Home
Posted By: Snowwolfe Drop in trigger? - 08/03/14
Looking for a quality drop in trigger for my Stag Arms 4L.
Appreciate some input if you have any personal experience with them.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/03/14
3-gun? Hi-power? House-gun/social work? It do matter, IMO.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/03/14
I had a Chip McCormick in my lefty Stag. A definite improvement over the factory mil-spec unit. The only thing I don't care for is the pins are retained by E-clips on the outside. I had no problems with it over 100 rounds or so. I pulled it out when I sold the gun, still have it if you're interested.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/03/14
Geissele SSA-E pricy but worth every cent!
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/03/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
3-gun? Hi-power? House-gun/social work? It do matter, IMO.

Just as a plinker/house gun/shooting varmints off the back porch. Like to keep the cost around $100 or less.
Posted By: hillbill Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/03/14
rock river two stage varmint will fill your needs and your price point. ALG if you must have a single stage, a big step above milspec.
Posted By: GBLars Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/05/14
Geissele on two AR's. Fantastic trigger. One came on Les Baer and I liked it so much I put one on my RRA national match.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/06/14
Rock River two stage national match trigger is very good for around $100. I have used them in several rifles.
Posted By: 68W Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/06/14
I installed the ALG ACT for $65 recently. Not a top tier trigger but it is a big improvement over a stock/mil-spec trigger. The creep and grit feeling was magnificently improved and trigger pull weight reduced. I'm a very happy user for my work-horse/fighting M4 carbine.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/06/14
what is the difference between the RRA NM and varmint triggers, I know the varmint is a lower pull weight. Are they doing that simply by weaker springs?? does the varmint trigger have a weaker hammer spring and thus be limited to ammo with softer primers as in non military ammo??
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/06/14
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
Rock River two stage national match trigger is very good for around $100. I have used them in several rifles.

^^^This!!!^^^

Great triggers for the money!
Posted By: TWR Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/06/14
They were great triggers at $75 but at the current $120, I'll go Geisselle's cheapest model at $130-150 (watch for sales). But these are two stage triggers.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
there are a couple on ebay for 80 bucks
Posted By: TWR Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
I don't do eBay and wouldn't trust anything on there to be the real deal.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
I don't really blame you but lots on ebay is real. And then lots isn't.

I have not heard of any fake RRAs. Yet.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
there are plenty of era triggers floating around, there is a parts kit with era NM trigger for $150 at a local shop. brown ells has them for 119.
For $139 this Geissele smokes the RR.
http://tradingplacepawn.com/geissele-2-stage.html
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
Originally Posted by TWR
i would not say that. That trigger is still the same weight as the rra unit. The rra unit is a decent trigger just a little heavy though. You need the ssa-e to have a useful upgrade over rra
Posted By: rost495 Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
Knowing Bill Geiselle personally, I"d bet his trigger is an improvement in some ways over the RRA one. Just not like Bill to reproduce someone elses "thing" without some improvements, if nothing else of material quality.

Pull weight is not the only thing to consider. ANd its an easy thing to adjust on top of that.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
After giving this a lot of thought decided the $80 RRA trigger would be fine for my occasional use.
Appreciate all the input.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by TWR
i would not say that. That trigger is still the same weight as the rra unit. The rra unit is a decent trigger just a little heavy though. You need the ssa-e to have a useful upgrade over rra

Have you shot them both?
Funny, I've switched over to them and can tell a worlds of difference.

Having had at least a dozen RR's, I have never seen one that I'd run as issued. I haven't touched the 2 G2S's I have, just put them in and ran them and both are exactly the same pull and break.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
Originally Posted by TWR
Funny, I've switched over to them and can tell a worlds of difference.

Having had at least a dozen RR's, I have never seen one that I'd run as issued. I haven't touched the 2 G2S's I have, just put them in and ran them and both are exactly the same pull and break.

What weight do the G2S's break at?
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/07/14
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by TWR

Have you shot them both?

no but I do have the RRA national match trigger and geissele's high speed match rifle trigger, which is the most expensive ar trigger they have and capable of the lowest pull weights. if I remember correctly. the SSA being mentioned is a non adjustable trigger with about a 4.5 pull. its being compared to the RRA trigger. YES I don't think there is enough of a difference to spend the extra money. The RRA is a great trigger its just a little too heavy thats all. keep in mind I am a trigger snob!!!! or else I would not have spent nearly $300 for that top of the line high speed match rifle trigger. The only way to adjust the pull on either of these triggers is by bending or replacing springs. I tried doing that with my RRA trigger and didn't have good luck doing it.

keep in mind me saying its too heavy, is just me. I run my triggers at 28 oz on bolt guns so I like light stuff!!! with an ar 15 you really want more pull weight and can shoot more pull weight just fine. I actually added more pull weight to my geissele trigger. I adjusted it to 2#'s on the first state and 1# more for the second. for field use I don't think you really want to go less than that.

next trigger I want to try is the SSA-E
Yes 4.5 lbs but it's not the weight that is different since the NM requires a 4.5 lb trigger at a minimum. It's the wall of the second stage and the way it breaks that's superior to the RR. Not to mention doing so with full power springs reducing lock time.

So other than eBay's $80 trigger (close to dealer cost), RR's price is $120, G2S is $139, it's a no brainer.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/08/14
Bending springs to adjust weight is so easy even my dumbazz self can do it.

Every RRA out of the factory has needed tweaking. Yeah they are much better than stock but still far from what a trigger snob would like. I am a trigger snob in many ways too.

28 oz on a bolt gun for me, is WAY heavy. 8-16oz is what I"d like on my good bolt guns.

If I was talking a match bolt gun it would be down around a few oz.

hunting ARs, RRA tuned up, to where you are 2 pounds or 2.5 pounds first stage and 1 pound second stage is plenty weight, seems actually heavy to me, for hunting, but then going lighter with an RRA is simply not safe in an AR.

Having a bunch of RRA triggers, finding Bills for a similar price would be a no brainer. But I"m a bit biased with Bill, that I am aware of. Because of his design intelligence level.
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Drop in trigger? - 08/11/14
Originally Posted by 68W
I installed the ALG ACT for $65 recently. Not a top tier trigger but it is a big improvement over a stock/mil-spec trigger. The creep and grit feeling was magnificently improved and trigger pull weight reduced. I'm a very happy user for my work-horse/fighting M4 carbine.

I have the ACT on all three of my ARs. Can't be beat for the money. I'm used to 3.5-4 lb single stage triggers on bolt guns and the 5.5 lb doesn't bother me at all because it breaks very clean.
© 24hourcampfire