Home
Brwonell SS or ceramic spring? Mag pull 30, or is there a better $10-$12 choice? Skool me, please.
I dont think you can beat Magpul pmags for the money. I prefer them over the USGI/Brownells mags.
Magpul
DSG has Gen2 PMags for $9.

http://dsgarms.com/category/515_1/30round_.aspx
Magpul
My son who was very dependent on mags for M-4's and 110's said its not a question----Magpul
Wow. Thanks.
M3 PMAGS & never look back.
You know I have to wonder why so many reccomend pmags. Think about it, the 3rd generation hasn't been out long enough to be fully tested and the earlier versions weren't fool proof but they won favor thanks to the internet.

I prefer USGI mags with the Magpul follower for 30's and the old USGI 20's with the alloy follower have been flawless for me.

I have several pmags and like them but I've had some that wouldn't drop free and at least one that cracked down the spine. I find myself using them and saving my USGI mags though. I like them well enough don't get me wrong but I don't think you can beat a true USGI mag with a Magpul follower. And I sure miss the days of surplus $4.00 20 rd mags that could be found everywhere.
Magpuls are the best for the money for 30 rounders.

But for 20 round mags, I actually prefer the Canadian mfg Thermolds. I know people who say they are trash. But I've been using them for 20 years & have NEVER had a problem with them or a failure to feed. JMHO.
Originally Posted by TWR
You know I have to wonder why so many reccomend pmags.

Monkey see monkey do.
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by TWR
You know I have to wonder why so many reccomend pmags.

Monkey see monkey do.

No, not really. But he hit the mark with the post not quoted.

It's their springs and followers that make them better. It's cheap enough to just buy pmags and be done with it. They are good quality.

But I'd never throw away the USGI metal bodies. Just add magpul springs and followers and you're good to go.

So if I'm buying all new, it's pmags. If I'm repairing old mags, it's new spring and follower from pmag.
I've used some DSG metal mags that come with Magpul followers for all of this year and heave been great. They run around $12 but you can sometimes order ten for $100. Pretty good deal.

I have mostly metal mags, except for Pmag 40s, which are far and away better than the Surefire 60s if you're wanting more capacity.

Another plus is that nobody wants metal mags so you don't have to worry about sticky fingers picking them up.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Magpuls are the best for the money for 30 rounders.

But for 20 round mags, I actually prefer the Canadian mfg Thermolds. I know people who say they are trash. But I've been using them for 20 years & have NEVER had a problem with them or a failure to feed. JMHO.

I agree with you about those Thermolds 20 rounders. Never falters and not as heavy or as long when loaded with 14-16 rounds while hunting.
most everyone uses magpull pmags
I have found that USGI mags swell over time when loaded and will not drop free. I have not had this problem with the Magpul gen2 mags. Also, any magazine related issues I have had were from bad USGI mags.

I'm not claiming they are the best mag available but I feel confident saying they are the best value.
I got twenty of these from DSG that are made by D&H that have been great mags. I also have some MagPul but only get them with the cap as I've heard of the lips spreading if the cap isn't in place and they are left loaded for a long period.

There are some cheap crap mags that are passed off as "USGI" but the ones I've used that were real GI mags were fine. The ones dropping them onto rocks or concrete can wind up with bent feed lips just like any other mag.

I'll never be as hard on my stuff as the GI's are now in the sandbox, so I'll probably never wear out what I've got.
What about Troy? I see them on sale for < $9?
Lancer AWM
Best USGI (Okay,Colt,NMHTG) with magpul followers.
I've been using those DSG mags this year and they've been great.
Ed I got my new troys in the mail and have put about 100 rounds through each with zero problems. I am still not sure about the rubber grab/bump pad on the bottom but they have enough texturing on the bottom to feel good and are slimmer than the Pmag.
Varmintsinc, did your Troys come with the replacement floor plates? I bought some of the Troy mags when you posted the link to Primary, and mine came with flat floor plates that you can use to replace the ones with the grab handle. I don't really care for that grabber either.
Mine came with the grabber installed and extra base plates that are clean. Right now I have a few each way to see how I like them. I am using an open top kydex carrier so it does not really matter. I think if I was using a tighter fit on a compression mag pouch I would go with the grabber thing for extra help on pulling from a deep or tight pouch.
Good to hear. I ordered ten.
© 24hourcampfire