Home
I use an ar 15 quite a bit for coyote hunting. often times its getting out of the truck and loading a round. Typically I don't want to make alot of noise so Its hard to yank the charging handle and let the bolt fly closed. So what ends up happening is my bolt doesn't go all the way into battery. I do use the forward assist sometimes. however it would be better if the bolt just went home slicker and easier. Do the chromed bolt carriers go into battery any easier?? any other suggestions.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
any other suggestions.

Chamber a round before you get out of the truck.
Clean the "teeth" of your bolt and lube well. That should also help with locking up.
I do use the forward assist sometimes. however it would be better if the bolt just went home slicker and easier.

Why?

It's a forward assist. That's what it's supposed to do.
ultra bore coat the lugs and the recesses as best you can. Lube well.

And use the damn forward assist.. . its what its there for.

Not to mention Blue's suggestion.
Always wondered how a coyote could hear the bolt going into battery and not hear the truck.
Hold on to the charging handle When clambering a round. Bump the bolt into battery with the forward assist.

I would avoid trying to "smooth" anything. The carrier rails tend to smooth themselves once you get it broken in. A little grease on the carrier rails and some oil in the buffer spring really tend to quiet things down a bit.
Sounds like you must be shooting a Colt. I'd avoid mil-spec and buy a Rock River. They are generally perfect right out of the box and you won't have these issues.
take out the rear pin, and break it open, pull out the bolt carrier and carefully quietly drop a round into the chamber. Then put it back together not forgetting to cock the hammer, all done quietly. Don't use your headlamp either as they will see it, you need to practice this at home in front of the TV while gun pointing at the TV. If you have an AD, you kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Just be sure no one else is home while your practicing.
And don't forget to not shoot more than 3 rounds at a time as you'll ruin the barrel.
I use an ar 15 quite a bit for coyote hunting. often times its getting out of the truck and loading a round. Typically I don't want to make alot of noise so Its hard to yank the charging handle and let the bolt fly closed. So what ends up happening is my bolt doesn't go all the way into battery. I do use the forward assist sometimes. however it would be better if the bolt just went home slicker and easier. Do the chromed bolt carriers go into battery any easier?? any other suggestions.

Yes.

Polish everywhere that is an engagement surface, carefully. grin

Coat with Dyna Tek gun shield and then bake in your oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Unquestionable increase in slickness. PROFIT. laugh
Why not just get an M231 with no bolt noise until firing?
Thanks, sherp_a_pee!
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Thanks, sherp_a_pee!

Just sherp.

Did you or any of your alter egos even know what I was talking about?
Originally Posted by TWR
Always wondered how a coyote could hear the bolt going into battery and not hear the truck.

Coyotes do hear trucks. They hear them daily. What they don't hear daily is the slamming of a bolt going home. It's unusual to them and alerts them to danger.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by TWR

Coyotes do hear trucks. They hear them daily. What they don't hear daily is the slamming of a bolt going home. It's unusual to them and alerts them to danger.

They teach that in coyote 101?

Ya they hear trucks go by all the time but they go on alert when the truck stops. Charge the chamber before you kill the truck or open the door. But then again I've called and killed coyotes 2 minutes after killing the truck, charging the gun and crawling up in the killing chair down in Texas.

People way overthink some of this stuff.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
any other suggestions.

In Minnesota, and I'm guessing many other states, that would be illegal.
Seriously?

Most vehicle laws are null and void once you get off the road.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
any other suggestions.

Unless you're hunting in the middle of town, who's gonna know?
Originally Posted by TWR
Seriously?

Most vehicle laws are null and void once you get off the road.
Yeah seriously-you can't have a loaded gun in a vehicle unless you have a handicapped permit to hunt from a vehicle.
any other suggestions.

Unless you're hunting in the middle of town, who's gonna know?
That's just like saying if I shoot a doe during buck season and no one sees me do it, who's gonna know?

That's just like saying if I shoot a doe during buck season and no one sees me do it, who's gonna know?

The Game Warden 2 miles away watching you through his spotting scope.
Then leave the motor running and step outside to chamber a round.

But unless you've got a possom cop that just doesn't like you, I don't think anyone with any sense would press you on it unless you're on public ground.

No it's not. It's like saying "Use some common sense and don't make things harder than they have to be".

If all laws are equal and must be obeyed to the letter-100% of the time then we better not speed or roll any stop signs on the way there either.

No it's not. It's like saying "Use some common sense and don't make things harder than they have to be".

If all laws are equal and must be obeyed to the letter-100% of the time then we better not speed or roll any stop signs on the way there either.

You, Sir, are an anarchist and I for one wonder what you will espouse next.

Well?????
I've been known to shoot rapid fire at a range with a "No Rapid Fire" sign.

I let my boys drive four wheelers, in clear violation of the sticker that says "Must be 16 years old".

My truck inspection gets overdue by a month or so every year.

And I rarely have working trailer lights.

Take that .Gov!!!!
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

The Game Warden 2 miles away watching you through his spotting scope.
BINGO!

I let my boys drive four wheelers, in clear violation of the sticker that says "Must be 16 years old".

Take that .Gov!!!!

You are a police officer so you are either explicitly exempt from laws by statute or via lack of enforcement from professional courtesy. There the occasional exception of the feds getting involved such as in cases where local departments clear officers on rape charges and the feds overstep their bounds, but odds are the feds won't get involved in traffic violations.

Take that .Gov!!!!

Stickin it to the man!! I like the way you think.

kwg

Take that .Gov!!!!

Such a rebel, they should lock you up. grin

Take that .Gov!!!!

Don't forget being about a meter and a half, inverted over a Mig28 in a negative 4g dive.

Broke all the rules.
They really hate a fly-by of the control tower!

[Linked Image]

Take that .Gov!!!!

At least your not taking those tags off the mattress.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Take that .Gov!!!!

At least your not taking those tags off the mattress.

Because clearly that would be taking it way too far.

Over on warrior talk they are saying that KY helps this immensely

Take that .Gov!!!!

Dang,you sound about like a normal person. Just like me....
© 24hourcampfire