.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
I'm curious what all the NY owners of handguns with 8+ capacity mags are going to do. My guess is you can't get 7-round mags for many of them?

My Browning BDM is an example, bought it with two 15-rounders, lately purchased two more 10 rounders. No such thing as a 7-round mag that I know of. Glad I don't live in NY but if I did I'd be keeping the all of them.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Timberbuck

Sounds like a 5th Amendment lawsuit waiting to happen.

Dont see where the Illeagal taking is, this is their options

Ammunition magazines will be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines will have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine will face a misdemeanor charge.

So its their option, Sell em, destroy em, or keep em and become a criminal. They arent coming to take them away.
Some things to think about having a misdemeanor gun charge on your record.
Other than being denied such things as a mortgage, car loan, or even a job, here in nebraska getting convicted of a misdemeanor with a firearm involved means the local authorities can deny you a weapons purchase permit, and also make it to where you cant own/ possess a firearm in certain localities.
WOW talk about [bleep] up your life.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Price gouging!! - 01/20/13
Went to a gun show yester day and some guys had some stuff beyond gouging. First thing I'd look at was the mags. A few guys raised the mags a little. I saw Pmags at more the one table for $100 each. Seller: Can I help you. Seriously looking at your prices the only one you're trying to help is yourself. NO!

My buddy rented a table he hadn't raised his prices on his guns he had a berry good day he sold 6 of his M1 Cabines and a few hand guns.
Posted By: mauser416 Re: Price gouging!! - 01/20/13
If I read correctly, in NY mags over 10 are high cap and illegal. Mags holding 10 and under can only be loaded with 7. Loading them with 8 makes it criminal.

Again, why all of this moaning about gouging? Did all of these guys conspire to drive up the prices? NO! The current administration is the cause of the crisis. Why do we keep complaining about the sellers? They didn't do it! How much would you pay for an AR if production stopped completely forever? That is why prices are higher. The fear that they may not be obtainable in the future due to the PRESIDENT's actions and words not from the words and actions of sellers. If you don't like the price don't buy it! The you won't be gouged. OF course if you cannot get one later...
© 24hourcampfire