Home
Posted By: VAhuntr Ruger SR 556 - 04/15/14
Any thoughts on the Ruger SR 556 AR? Thinking about adding a piston driven AR to the collection and have found one new for $899 plus tax.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/15/14
They are decent rifles assuming you like the design and features. I don't care for the proprietary piston upper though. Not only would I rather have the DI gas system, but I would also like the ability to change the barrel or hand guard if I decide to. Stag or Smith & Wesson would be my pick in that price range. A Colt would only be $100 more.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/15/14
No clue why anyone would want a Piston, and for the reasons above, Ruger wouldn't be on my list. An AR isn't nearly as valuable if its not flexible IMHO.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by CBMJR
They are decent rifles assuming you like the design and features. I don't care for the proprietary piston upper though. Not only would I rather have the DI gas system, but I would also like the ability to change the barrel or hand guard if I decide to. Stag or Smith & Wesson would be my pick in that price range. A Colt would only be $100 more.

That is a pretty good point.
Posted By: local_favorite Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/16/14
I agree mostly with the points above. However, the Ruger is a nice rifle for what it is, plus it's a Ruger and their customer service to me has always been worth a good deal to me. I've found them to be a tad front heavy for my liking. Part of that is the piston system.

Bottom line though for me is I'd probably pick it up for the price you quoted. If you changed your mind you undoubtedly could get your money back out of it.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by local_favorite
I agree mostly with the points above. However, the Ruger is a nice rifle for what it is, plus it's a Ruger and their customer service to me has always been worth a good deal to me. I've found them to be a tad front heavy for my liking. Part of that is the piston system.

Bottom line though for me is I'd probably pick it up for the price you quoted. If you changed your mind you undoubtedly could get your money back out of it.

This. Not a huge piston fan but I am a Ruger fan.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/16/14
I like my SR-556. Much.

I guess it is a Ford, Chevy, Dodge situation.
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/16/14
Like mine too. Trigger pull a bit too heavy and it is nose heavy. But if you don't like to tinker with a rifle and like cleaning even less, this is your rifle.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/17/14
I'm pretty torn right now. I may add an Aimpoint and another 1,000 rounds of 5.56 ammo and just keep shooting my current AR.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Ruger SR 556 - 04/17/14
That's never a bad option.
© 24hourcampfire