Home
Posted By: CCCC Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
In this case, a Rock River .223. for uses other than normal hunting. Not seeking long explanations - would like to know the chosen equipment and reasons.

Which scope would you mount, how, and why? Thanks.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6 x 42 in LaRue LT-104, chosen for low light close range deer hunting. Kahles 3.5-10 x 50, in LT-104 chosen cause I still have it and can't kill it, Aimpoint T1 in aimpoint supplied QD mount, chosen because its on my home Colt 6720. Eotech XPS2-0, chosen because I never tried one before.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
For my 18" .223 rifle, I went with the Nightforce 2.5-10X42 for its build quality, optical quality, size, and features. I put it in a JP mount due to it's rugged yet lightweight design. I use this rifle for hunting mostly, shooting steel, and the occasional competition.

[Linked Image]SPR by wareagle700, on Flickr

On my .308, I went with a Nightforce 3.5-15X50 in a Nightforce Unimount for the same reasons as above. I wanted a little more magnification for as this rifle as it gets shot out to longer ranges than the .223.

[Linked Image]MATEN by wareagle700, on Flickr
Posted By: TWR Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
What uses "other than hunting" are you talking about?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
Thanks for the info to date.

Uses? Rather local target/competitive shoots and knocking off the occasional careless long-distance coyote here. Heaven forbid one would need to use it for its defensive capabilities, but - .
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
Leupold VXR 4x12 with CDS Dial. It's mounted on my Rem R-15 Hvy Barrel Varmit .223. Perfect for long range Coyotes. Great Glass, Lighted dot on reticle, and love the CDS feature. Also great for Prairie Goats.
Posted By: TWR Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/07/14
The reason I ask is I have an SPR with a Leupold MK4 3.5-10 that I use for long range targets as well as called coyotes.

I have a RECCE with a Leupold VX6 1-6 Firedot that works great for up close and out to 400 yards or a bit further.

Then I have a pencil barreled carbean with a TA33G-H ACOG on it that also works well out to 400 yards but ain't bad up close either.

All mounted in LaRue QD mounts cause I like to shoot irons too.

I just received a SWFA SS 10x MILQUAD scope that I put in an ADM mount to play with at long range steel. The glass is much better than the one I looked at several years ago but I haven't got to twist the turrets much yet. This one will wind up on a 22 but I may look at a 6x mil dot version for an AR if this one lives up to the hype. So far the $300 SS rivals my $1000 MK4 but it's too early to make a determination.

They are a big heavy scope better suited to a heavier gun but still works on a pencil barrel.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/08/14
Colt AR15A2 Government Model with a Burris XTR II 1X-5X-24mm scope in an ARMS #2 carry handle mount and ARMS #21 scope rings. The rifle is used for home defense and 3 gun matches.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/08/14
Leupold VX-3 1.5x5 with Illuminated circle-dot reticle in Weaver 1pc SPR Tactical mount.

Because the low mag & the circle dot illuminated reticle makes CQB target acquisition easy enough & the 5x mag helps target ID at a fair range possible.

The dot is not quite as precise for long(er) range shooting as crosshairs, but on a 2 ft. square target area with a 5x, it's good enough.

Low folded height rear sight provides a backup system.

MM
Posted By: rta48 Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/09/14
I have 2 different uppers that see use for long range fun & hunting. Both have SS 3x9x42 FFP MilQD reticles and both are in SWFA mounts

I really like the milqd reticle from swfa. Lots of room in the erector and both of mine have been twisted and turned and they move spot on.

I have a stock pencil barrel with irons and another with Aimpoint Patrol.

IMO for self defense NOTHING beats irons.

Randy
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/09/14
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 w/ green triangle reticle on DD 16" midlength. Very fast acquisition of targets to 400 yards. Very clear glass. Fiber optic and tritium reticles provide day/night use. very rugged.

mike r
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/11/14
My AR budget is more modest than most, it seems.

Burris Fullfield 2-7x32 Ballistic Plex in high Weaver 4x4 rings atop a Weaver riser block.

I also have a Vortex Strike fire sight for it, but haven't had it mounted in a couple years or so. The low end of the Burris seems to work well enough up close that the Vortex is unnecessary.
I have a Burris FFII 3-9 tactical in a PEPR mount. Tried a VX1 2-7, an Eotech, something else I can't remember. I believe I'll just keep it the way it is now until something breaks.

I had the scope on another rifle and proved itself to be repeatable and I like the turrets w/ the ballistic plex reticle combo. The magnification is fine for as far out as I care to shoot it, and not so big as to be a PITA. The PEPR mount is solid, and simple. My AR is a RR, nothing special. I did put a quad-rail foreend on last year. My handload for it is 26.4 gr Varget, Rem 9 1/2, Hornady 55 sp w/ cannelure. THough it'll shoot most things pretty well. I have some 64 Speer rounds it loves, but wouldn't keep the Winchester powerpoints into much less than 2" if that at 100.

