Home
Posted By: Critternator Cold bore shot..... - 03/05/15
I've got a Bushmaster ORC and I've noticed that my cold shot is a half inch high and 1 inch left almost every time with my handloads. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a cause for this? I'm a bolt gun guy, I've had AR's but I'm just now trying to get more accuracy of mine. Thanks
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/05/15
Do you clean your barrel after every shooting session? A clean bore will sometimes require a few shots to settle in but a cold bore doesn't do anything to your groups. Usually the cold bore shot is a challenge for the shooter, the rifle is rarely the problem. Try dry firing a few times before you put one down range. Unless there is something loose somewhere, I'd bet it was a shooter issue.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/05/15
Being only a bushy factory tube, it may well be the barrel doing it.

Thats if as noted you have not cleaned as above.
Posted By: Critternator Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/05/15
It's not a clean barrel issue, it's that first round out of a mag every time. I've been reading that Bushmaster barrels can be somewhat hit or miss. It will hold around .75 MOA at 100 after you get that first shot out of the way, just wondering if there was a known mechanical issue that could be causing if.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/05/15
Not mechanical that I"m aware of. Unless possibly you are not letting the first round slam home.

If not try that method. Some folks slow load the first to be quiet. I do usually too... but it doesn't matter on my guns.

Bushy barrels have been accurate over the years. Some dang accurate. But as I recall they are not stress relieved adn that could be what it needs.

Probably not worth it though.

And depending on your use of the gun, I could easily just be aware and do a slight favor on the first shot since you know about it and its evidently repeatable. its not far enough off for typical shots at game or targets to worry unless you are shooting competition or tiny targets of game.
Posted By: Critternator Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/07/15
Thanks, I will probably end up just zeroing the cold shot since it's a hunting rifle. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a common problem with an easy fix before I did that.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/07/15
Did you answer how you load the first round?

RE zero'ing the first round, you must be after long range and small targets if an inch makes a difference.
Posted By: Critternator Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/11/15
I load the first round using the charging handle or just releasing the bolt, I don't load it easy. I've been known to shoot crows at decent distances but moreover it's just that I'm that anal about the first shot being exactly where it should be. I can't blame anything but myself if I miss that way. I know it isn't enough to matter but sometimes the OCD kicks in. Lol
Posted By: rost495 Re: Cold bore shot..... - 03/11/15
Crows do make small targets.

Good luck.

© 24hourcampfire