Home
Posted By: RUM7 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/22/14
I just acquired 1950 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo that has wooden bullets. I think it is old Israeli practice ammo. From what I can tell, it was supposed to splinter as it leaves the barrel.
I figured worst case scenario, that the bullets could be pulled and powder dumped. Then someone would have pre-primed fresh brass to reload. Just curious if anyone had seen something like this before. I can't imagine that anyone would want to actually shoot wood through their gun.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/22/14
well, if vampires are a problem... grin
Posted By: JPro Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/22/14
Organic bullets......
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/22/14
Relabel them as lead free and frangible.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/22/14
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Relabel them as lead free and frangible.

That may work here in Kalifornia.
I could probably charge extra
Posted By: eh76 Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/27/14
laugh
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/27/14
The Swedes had wooden bullets for practice. I believe there was a device that attached to the barrel to splinter the bullets as they left the barrel...
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/27/14
I'll bet it's got Berdan primers, meaning it is worthless.
Posted By: sherp Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/27/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'll bet it's got Berdan primers, meaning it is worthless.

The Berdan primers aren't entirely a problem. I don't think I have ever seen it advised to use brass that began life as blank rounds to make live ammo though.
Posted By: sherp Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/27/14
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
The Swedes had wooden bullets for practice. I believe there was a device that attached to the barrel to splinter the bullets as they left the barrel...

I think Samco was advertising this stuff in the early-mid 1990s, but it was boxed instead of linked back then.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-swedish.html

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=86
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/28/14
Replying to yourself.. Don't you feel at least a little like an idiot for doing that?
Posted By: eh76 Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/30/14
What do you expect from twerp ?
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 7.62 wooden bullets - 07/30/14
Back in the 60's and 70's there was quite a bit of wooden bullet military surplus blank ammunition for sale from mail order distributors such as Hy Hunter and others. I shot up a couple thousand rounds of 8mm and .303 blanks that had wooden bullets.

The wooden bullets were intended to allow normal feeding in military weapons. The rifling was supposed to begin the process of breaking up the bullet, but they were dangerous and I remember hearing of some injuries caused by them when used improperly. The Swedes did have a device that screwed onto the muzzle of their 6.5x55mm rifles that was intended to shred the wooden bullet when firing blank loads.

Blank ammunition was often put up in cartridge cases that were considered defective for use in loading full power ball ammo, so I would not recommend using them for reloading. Also, the powder used in blank ammo is very fast burning and not suitable for use when reloading with conventional bullets.
© 24hourcampfire