Home
Posted By: jarhead88 AR front end question - 11/21/13
I have an AR with a A2 front hand guard. I got an upper with a low profile gas tube stop so I can eventually put on a free float rail.
I was shooting it the other day trying to sight in my scope. (shooting from a table with sandbags) I was also sighting in my Mini 14 and noticed it was more consistent and accurate. groupings were much tighter.
i have read that the front end not being free float can make a difference.
My question is how much does it affect the accuracy/consistency?
I don't have the best scope on it. I am planing on replacing the scope and getting a FF rail.. which one do I do first?
thanks for the help,
I just converted my RRA upper which had a gas block FSB and standard handguard over to a midwest industries free float. I didn't notice a difference in accuracy. now granted I didn't shoot the gun configured the old way that much. I think it would make the gun more consistent and keep POI from wondering. does that mean more accuracy, maybe at least to the extent your POI is wondering because of it. I highly recommend a midwest gen 2 ss rail, they are so clean and light. infact someone right here mentioned them one time and I checked it out. they are the best FF tube I can find for the money, so whomever that was thanks. it really cleans up the gun and looks great.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: AR front end question - 11/21/13
What a FF tube will do is make it more consistent from varied positions, IE, prone, barricade, kneeling etc.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR front end question - 11/21/13
Originally Posted by jarhead88
I have an AR with a A2 front hand guard. I got an upper with a low profile gas tube stop so I can eventually put on a free float rail.
I was shooting it the other day trying to sight in my scope. (shooting from a table with sandbags) I was also sighting in my Mini 14 and noticed it was more consistent and accurate. groupings were much tighter.
i have read that the front end not being free float can make a difference.
My question is how much does it affect the accuracy/consistency?
I don't have the best scope on it. I am planing on replacing the scope and getting a FF rail.. which one do I do first?
thanks for the help,

What ammunition are you shooting 55 grain XM193 not the best to figure out accuracy with if that is what your using. Then if your mini 14 is producing tighter groups than your AR 15 then your AR or AR scope has serious problems. My pencil barrel Colt 6720 with standard plastic forearm and with its factory cheap chrome lined colt barrel will shoot 1/2 groups at 100 yards with Sierra 65 grain game kings over Varget from a good bench rest.

The worst AR out there with a reasonable barrel on it will out shoot most any box stock mini 14.

Replace your scope first and then try some factory loaded 77 grain matchkings.

If your groups don't get better than the mini 14 its likely a bad barrel on the AR so replace that before its a free float tube job.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: AR front end question - 11/21/13
Definately put a decent scope on it first. A chrome lined barrel and standard handguard should be capable of 1 1/2 moa with most ammo, should be around moa with favored ammo.

Honestly unless you have a match grade barrel I doubt you'll see an accuracy increase with a ff tube.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR front end question - 11/21/13
Put the front rest on the bench, as close to the mag well as you can. YOu'll see how accurate your barrel is then. Expect no better than that by simply putting a float tube on the gun.

But the tube will negate sling tension etc... effects as you keep shooting.
Posted By: jarhead88 Re: AR front end question - 11/22/13
ok, I will go with getting a decent scope first.. it isn't the best so that is where i will focus..
my Mini 14 does have a better scope,
thanks all

any sugguestions for a good scope under $250? I know it's not a lot but it's what i can spend for now.
Posted By: avagadro Re: AR front end question - 11/22/13
Cruise cabelas and bass pro, Elite 3200 & 4200's can often be had for less than that.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: AR front end question - 11/22/13
The elite 3200 10x is an ok skope. The only problem I had was that mine couldn't be focussed to provide a crisp image inside 50 yds. Wasn't a big issue on the AR but drove me nuts on my 10-22. I think they run around $175 on sale.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: AR front end question - 11/22/13
I'm still impressed with my Burris FF2. It ain't amazing, but it's done me very good and is well within your price range.
Posted By: pira114 Re: AR front end question - 11/24/13
Just an example. Tons of scopes to peruse. I do like this one though.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-Riflescope-P51827.aspx

I've used this website many times. Great prices and great customer service.
Posted By: pira114 Re: AR front end question - 11/24/13
By the way, are you positive it's your scope? Borrow a known good scope and check. There's a few more common reasons for loose groups.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR front end question - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by jarhead88
ok, I will go with getting a decent scope first.. it isn't the best so that is where i will focus..
my Mini 14 does have a better scope,
thanks all

any sugguestions for a good scope under $250? I know it's not a lot but it's what i can spend for now.

Burris is a good choice for new or maybe buy a used 2-7 Leupold.

What kind of scope mount are you using? Post a picture of your current set up.
© 24hourcampfire