Home
Who is deer hunting this year and with what!
Probably a .300 BO, with 220 Matchkings subsonic (or similar long bullet). Possibly a 6.8, if so it will be 110gr Noslers most likely.
With the 6.8 it seems most are using the 120gr SST as a factory load. The 6.5 also 123gr SST and Amax. Accubonds and Barnes bullets pretty popular with reloaders.
Possibly. Depends on my mood.

Gonna get some 75 gr TAP for the AR(s). 154 gr SP for the AK, though that's 7.62x39.
If the kids give me a chance to shoot I probably will.

62 grain TBBCs, I used them on two hogs already and they've done great.
.223 65 gr SGK, as usual
Yes.

62TSX,68Hornie HPBT,75Hornie HPBT.
If I go, probably the 55 TSX.

Again...
Haven't built the 300 up yet, and no suppressor as of yet, though plenty of brass, bullets etc....

6mm woa is always loaded with 85 tsx ready to go.

and the 223 is loaded with 75 bthps ready to go.

You never know when I"ll grab one and bust a deer or hog.
Saturday afternoon my grand daughter took her first deer ever with my 16" DPMS Oracle .223 with 65gr. Sierra Gamekings loaded over a max charge of Varget. One shot kill at 20 yards, DRT.

Larry
6.5 DTI-100g Nosler partition. So far have killed 9 with it over the previous two seasons.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TWR
If I go, probably the 55 TSX.

Again...

Me too, be the first try with that bullet, will be powered by CFE-223 in my 16" PSA multi, a Buds having pig problems over on his deer hunting property.

We'll have a spot and smoke weekend on 'em soon.

Gunner
I'm going to us my AR in 6.8 part of the season with the Nosler 110 gr Accubond and AA2200 .
Gunner the pigs are taking over here in Oklahoma. I'm using TAC I think and getting a little over 3000 fps in my 16" carbine best I remember. Be interested to hear how the CFE works out for you.

I know pigs are tough but cuzz killed one with his 17 Rem and a 20 gr bullet. I've killed one with a 44 sp but the rest have fallen to mostly 50 gr NBT's. Another pard killed right at 20 with his 22 mag.

But good bullets might kill em even deader.
Originally Posted by Boxer
Yes.

62TSX,68Hornie HPBT,75Hornie HPBT.

Lil Fish,

Going with the 68 Hor HPBT. Cool me too. laugh

Sure hope it works cause I heard it was the same form factor as the 75gr but with a little less lead in the core.

Any truth to the rumors??? laugh
My wife will run 55 TTSX over 24 WC844 on Missouri deer
Midway has some hard cast, flat nosed 220's for the .300 BO. If they feed in an AR they might be interesting.
I've used a 6.8 with a 100gr. Accubond for the last three years.
Originally Posted by TWR
Gunner the pigs are taking over here in Oklahoma. I'm using TAC I think and getting a little over 3000 fps in my 16" carbine best I remember. Be interested to hear how the CFE works out for you.

I know pigs are tough but cuzz killed one with his 17 Rem and a 20 gr bullet. I've killed one with a 44 sp but the rest have fallen to mostly 50 gr NBT's. Another pard killed right at 20 with his 22 mag.

But good bullets might kill em even deader.

Yes they are, Buds place is up near Lake Tenkiller, figuring the 55 gr TSX's placed well will insure a clean kill so's we can quickly move to the next group of recipients. grin

Gunner
5.56 - 62 TSX

300 BO - 110 TAC-TX
6.8 with 110 accubonds at 2750 have killed my last 6 deer. It hurts em good.
5.56 w/60 gr Nosler Partition. Might even try 64 gr Winchester Power Points for something different.
Opening day of general gun season, which is next Saturday here in my area of Florida, I'll be out with a CVA single shot .223
The load will be a 64 grain Winchester SP over H335 powder. It's more than adequate so far as accuracy goes, and it will certainly kill a Florida deer.
I am taking my old Bushmaster XM15-E2S as well. It is sighted in now, and ready to go.
[Linked Image]
We drove to Disney in September and goodness gracious we saw a lot of deer along the highway. I didn't notice their size, other than thinking "dang that's beat up my car to hit one".
Originally Posted by cra1948
.223 65 gr SGK, as usual

Same...
I forgot to add that the kids will be using their 6x45 with 80 grain TTSXs this year. It's a bolt gun, but the chamfering is no different than an AR.

