Home
Posted By: Dixie_Dude 300 BO jaming - 10/23/14
Recently built a 300 BO upper. I loaded 3-4 shells at a time in an old 20 round mag. It fired two and jammed on the 3rd one several times. I was going to bring several mags to try. Just wondering if it is the magazine or my weapon. I think it is the magazine. What do you guys think. Got to go back. Oh, the loads were 125 gr. Nosler ballistic tips loaded to a grain below max. I only fired about 6 rounds, two three times. I went to the range at the last minute with a friend and grabbed my stuff. I have got to go back during the week when it is not so crowded.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/23/14
what type of jam?
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/23/14
First thing you always need to do is eliminate the magazine as your suspected point of failure.

After you've do that, give us a better idea of what's happening and we will see what we can do to help.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/23/14
Also, since these are handloads, what overall length are they loaded to?
Posted By: AH64guy Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/24/14
What length of gas system?
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/24/14
It is carbine length. Reloads were just short of maximum length. I've never had trouble with any of my reloads of other calibers, always go bang and usually print a dime at 100, at least my 308 does. I think it is that one old magazine. I'm taking others next time. Oh, it would shoot two, and jam the third about half way in. I was only loading 3 at a time to get an idea of the group. May need to load the whole mag and use another mag. I also am going to take this mag apart and stretch the spring to give some tension back. I've also built two others in 223 and haven't had any problems, but I found a few old 20 rounder mags, and thought I would use them on the 300 to be different from the 223 mags, for a little more safety.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/24/14
Steel mag?

There were a couple of bad contracts, who's name in on the bottom?
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/25/14
I've been busy. Bottom of magazine says:
SANCHEZ ENT.
MANSFIELD, OH
USA

It also has a circle with DSL inside of it. It also has a black follower.

Posted By: bea175 Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/25/14
get a new magazine
Posted By: TWR Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/25/14
Cooper and Sanchez are ones to stay away from. Some may work fine but they had enough problems to be noted and Cooper lost a contract.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/25/14
I've always used the cheap polymer 20 round Canadian Military mags in both of my .300 Blk out AR-15's. Never had a malfunction but I've only shot factory ammo in my guns. I'd try a different mag, first.

Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/29/14
Pmags are $11, you'd be crazy to try and stretch a spring to get a dud magazine to work.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by TWR
Cooper and Sanchez are ones to stay away from. Some may work fine but they had enough problems to be noted and Cooper lost a contract.

There is a proscribed fix for the Cooper and Sanchez magazines.

1. Lay magazine on pavement.
2. Drive over magazine with Suburban, D-9, Humvee, Striker, Bradley, Abrams, or other appropriate vehicle.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/30/14
my BO is fine with Pmags but I prefer Arid Extra Dry for the problem.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: 300 BO jaming - 10/31/14
Don't know when I will get back to the range. I have to complete my honey do list first, probably next week. I will take some various mags including Magpul mags to see if that is it. I used 125 gr bullets and installed them a little shy of max length since I was almost max on powder. No marks on bullets when loading. I also may load 10-15 instead of 3 at a time to see if more tension helps push them up. Sweet shooter, no kick, and just a bang not a loud crack.
© 24hourcampfire