Home
Posted By: Campboss AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
Just got my first AR, DDM4A1. I am looking to drop in a different trigger. I would prefer something in that 3-4 lb range and clean breaking. I will mostly be using the gun for range shooting and possibly the occasional predator hunt. What would be some recommendations, does anybody have an extra they would like to sell?
Posted By: Esox357 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
Geiselle SSA-E pricey but worth it.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
I like a Timney 3lb, single stage.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
Buy a Timney and don't look back...easy in... save your old trigger parts just incase emergency....
Posted By: Campboss Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
Skeletonized or not??
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
I have 3 of the SSA-E triggers, had a timney in one gun, had an AR-gold for a month. I like the two stage SSA-E trigger.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
Jimmy

How was the gold afger alll tweaked and adjusted?
Posted By: husqvarna Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
RR two stage match, military rugged, reasonably priced, and easy to install.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
I just ordered it and put it in, the travel on the thing was not so far for firing and I just did not like the feel of it. Trigger's are a personal thing, I either like them or don't like them, I did not like the timney I had all that much either, could be I am just a two stage trigger nut. TAK was always busting on me as he had one and said it was great. He also bought a SCAR17 if you get my drift... whistle
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by husqvarna
RR two stage match, military rugged, reasonably priced, and easy to install.

^^^This^^^

I've installed the RR on several of my AR and have been very pleased
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Love my Geissele triggers. The SSA-E is my go-to choice for a non adjustable trigger.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Buy a Timney and don't look back.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Geissele triggers are great, but my personal preference remains the Timney AR trigger. If you're a lifelong bolt-gun shooter, like me, you'll feel right at home with the Timney.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
lol, it has nothing to do with bolt guns.

Just what you get used to.

Don't know any bolt gunners that are competitive shooters that don't run Jewel 2 stage triggers in their bolt guns.

May have to try a timney though for my buddy that hates 2 stage. I just have not ever felt a crisp timney in an AR but maybe if I tinker with adjusting enough....
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Some of us even run the Jewell 2 stage in our AR's. wink
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Never was a fan of teh jewel in the AR. The early pre production ones were right. I wisehd they would have let us keep our test models...

the ones I had after that, just were nothing special at all. RRA tuned up over that or a Milazzo(yeah right but we have a few) and now a Geisselle.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by rost495

Beg to differ for those new to ARs. My point is simply this: For some who may have spent a lifetime shooting fine triggers on bolt guns, and are making their initial foray into ARs, they're more than likely going to want a trigger that feels quite similar. I may be wrong, but I don't recall the OP saying anything about running a competition gun.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
Never been a Jewell fan for any rifle. From what I hear they don't handle dirt well either. Not as many use them for competition when you are off the bench. Lots of people going with Timney and Huber.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/12/15
triggers are a personal thing, you either like them or you don't. I can dig my Kimber montana's triggers, but think my Colt 6720 trigger sucks, but I leave it alone as its in a home defense gun with a red dot. I have 3 of the SSA-E triggers, they are good enough for me in an accuracy gun.
Posted By: Campboss Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15
Thanks for all the great advice! Kinda sounds like guys really like the Timney or Geissele SSA-E. I don't live in an area where I can run down to the local gun shop and try the different triggers and I would rather not have to spend the money on both. I know this is hard to answer since it really comes down to personal preference but is there some way to make a good guess whether to go single or two stage? I might be SOL and end up buying both but thought I would ask.

Thanks again for the good pointers.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

Beg to differ for those new to ARs. My point is simply this: For some who may have spent a lifetime shooting fine triggers on bolt guns, and are making their initial foray into ARs, they're more than likely going to want a trigger that feels quite similar. I may be wrong, but I don't recall the OP saying anything about running a competition gun.

ok, I forget sometimes I"m the exception. I have always been able to go back and forth with any trigger. Single stage and creepy up to about 7-8 pounds if need be. Single stage in ounces. 2 stage up to 7.5 pounds once wiht a mishap and no time to retune... 2 stage in ounces.

About everything in between.

Trigger use or the ability not to, is simply in the head. If I can conquer this anyone should be able to. My wife never knew guns to speak of before we met, other than red ryder.... she got used to every trigger we've ever gone through and did very well in competition becoming distinguished etc.... She conquered it well too.

Not all bolts have single stage triggers. And if you find a fine light single stage crisp clean trigger for an AR, PLEASE let me know. Its probably out of my buddies price range, but I"m always open to knowledge.

For wareagle, I have not heard of any issues with jewel 2 stage in NRA highpower bolt guns. Maybe they are not used in the tactical type matches that you see around here and there, but for mainstay highpower, Jewel has been really reliable over the years.

YMMV.

If you can't deal with something then I am in the wrong, just don't use it.

Posted By: wareagle700 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15

For wareagle, I have not heard of any issues with jewel 2 stage in NRA highpower bolt guns. Maybe they are not used in the tactical type matches that you see around here and there, but for mainstay highpower, Jewel has been really reliable over the years.

I know benchrest guys and belly benchrest guys love them. I would assume they would make a great highpower trigger also. I prefer the wider shoe of the timney and have very little interest in a trigger pull under 2lbs. I have been told by more than a few than a few experienced run and gun shoters / snipers to either avoid jewell triggers or carry a bottle of zippo lighter fluid with you for a hard use rifle. Although, with the Sako TRG I don't have to worry about which trigger to use anymore. wink
Posted By: tedthorn Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15
For $95 the RR 2 stage is a great trigger

I have one with JP springs and have had no issues with it
Posted By: TWR Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15
AR triggers are the most argued upgrade one can make. We have this same question pop up at least once a month here and we'll never all agree on a single brand or even single stage vs 2 stage.

I shoot 2 stage triggers in my AR's, single stage in my bolt guns, a 1911 trigger, a Glock trigger, a S&W Shield trigger, DAO revolver triggers and even a Sig DA/SA trigger. I've never had a problem going back and forth and most of you guys haven't either.

So why do I choose 2 stage? It keeps the original safety design in place yet allows the lightest, crispest trigger pull while remaining safe. I've not been impressed with any aluminum cased box trigger. RR's are ok once the brad is removed, springs are changed and edges are polished but for my money I'll take the Geissele G2S for $30 more and just shoot it. Jewell's suck.

But everyone has their favorites.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by wareagle700

I know benchrest guys and belly benchrest guys love them. I would assume they would make a great highpower trigger also. I prefer the wider shoe of the timney and have very little interest in a trigger pull under 2lbs. I have been told by more than a few than a few experienced run and gun shoters / snipers to either avoid jewell triggers or carry a bottle of zippo lighter fluid with you for a hard use rifle. Although, with the Sako TRG I don't have to worry about which trigger to use anymore. wink

Never shot a sniper or run/gun match. So I have no knowledge tehre, most of my life I was limited to service rifle 4.5 pound minimum trigger. So you went 2 stage so at least the 2nd stage is a pound or two... Jewels there in the AR were not worth the money to me.

Timney will get my test as I think they are the only ones with a 788 trigger still... IIRC just have not gotten that far to order one or an AR trigger from them either as I've spend hundreds on single stage triggers, for the AR and never felt a good one.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/13/15
I was not blown away with the Timney AR trigger. I much prefer the Geissele.
Posted By: Lar68 Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/15/15
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Love my Geissele triggers. The SSA-E is my go-to choice for a non adjustable trigger.

I agree. Have a single stage on one, can't remember the brand, but it is way too light. The SSA-E is perfect for me.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: AR Trigger Advise - 04/20/15
Anybody have experience with elftmann triggers? I just bought one on a whim to try out.
© 24hourcampfire