So far they've plugged one doe with it this year. 60ish yards quartering to us, bang flop pass through.
Spikes Tactical, down in Apopka Florida, chambers AR barrels for that 6X45. I am thinking that for next hunting season, I need one of those in a new flat top upper for my old Colt HBAR. That would make a dandy Florida Deer rifle.
300 Blackout, 125 nosler ballistic tips, 18.5 gr H110. Taken loads of deer since 2001 with the 300 whisper using this load. Subsonic, 220 gr outlaw state bullet, 11.1 gr AA 1680 powder. Shoots real quiet through the suppressor and is an absolute hammer on deer.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We drove to Disney in September and goodness gracious we saw a lot of deer along the highway. I didn't notice their size, other than thinking "dang that's beat up my car to hit one".

Last two bucks I've taken went 160lbs. Central Florida deer can still ruin a front end on a car/truck.
6.8spc:
110gr Nosler Accubond, 27gr RL-10x, supersonic.
200gr Woodleigh PP, 14.3gr H-4895 subsonic.
6.8 SPC II, 85gr E-tips.

5.56, 53gr TSX.
Will probably use my 6x45 with a Sierra 85gr HPBT to take a doe.
I will be using 70 gr Speers and WC846 in the 223 upper and 123 gr Hornadys in the 7.62X39 upper, also with WC846.

6.8 with Fusion ammo until I get a TTSX load put together.

Will also be using my 16" .308 with Nosler Custom E-Tip ammo bought on sale from SPS.
I may take my RRA PP. Have taken 2 bucks and a coyote with it thus far, via 70gr TSXs........
Planning to use my late Dad's Liberty Model Mini-14 w iron sights and 55 gr. TSX factory loads out at least once this season. Hope to kill one with it and his ol' 77 Tang .300WM.

Used the same loads on a buck last December from a Sabre Defence I set up w CMC flat trigger and 2.5X Leupold HD for my nephew.

If I get my DD LW Mid-length Featherweight Perimeter carbine built in time, I may use 75 gr. TAP. My youngest killed a couple does with a Colt HBAR 16-in. few years back with that load.

Looked like they were hit with a .308. Big exits.
Originally Posted by greentimber
........Will also be using my 16" .308 with Nosler Custom E-Tip ammo bought on sale from SPS.

Dropped the hammer on this guy Saturday evening (KY opener) with the 16" 308 AR & load mentioned above. Fortunately he's the SECOND biggest buck my landowning buddy has on his place! grin I would have felt a little bad about crashing his hopes of shooting the big one he has on camera all the way back in the summer. Maybe. laugh

The short AR was great for the extremely thick woods I hunted. The quick second shot was also great, though it was not needed in the end. Insurance never hurts. After dropping on the first shot, the buck was able to get back on his feet and try to run. Though he was obviously wobbly, I put another round into him as he ran. That ceased hostilities immediately. Neither bullet was recovered. Muzzle velocity was 2500fps. Impact velocity was close to 2400fps. Though the E-Tip load isn't that accurate, it's certainly good enough for the woods and out to 300 yards or so. This was a HUGE-bodied deer for the area @ well over 200lbs. He was in a briar thicket at the bttom of a ravine so inhospitable that no one in their right mind would ever go in there. If I'd known how bad the retrieval was going to be, I'd have probably let him walk!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep, this just happened:

[Linked Image]

Note the HAWG nontypical on the floor in front of my deer! This thing was amazing. (not my deer)

[Linked Image]

Couple better shots:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good Lawd!
My sons both got their first bucks within the last two weeks using same rifle. Winchester 55gr. Ranger Supreme Ballistic Silver Tip

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Each was shot between 50-75 yards. 7 point dropped and spike went about 20 yards. Bushy with WhiteOak match barrel and CMC trigger.
two happy Hunters , Congratulation to both
txbrass,2 good lookin hunters you have there. great pics.congrats to both boys.

i'm shooting 110 sierra pro hunters in my 6.8 this season
TXBRASS for the win! Fantastic job Dad.
that is a nice deer!
223/5.56;I tried the Winny 64 gr power point since Id heard it was a good bullet for deer and hogs. Only shot one doe on crop damage permit and it died where we couldn't find it,. Did not get a pass thru, and consequently no blood trail. I think Ill stick to Nosler partitions and Barnes TXs
Originally Posted by rogn
223/5.56;I tried the Winny 64 gr power point since Id heard it was a good bullet for deer and hogs. Only shot one doe on crop damage permit and it died where we couldn't find it,. Did not get a pass thru, and consequently no blood trail. I think Ill stick to Nosler partitions and Barnes TXs

I also used the 64PP ONCE and will never use it again. Absolute disaster. Even the finishing shot didn't finish it. I hate seeing animals suffer and that's what I got from the 64PP. There are far too many good bullets for the .22CF cartridges today to use the Pp turd.
6.5 Grendel with 123gr Hornady SST's in front of 30 gr CFE 223 for me here in WI. Would really like to harvest my first AR buck
5.56 with 40g Nosler BT's using RL-7.
Originally Posted by rogn

10-4, I killed a small 7 point pot roast deer last weekend with a 75 grain barnes shot thru the shoulder it did not exit and no blood trail. I found him about 50 yards away as I listened to him running as he fled the scene. I am going back to the 62 grain TSX for the rest of this season. A small exit wound is better than no exit wound.
Congrats to the young boys!! Super!!

