Home
How does the polygonal rifling last vs a cut or button rifled stainless barrel? I have heard it shoots out faster?
Sellers info so go from there.

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-medcon-barrel-22

"There are a number of advantages to polygonal rifled barrels; such as less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag as well as prolonged barrel life, not to mention ease of cleaning."
Depends on who you ask wink
I have 2 and so far they are holding up fine.

Really I don't think anyone will wear one out with today's ammo prices.
There cut polygonal, buttoned polygonal and forged polygonal. Which one are you referring to?
cut with less edges to wear, I'd bet it last as long as any other cut rifled barrel.

As to wearing em out, those that compete still will be, but others I doubt will wear barrels out.
i think it depends on the "poly" design. Every barrel can be called a polygon but the true polygon are like HK or Glock. Many make a 5R or 6R like Noveske and call them polygon. There are 2 types of true rounded poly lands, a male and a female. Some designs are known to fill the low areas with carbon to the point the bullets spin over the lands for the lack of a better term. Those that do not clean their rifles often will not get good performance from a poly.
Aren't they hard on lead or not supposed to shoot lead bullets ??
Didn't realize anyone shot lead bullets in ARs. Had not heard that though about lead and poly rifling...

Always wanted to try it. 5R and standard works so good though, why break it if its working....
If they act anything like Glock barrels, apparently the lead will build up and cause higher pressures. Never seen it myself as I don't shoot lead unless it's a muzzle loader, but I read it on the Internet so..........yeah.
Originally Posted by TheMountain

Doesn't seem to have ever been an issue.

Originally Posted by sherp

Quite a difference in pressures involved...
I know Glocks don't like lead bullets, guess don't know about rifles
What type of platform you talking about OP ?
one would think since its an AR FORUM, he would be talking AR, not Glock.
Says tactical rifle too... OP never said

how does a tactical rifle compare to a Glock handgun barrel? Speeds being a bit different mostly.

Yes it does have tactical added too, but for so many moons it was AR only... we are used to that and my fault I guess.

But one certainly would not think to discuss a Glock here
I am just one of three people who posted that mentioned a Glock. When you google polygonal rifling, many of the links come up and mention them. I think they are one of the few in modern times that do this mainly because of the better gas seal they provide.

Not meaning to step on toes .... But the pistol market is so one of the only modern users of an antiquated process
I know Glocks don't like lead bullets

How do you "know" that?
Originally Posted by Yondering
I know Glocks don't like lead bullets

How do you "know" that?

Would you rather blow your gun up trying to find out for yourself or listen to those who have?
Simple... Besides owning two Glocks and knowing myself...

Go read at Glocks website on using lead in their barrels
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by sherp

Quite a difference in pressures involved...

I think you need to weigh in on the Glock barrel mention for the same reason.
Originally Posted by rost495
Didn't realize anyone shot lead bullets in ARs. Had not heard that though about lead and poly rifling...

Always wanted to try it. 5R and standard works so good though, why break it if its working....

There are a few who persue such endeavors. Some for the challenge and for frugality. I haven't taken the 22 cast plunge yet, but might one of these days.
Whats the downfall of an open gas port in the barrel vs lead bullets? No issues?

I think cast .224 bullets are cool looking. But I doin't think I'd want to cast thousands of them. But maybe a gang mold would be ok.
Simple... Besides owning two Glocks and knowing myself...

Go read at Glocks website on using lead in their barrels

Did you also read where they said not to shoot reloads?

Still didn't answer how you "know" that.
© 24hourcampfire