Home
I am looking at a new red dot, I like my T1 but wish the dot was a bit more precise. The EOtech EXPS version has a 1 MOA dot, but the downside is weight, a 600 hour battery life and expensive CR123 batteries. Who likes the Eotech over the aimpoint any reason you feel its worth the trade off regards the unreal aimpoint battery life?
I don't. I got rid of the one I had and got an Aimpoint. I don't miss anything about the EOTech. I can dim my Aimpoint down enough to make precise enough shots for an AR with a 16" chrome lined barrel with a red dot optic.
I have an Aimpoint. The only advantage to the Eotech is the heads up display for CQB. The "donut" is great for getting rounds on target without precision and the dot for a little more precision.

Red dots are not scopes so you give up accuracy to some extent for speed. It comes down to your specific use? I don't forsee using my AR past 200 yards with a red dot style sight. It is merely a close range (under 100 yards) carbine for me. If you need a longer range rifle then I would switch the caliber and possibly the platform?
I have an T1, and two scoped AR's carbines, this is for an AR pistol.
I prefer the Eotech reticle by a large margin. Up close you can use the big circle to get fast hits. The 1MOA dot will give you surprisingly good accuracy. And the bottom of the big circle is the perfect offset for 7-10 yards, which could be a likely shot for me.

The 4MOA dot reticles are easy to pick up but too big for my uses. I have to turn the 2MOA dot up pretty bright to make it as fast as the eotech and when it's that bright it starts blooming and I lose the precision-ish-ness of the 2MOA dot.

So I prefer the eotech. I've got one now but I'm going to have another Aimpoint in about a month to try again. We'll see if my opinions will change, I've got an open mind about it.

The EoTech has a 1MOA dot, not sure you can get more precise in a red dot. No paralex on them is nice also. If you use a magnifier the dot is still 1MOA for even more precision. 600 hours is a long time, that's 25 days!
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I prefer the Eotech reticle by a large margin. Up close you can use the big circle to get fast hits. The 1MOA dot will give you surprisingly good accuracy. And the bottom of the big circle is the perfect offset for 7-10 yards, which could be a likely shot for me.

The 4MOA dot reticles are easy to pick up but too big for my uses. I have to turn the 2MOA dot up pretty bright to make it as fast as the eotech and when it's that bright it starts blooming and I lose the precision-ish-ness of the 2MOA dot.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. The Aimpoint and EOTech both have things they excel at. I really like the battery life and always ON feature of the Aimpoint but I prefer the EO when I'm pulling the trigger. I can make fast hits with both but can also shoot a pretty tight 100yd group with the EO. It wasn't made for that but it's nice that it can do it.

I own and like both.
Yeah, I did the math one time and it would cost about $30 a year to keep an eotech on. A good bit less for me because there are times when it wouldn't need to be on at all.
I almost feel like I need to try one as I have always bought aimpoints. I looked at the XPS-2 today and the dot seemed sharper by a tiny bit than the aimpoint H1 with 2 MOA dot. The XPS is lower than the EXPS so you have absolute co witness but no QD feature and no NV compatibility. The buttons are in the back, press one and its on vs I never turn the aimpoint off. I was not overly impressed with the beefiness of the way it would attach to the rail but maybe it works I don't know.

Mr. Cruise I know you use them in 3 gun, do you keep them on your patrol rifle as well?
I honestly like the eo-thingy's reticle and have owned a half dozen maybe?
The battery life is better on the new ones I'm told and spare batteries are cheap. I buy CR123's a few dozen at a time.

I prefer the smaller size of the T1/H1, the ruggedness and the battery life but the eo's aren't that big, battery life ain't bad and the new versions seem to be just as rugged. I do like a riser on the eo for a lower 1/3rd co witness.

Everyone's eyes are different so until you run one for yourself, you'll never know which one you prefer.

I may even try another one on the "truck" gun.
My eotech is on my patrol rifle. But I've been shooting my patrol rifle a lot in competition lately. I'm thinking about taking a break from my 1-6 and shooting an eotech for a while (it'd put me in a different class since it's non-magnified). But if I did I'd get the two dot model to help with the long shots. Supposedly you can zero the bottom dot for 500 and the top dot is useable up close.

I also looked at the Leupold dot optic, who knows......