I have had good luck with 64g Win PPs on deer-we (kids mostly)have killed 6-8 and every one was a pass through-some were bam flops some were short death runs pretty much within sight.
you shoot lungs?
After Midway's package this week and shooting it in tonight it looks like 5.56, 60 Nosler Partition over case full of 3031 at least some of the time.

No one had the Noslers and then late last week everyone had them in stock.
Daughter #1 informed me tonight she will be requiring one of my AR's to hunt with next week. I think the Colt/mutt with the ACOG will fit her just fine and it will be shooting the 55 TSX's.

Pics to follow hopefully.
Me and my buds killed 4 caribou this year with AR rifles, 70 grain TSX bullets pushed by 22.5 grains of TAC. All critters were dead when they hit the ground. No big deal, did the same thing last year.
Originally Posted by Donner
Me and my buds killed 4 caribou this year with AR rifles, 70 grain TSX bullets pushed by 22.5 grains of TAC. All critters were dead when they hit the ground. No big deal, did the same thing last year.

That load sounds pretty slow. What was your velocity? I would have thought you could easily go to 24ish grains with no problem and get the velocity up for the TSX bullets.
Never did run it over the chrony. Lack of time and extras. I had to put a wanted to buy add in the on line classifieds to even come up with a pound of TAC prior to season this year.(loading for 4 others). Since it worked good the year before I went with it.
Pretty sure 62 grainers would punch right through as well.
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
5.56 - 62 TSX

300 BO - 110 TAC-TX

+1
I hunted this year with my Stag 6.8spc and RRA LAR-8 in 308. I killed a spike buck at 170yds with the SPC. I used a 110gr Sierra over Rel-10.

Deer didn't cooperate when carrying the 308, but it was loaded with 150gr SST over 748.
ordered some 220 gr Outlaw state bullets for the .300 BO. Not sure they will arrive in time for deer, but might be good for hogs... smile
Forgot about this thread, daughter killed a doe, perfect shot right behind the front leg. Deer ran about 50 yards and killed over, 55 gr TSX is still flying?
[Linked Image]
Doe season starts this weekend through next weekend so she still has my gun. I hope she brings it home after that...
Nice deer! and you just lost a gun!
I shot this buck with the 68gr Hor HPBT. At 500yds the bullet performance was not exactly great. Won't be doing that again but the buck only made 75yds before going down. Semi auto feature was needed.

[Linked Image]

Jeff got a nice buck with the same bullet and at 200yds it worked perfectly.

[Linked Image]
I'm using .300 Blkt with 125gr Remington Cor-lokt reloads, since my state doesn't allow deer hunting with .22 centerfires.
100 accubonds in the 6.8 and 70 grn tsx in the .223, both are killers
Interesting year for me. Never took an AR out of the safe. Very strange but the times just didn't allow for it.

Used reduced 243 loads in Rem 788, Rem 700 in 308, 94 in 30-30, and lastly a 257 wtby.

Hard to believe my season is done, no more time to hunt left, same with duck even though both are still open, and I never pulled the trigger on any of my ARs.

Some years are like that I guess.
Originally Posted by TWR
Forgot about this thread, daughter killed a doe, perfect shot right behind the front leg. Deer ran about 50 yards and killed over, 55 gr TSX is still flying?
[Linked Image]
Doe season starts this weekend through next weekend so she still has my gun. I hope she brings it home after that...

Many congrats tehre! Great thing to take the kids out!

Jeff
Thanks, although I just loaned her the gun, her husband took her hunting. I never got to go this year. She did get another one.
[Linked Image]
55 TSX and the cheap Colt 16" chrome lined barrel with the 3x ACOG, she must be lucky I guess. wink
Nah, can't be... killed deer with a 223, factory cold and low mag scope....

Again, good job!!!Can't kill em without the gun!
Oh and the bullet is still flying on this one too...

But I'm sure the 6.8, 300 BO or even a heavy AR-10 would've killed em deader.
John, was the semi auto feature needed on Jeff's buck?

Randy
Originally Posted by Redhill
5.56 with 40g Nosler BT's using RL-7.

For deer...seriously?
© 24hourcampfire