Home
Put on a ranier barrel, 18" with midlength gas system, on DPMS LR308, and a brake.

Brass is ejecting back at me hard and bouncing off the brass deflecteor, which has chipped the paint at the sharp edge of the brass deflector and also put a consistent small horizontal crease in the fired brass.

Too much gas I assume???

I got an adjustable gas block installed for that but the sweet spot must almost non-existent. Choke it down and it does not fully eject.
Pig tail gas tube?
Get a super heavy buffer weight? Who what where for that?

How small is the sweet spot on this set screw adjustable gas blocks? I swear it must be less than 1/8th of a turn I am seeing the jamming and then the slamming. Arg.

Arg is pirate talk for "I am frustrated."

Arg arg.

Anybody else been through this?
Yes, I'd start with a heavier buffer weight, and perhaps a different buffer spring.
I put a fuzzy side of velcro on the brass deflector to save my brass.

To set your gas block, set it so that it just barely doesn't lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Then open it back up 1/2 a turn. That should be the sweet spot.

For buffer and spring, I am using the JP SCS and absolutely love it.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Yes, I'd start with a heavier buffer weight, and perhaps a different buffer spring.

This, see if Sprinco offers something for 308 AR's
The fuzzy side velcro and a few coils off the ejector spring would be a start. So that the ejector, when unpinned, sits about 1/8 inch or so IIRC, above the face of the bolt.... I'd have a spare spring handy before I clipped though....just in case.

Too much gas generally shows as lifted rims on firing, IE opening the bolt before the brass shrinks.

Just a slap on the gun, nick the anodizing and ding the brass... every last AR I've had would do that if you didn't play with them a bit and soft coat the deflector.

You'll find if you trim the ejector spring too your brass falls in neater piles, and generally starts falling almost in front of you instead of way off and behind you...

Ours were tuned that if you knew where to place a cap in say sititng rapid fire, all cases would be in the cap after 10 were fired....
Thanks y'all
© 24hourcampfire