Home
Posted By: pacecars Suppressor - 11/27/14
Now that my state has decided to allow hunting deer with a suppressor I am in the market for one for my .300 Blackout. Do any of you hunt with a suppressed .300 Blackout? Mine is a 16 inch barrel so I don't want a real heavy can. I am considering a Silenco Harvester since it is light and cheap at around $500. It is not rated for sustained rapid fire but its main use will be hunting so I am OK with that.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Suppressor - 11/27/14
I find myself suddenly in the market for a suppressor myself. smile
Posted By: pacecars Re: Suppressor - 11/27/14
Now if they would bring back a bear season we would be good to go!
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Suppressor - 11/27/14
SilencerCo Saker. I've got a Specwar on the way but for a 300Blk I think the smaller Saker would be perfect. I've been told by more than a few to avoid AAC 51T cans if accuracy is a top priority.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Suppressor - 11/27/14
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/

http://lane-products.com/
Posted By: pacecars Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
Thanks. Thompson is just down the road. I have not seen the Lane but they look good.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
is it "any AAC suppressor that attaches" to their 51T muzzle brake? My dealer carries the SR-7 from AAC but don't know if they will degrade accuracy?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
Originally Posted by pacecars
Now if they would bring back a bear season we would be good to go!

true 'dat. I killed one in Baker County back in 1972. I fear we may never get a bear season again.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
Originally Posted by jimmyp
is it "any AAC suppressor that attaches" to their 51T muzzle brake? My dealer carries the SR-7 from AAC but don't know if they will degrade accuracy?

From what I can tell, some do, some don't. The teeth that hold the suppressor on have to be just right for their to be absolutely no movement when firing. Some lock up tight, others have a little play, seems to be luck of the draw. I wouldn't risk it with something that I am pretty much stuck with for the rest of my life.
Posted By: Boise Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
SilienceCo Havester is a great choice for hunters. Very light weight and less money than those full auto rated. They get great ratings in the publications and at my local stores. It is what I own.

Posted By: jimmyp Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
10-4, I think SIG is introducing a new line of them, Kevin is working there now. We will see what we will see.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Suppressor - 11/28/14
would one of you guys outline the process by which
one would be able to buy a suppressor legally? Real
time costs including creating a trust if that is the
best way?

Thanks
Posted By: pacecars Re: Suppressor - 11/29/14
I went the trust route. I paid the dealer for it and wrote a check to BATFE for $200 and the dealer put the serial nbr on the paperwork and sent it off. My first took about 3 months. Might be longer now
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Suppressor - 11/29/14
Buy or have lawyer draw up a trust that complies with your state laws.

Buy suppressor

Send in completed form 4, $200 check, and copy of trust.

Wait about 6 months.

Remove hearing protection and buy some multicam oven mits.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Suppressor - 11/29/14
Have been told by several dealers the trust route is going away. You can will it to someone and the transfer is at no cost though.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Suppressor - 11/30/14
Which dealers? I have not heard that.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Suppressor - 11/30/14
Since it was here that some questioned the lethality of 300/221 subsonic, I"ll give 4 results so far this year.

Rem 700 factory 7 twist 16 inch tube and I don't even recall my suppressor model.. Ti something 30 cal... up to 300 win mag.

Lil gun and 194 lehigh max expansions, sub sonic around 1000 fps basically. 7.9 Lil Gun, Rem 7.5, 2.180 oal, WW 223 cut down formed case. Around 1.5 inch groups at 100, supersonic under MOA.... ugh...

First buck, 150 pounds, 60ish yards, double lung running a doe... ran about 80 yards blood all over.
Doe, appx 80 pounds, broke front shoulder at about 80 yards on exit on purpose, made 100 yards, grass really tall, only found 2 spots of blood, but in fairness this is the year we are teaching a curr to hopefully blood trail so we were following his 8 month old nose and not taking time to look...
another buck was wounded by another member, got up and ran and I got a round into the belly from the back angle off to a side a bit, about 40 yards or less, no exit, dropped the buck and he was dead by the time I walked up to him. Probably 160 pound buck.
Last doe about 100 yards maybe a bit less, double lunged, good trail, maybe made 60 yards.

So far dog has been 100% and loads have been 100%.

of course I will be taking more cahnces on angles, bones, distances as time goes on.

Just an update on bullet performance.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Suppressor - 11/30/14
pictures?? I would be interested in seeing some of the entrance and exit wounds.
To big of a rush, entry was very small, 30 cal, and hard to find at times if you didn't see any blood leakage.

Exits were on the order of dime size to nickel size, excepting the broken shoulder, it was quarter size due to bone frags.