If you have fixed irons I'd definitely look at a lower 1/3 mount. I've got it mounted directly to the rail (absolute cowitness). With the eotech reticle and fixed irons the sight picture got to be very busy and kinda distracting. I'd do a lower 1/3 mount or flip up irons with an eotech.
I have some flip up's on it now, and was thinking the lower mount with absolute co witness would put bullets closer to point of aim for below 25 if zeroed at 50??
I think the mount could make a little difference in cheekweld but I don't think it's enough to make a significant difference in the point of impact. Just guessing.
The XPS2-0 is cheaper than the QD EXPS and the QD option makes it higher with lower 1/3 co witness. I may go cheap. I like the buttons on the back. Look easier to see and find than the ones on the side. Can't figure why the side ones would be better except for magnifier use. On the other hand seeing them makes them easy to actuate.
The height difference is pressing your cheek down vs touching your cheek to the stock. I used a LaRue riser for two reasons:

First it gave me a cleaner sight picture and I like being able to run with a more heads up position for speed.

Second it made the buttons easier to reach with a fixed sight on the rail. The LaRue riser pushes the eo-thingy forward enough to clear. The side mounted buttons were a result of this problem. Of course this was with the longer AA version.
I prefer the Eotech reticle by a large margin. Up close you can use the big circle to get fast hits. The 1MOA dot will give you surprisingly good accuracy. And the bottom of the big circle is the perfect offset for 7-10 yards, which could be a likely shot for

I much prefer the 1"MOA dot on my Eotech for shooting Coyotes & Hogs at the Ranch. And it's precise enough that I can shoot 1.5" 5-shot groups at 100 yards of the bench rest. Batteries are cheap now. You can buy a Dozen 123's online at BatteryJunction.com for $12 bucks and free shipping. Even cheaper if you buy more.

Blue, one question please? You mentioned using the bottom of the big circle for shooting fast at 7 to 10 yards??? Are you using the 6 o'clock point on the big circle for your aiming point ? Or Am I misunderstanding your Post ?

I've got my 1"MOA dot on my Eotech sighted in 3" high at 100 yards for shooting hogs & coyotes in one of our big wheat fields that's over 200 acres, but have never shot anything at 7 yards like you might possibly have to do for your job.
Speed.
hitting a fiddler crab at 10 feet with your AR off hand on the first round is aggravating! grin

I can see using the bottom of the big circle, I think I will try one, just need to decide now between absolute co witness with flip ups or the 1/3 co witness.

I like the QD idea but not sure about the buttons on the side.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Blue, one question please? You mentioned using the bottom of the big circle for shooting fast at 7 to 10 yards??? Are you using the 6 o'clock point on the big circle for your aiming point ? Or Am I misunderstanding your Post ?

Yeah, that's it. The little tit at 6 o'clock on the big circle is what I use as an aiming point at 7-10 yards. You've got several inches of offset at that range and I'd rather aim at what I want to hit with a different part of the reticle than look and aim at what I'm not trying to hit...if that makes sense.
I know the Eotech works in Walmart cause I saw the video! whistle
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yeah, that's it. The little tit at 6 o'clock on the big circle is what I use as an aiming point at 7-10 yards. You've got several inches of offset at that range and I'd rather aim at what I want to hit with a different part of the reticle than look and aim at what I'm not trying to hit...if that makes sense.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
I like EoTech's because I believe I've killed everything I've shot at with one. Well, I did miss a hog on the first shot with a 500 Smith, since I hurried, having to draw, turn it on, and shoot. But it died on the second shot, rather spectacularly. I need another one or two. And I have had Aimpoints.
Is this mounted correctly? Was looking on the web to get a visual on how to mount it.
[Linked Image]
Sure looks backwards to me. WTH ???
Note he is using his irons. Maybe that's where all the dead battery rumors came from, lol.
In use by "professionals" around the world.... grin
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Is this mounted correctly? Was looking on the web to get a visual on how to mount it.
[Linked Image]

I guarantee he uses the word "operator" on a daily basis.
How do you keep a SWAT team out of your house?

Hang a mirror on the front door. While they're checking their hair and adjusting their Oakleys you can slip out the back.

Hang a mirror on the front door. While they're checking their hair and adjusting their Oakleys you can slip out the back.

This coming from a guy with a Tom Cruise avatar..... grin
How do you keep a SWAT team out of your house?

That's TFF!
Originally Posted by CBMJR

This coming from a guy with a Tom Cruise avatar..... grin

Who is Tom Cruise? And I'm confused, do you like the selfie in my avatar or not?
I'm gonna completely leave that AR setup alone..

I've had just 1 Eotech 552.A65 for years for my rifles, mostly been on 1 of my favorite Colt's, loaded for SHTF. That rifle, that optic, have been shot. I switch both around with different optics on different rifles when I'm bored, as I'm sure we all do. Try it on a shotgun. smile You may like it.

The battery thing was solved on Eotech's with the 123's.

Both eyes up front, hit what you want at 100 yds? I like the Eotech.

BTW, I don't dislike Aimpoint's. Shot 'em, like 'em, just haven't had a reason to buy one yet. Nice stuff. JMHO.
© 24hourcampfire