Home
Posted By: Reba AR is it possible? - 01/11/13
I read an article in "American Hunter" and the author stated; "My rifle is a delight to hunt with; the diminutive package weights only 5.25 pounds. It features a thin, 16 inch fluted barrel."

The rifle is an AR15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

Is it possible to build a 5.25 pound AR15? I assume this weight is without sights or scope.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: AR is it possible? - 01/11/13
My lighest is a Cav Arms lower at 2lb 5oz, with upper consisting of an A3 flattop with BUIS, Bushmaster pencil barrel with a Vortex hider, and a YHM aluminum FF handguard. The upper weighs 3# 15oz, putting the total at 6 1/4 lb. The only way to lighten this on up would be a carbon fiber handguard.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: AR is it possible? - 01/11/13
i have done it in 223. very inexpensive build before the shtf. you will have to use a poly or carbon lower. i had a plumcrazy complete lower with a red x arms pencil barreled carbine length upper that weighed right at 5.25lbs. a loaded mag and any kind of optics will push it up fast. i had 473.00 in that ar brand new.
Posted By: TWR Re: AR is it possible? - 01/11/13
Saw a thread on another forum where the guys poly trigger broke in his plum stupid lower... With the current climate, I'd stay away from anything questionable especially when trying to save a pound.
http://www.thenpha.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=101172#Post101172
For the nay sayers...

That said, using a low mass buffer, carrier and the lightest components you can find, 5.6-6 pounds is gonna be it. I'm a fan of light weight barrels and light weight guns but 7 pounds scoped is about as low and you're gonna get.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: AR is it possible? - 01/11/13
I've never heard anything bad about a Cav Arms lower, they aren't made anymore, thanks to the ATF. I had a Bushmaster Carbon 15 that was never very accurate but that could have been the barrel, but I think a non-aluminum upper is a bad idea.
Posted By: TWR Re: AR is it possible? - 01/12/13
Nope Cav Arms was good stuff. I was pointing to the plum stupid/new frontier lowers that everyone was saying were Glock tough and cheap.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: AR is it possible? - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by TWR

That said, using a low mass buffer, carrier and the lightest components you can find, 5.6-6 pounds is gonna be it. I'm a fan of light weight barrels and light weight guns but 7 pounds scoped is about as low and you're gonna get.

Pardon the thread drift but I have to add that the above being an established fact, makes a SCAR 17S's 7.9# weight all the more phenomenal. Add a pound or so for a LW scope and rings of course.
© 24hourcampfire