PS, I did recall I took a few pics of the first one with iphone... have sent to wife, and should be on photobucket at some point, when she has time. At that point I"ll post exit exterior, entry and exit interior as those are the only 3 I have.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Suppressor - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by eh76
Have been told by several dealers the trust route is going away. You can will it to someone and the transfer is at no cost though.

Obama is trying to close the trust "loophole" that will mandate a background check on all members of the trust before approval. In limbo...

Form 5 is a tax free transfer to your heirs, just needs to be filled out and submitted.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
Isn't there some kind of interview the buyer has to go through with law enforcement before you can be approved to buy a suppressor? I wouldn't mind having one but it sounds like a big hassle to get one.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
I don't think there is an interview, local LEO are supposed to do a sign off. I guess that might make some want to talk to you.

I don't get the local sign off. Its beyond stupid.

A friend went trust because his local would sign full auto but not suppressors because he doesn't like suppressors.... go figure.

Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Isn't there some kind of interview the buyer has to go through with law enforcement before you can be approved to buy a suppressor? I wouldn't mind having one but it sounds like a big hassle to get one.

Just put it in a trust. Any reputable dealer will walk you through it. Some charge to set it up, others don't.

Travis
OK, I don't know the first thing about suppressors or acquiring such so i'll ask the dumb question. When you say put it in a trust, what does that mean?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
A trust is a legal entity.

Instead of the supressor being owned by an individual, the supressor is owned by the trust. The difference being with a trust, everyone who is a part of the trust has legal access to the supressor. Hence you don't have to physically be present anytime the supressor is used by someone in the trust, and you don't have a pay a $200 transfer when say you pass on and you want one of your heirs to have the supressor as you could already have them as a trustee.
Still need a LE sign off on it correct?
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
No
OK, I'll to ask my buddy about this, he's got 3-4 suppressors and he never mentioned anything about a trust.
The trust is the only way to go.

Travis
Posted By: TWR Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
I didn't have any trouble going individual. Sheriff signed off without issue and they already have my fingerprints anyway. The idea of letting a buddy borrow it, doesn't appeal to me and my heirs can transfer it for $5 after I'm dead.

I own a corporation and could've went that way too but didn't see the need myself. Just get one!
Posted By: TC1 Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
I went indvidual too. No big deal.

What's the wait time for approval these days?
I bought one a couple months ago and it was 5-7.

I need to be able to put my family and friends on the trust otherwise I'd see no point in buying one.

Travis
Posted By: pacecars Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
That was my reason too. If my wife or kids want to use it they can do so without me being there. I guess I could just put all members of the 'fire on it and have a community suppressor!
Posted By: clark98ut Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
The only way I'd buy a can as an individual is if they passed 41P requiring everyone on the trust to be fingerprinted.

Otherwise, there is no downside to a trust, and the flexibility of having legal access for your family is worth the $200-300 you'll pay for a lawyer to draw one up.

Posted By: pacecars Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
The nice thing about Florida is that the "Trust" doesn't have to be filed anywhere and can be modified easily.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by TWR
I didn't have any trouble going individual. Sheriff signed off without issue and they already have my fingerprints anyway. The idea of letting a buddy borrow it, doesn't appeal to me and my heirs can transfer it for $5 after I'm dead.

I own a corporation and could've went that way too but didn't see the need myself. Just get one!

Ah, you don't "trust" any of your friends. LOL.

I went that trust route so the nephews and good friends and family can use them as needed.

Not like I'm giving em a LAW or such
Posted By: TWR Re: Suppressor - 12/01/14
my friends can buy their own... smile
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
Wait time is around 6 months now. The ATF hired I think 9 new people for no reason but approving NFA paperwork.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by supercrewd

Obama is trying to close the trust "loophole" that will mandate a background check on all members of the trust before approval. In limbo...

Form 5 is a tax free transfer to your heirs, just needs to be filled out and submitted.

Noted but don't bet zero won't get it done. As I said I have heard it from more than one source in the business.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by TWR

This
Posted By: rattler Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by TWR

This

friends yes, but my brother and daughter? ill go trust if i ever get back to working
Posted By: rost495 Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by TWR

Just ribbing ya. Ya know that. To each their own.
Posted By: Matt in Virginia Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
fwiw,
AAC 762 SDN 6 for the Blackout... That said I choose my shots very carefully. I'd tend to recommend a .308 Win...

Regards, Matt.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Suppressor - 12/02/14
300 whisper with 194 max expansion at 1000 fps... you don't have to be so careful, out to almost 100 with mine so far. Intend to have kills out to 150 or 200 by the end of season I hope...

The bullet makes a LOT of difference.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Suppressor - 12/03/14
Well between myself and friends we have three and with each other in trusts that's three for the price of one if you think about it.

Mike
© 24hourcampfire