Forgot to add I also have a GG&G flip up rear and the standard front sight.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/11/14
I have a Burris 2x7 E1 in a PEPR mount and that has proven pretty versatile. I have been shooting 3 gun with it, no hunting as of yet. Cost me about $100 so hard to beat.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/11/14
Originally Posted by CCCC
In this case, a Rock River .223. for uses other than normal hunting. Not seeking long explanations - would like to know the chosen equipment and reasons.

Which scope would you mount, how, and why? Thanks.

Paul, the Nightforces are fine, but spendy, costing more than the rifle.

For a general purpose scope, a Leupold VX-R in either 1.25-4, 2-7, or 3x9 is a moderately priced, quality scope, and it has the firedot illuminated dot in the center, if you need to fix a problem in low light. Pick the one that makes the most sense for you. You can also get a Leupold Mark 6 in 1x6, which is an impressive, but likewise spendy scope, and it has a 34mm tube, which is bulky.

The nice part about AR's and their Picatinny rails is you can use a quick detachable mount, swap optics for different situations, and the zero will normally hold within 1 MOA or so. LaRue make a good one, as do other folks, but they are not cheap, either. If you find a scope that you're content to leave on all the time, then a QD mount is not required, and any good mount is fine. Leupold has one that is fairly nice looking but others may be fine, too.

I've got this 1.25-4 VX-R in a Leupold mount on this Armalite .308. Eventually I think I will put a bigger scope on it, but that's down the road.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: warlock Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/12/14
Take a look at what Primary Arms has to offer.
My son has had very good "luck" with them and they don't cost more than the weapon itself.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/13/14
I'm running a NF 2.5-10X32 on my scoped AR. Nice size, great optics and built like a tank.

[Linked Image]

Terry
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/13/14
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 w/ green triangle reticle on DD 16" midlength. Very fast acquisition of targets to 400 yards. Very clear glass. Fiber optic and tritium reticles provide day/night use. very rugged.

mike r

This.

And a SS 6XMQ for shooting long.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/16/14
Nikon P223 3x
Nikon P223 3-9x
Vortex Crosfire II 2-7x.
Real good bang for your buck. Clear, bright and all came with mounts as a package. The Nikons have good resettable turret adjusters. The Vortex has standard adjusters with caps.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/22/14
P223 3X here on a flat top carbine w/16" medium heavy barrel, in Nikon P mounts/rings. Left the A2 front sight on, doesn't cause a problem.

Still can't hunt with an AR here, so no need for more power. Eyes finally got too feeble for the peep sight that was on the critter, so went with the 3X Nikon.
Posted By: Freddy Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/22/14
I have a Vortex crossfire 3x9 mounted on my Rock River Lar 15, it works great and it's clarity is about the best I have seen for a scope costing under $200.00
Posted By: Oklahoma Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/23/14
VX3 3.5X10
VX3 2.5X8
VX2 3X9
VX2 2X7
MARK AR 3X9 (Older Model)
Aim Point PATROL.
Posted By: 260madman Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/23/14
I am using Burris Tac 30s on my 18" and 20". Running a leupold Mark AR Mod1!with Firedot TMR on my 16" 6.8 SPC II. For close work I use a Simmons 1.5-5 shotgun scope with the diamond plex. Had the Simmons for 14 years and it held up to 3" copper solid magnum loads and 150gr of black powder with a 300gr bullet.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/26/14
Leupold MK-AR MOD 1 or the Redfield Battlefield. I like the 3-9x or 2-7 variants.
I really like the Vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp I have on my 308 bolt gun, and I have used one on a buddies long range 223 ar. The vortex viper 6.5-20�44 is also a good scope.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/29/14
It would depend on what the use "other than hunting" was. But I've used two different 1-4s, 1.5-5s, 1-6s, 3-9s, 5-15s, Fixed 3Xs, Aimpoints, Eotechs and irons.

So far the VX6 1-6 has been the best for me.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 10/29/14

1.5X6X42 S&B is what I run on my 6.8. A Meopta 4X 16 on my heavy barrel 223.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 11/02/14
like Colts and the Leupold vx-III and vx3 x40 on a PEPR mount. Experiences shooting this rig? it just works. Others, not as well.

Posted By: rogn Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 11/03/14
I put a 4-16X44 Meopta Meostar on the FAR15 for targets , varmints and turning money into noise at some range. The FAR-10 got a Bushnell 2-7 Elite because the glass is quite good, the field of view is very good at 2X, the mechanics work well, and its pretty much rainproof(all Elites). the scope is also compact and light, this consideration because a 10 is hefty. This ones used for hunting, and an occasional bottle(plastic) popping at good range.
Posted By: TWR Re: Chosen scope for AR? - 11/03/14
The more I play with this 10x SS, the more I question my other scopes.

I think a 6x mil dot version could be very useful on an AR.
© 24hourcampfire