Home
Posted By: Gary O 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Would not the 9mm Luger or 40SW be better choices for home defense? Now that we all have spent a fortune on 5.56 guns? What say you? Thanks...
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Maybe if you were going to SBR and suppress.

Travis
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
300 AAC BLK in the AR for HD
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Mine is a .300 Blackout as well.

Though a .45 ACP could be interesting, too, it's not easy to make in run in an AR.
Posted By: Gary O Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
isn't that more power than is needed?
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by Gary O
isn't that more power than is needed?

No.

Travis
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Would not the 9mm Luger or 40SW be better choices for home defense? Now that we all have spent a fortune on 5.56 guns? What say you? Thanks...

Take everything that you think you know, and just about everything that you have heard in regards to terminal ballistics, "power" and "over penetration" and throw it in the trash.

The short answer is this-

5.56 damages more tissue and penetrates less through residential walls than either 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, or any other duty round.

Even though it should not be the focus- If you miss inside of a building there is less risk to occupants on the other side when utilizing 5.56 vs. and standard pistol round. Combine that with the fact that 5.56 also damages more tissue than pistol rounds and there is no logical reason to choose a pistol caliber carbine for personal protection.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
I think the 9mm would be lots of fun with a bump fire stock and a 50 round clip....
Posted By: Gary O Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Take everything that you think you know, and just about everything that you have heard in regards to terminal ballistics, "power" and "over penetration" and throw it in the trash.

The short answer is this-

5.56 damages more tissue and penetrates less through residential walls than either 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, or any other duty round.

Even though it should not be the focus- If you miss inside of a building there is less risk to occupants on the other side when utilizing 5.56 vs. and standard pistol round. Combine that with the fact that 5.56 also damages more tissue than pistol rounds and there is no logical reason to choose a pistol caliber carbine for personal protection.

Posted By: rost495 Re: 9mm instead? - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
I think the 9mm would be lots of fun with a bump fire stock and a 50 round clip....

Like full auto, after about 1-2 mags, its boring. Just making noise and not hitting much.

At least to me. But thats the joy of life. My nephew could burn ammo all day as fast as you could supply and not hit a thing and still have a grin at the end of the day.

My choice btw... leave it 223
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
so the 5.56 is kind of concussive inside the house, the supersonic BO is no wear near as loud, I would build a 16 inch BO and shoot them 110 grain Barnes bullets out of it. I am sure that they Way Overpenetrate however and someone will be along to tell me so.
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
I'm contemplating doing a SBR on a Beretta Storm and adding a can.

I could see that being pretty sweet inside a building.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
If I ever shoot inside a building.

Travis
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

I had a Colt 9mm AR and could not get it to work with a Slide Fire stock. I've seen videos of 9mm (and .22 LR) AR's spitting out mass quantities of ammo with a bump fire stock, but neither has worked for me. Maybe if you install a 3-lb trigger.

My 5.56 works fine with a Slide Fire stock and the factory trigger.
Posted By: avonac Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
Unless your suppressing it or just have a bunch of 9mm, there is no reason to not go 5.56.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
I just don't know how to use anything but an AR15 and a Glock all other skills have been lost. I am thinking about getting rid of my Benelli M1 12 guage shotguns as I cannot figure out how to shoot them anymore.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
I have been saving 9mm brass for years awaiting the day I get a 9mm rifle in any configuration. When I do obtain such a firearm, I will crank up the 550 and load it all.

It's been a dream of mine for years.

I'll still use the 5.56 AR in the house.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
Buy a KelTec Sub 2000 in 9mm that uses Glock 17 mags. And a Glock 33 round mag to boot.
They actually work unlike the Colt 9mm, and are half the price.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 9mm instead? - 08/04/15
For some reason I've wanted the sub 2000. Have NO clue why.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
Despite all the fuss, I'm fine with a 9mm CX4 in the house.

And outside.

Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
All the cool kids are buying storms.

Travis
Posted By: TWR Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
I shoot a lot of 9mm and 45 but in pistols where they belong. I had a Colt 9mm AR and it was a fun toy but not much more.

Now SBR it with a can and it could be a tool but still not as good as the 5.56
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
how about a Scorpion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=224&v=8XAYsYwZGxI

Posted By: Yondering Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
Originally Posted by rost495

I wanted one too, until I had one.

The folding carbine idea is neat, but that's about as far as it went.

It was more of a toy than any kind of serious gun. Plastic sights that were too low for the eye, sewer pipe for a barrel, and the whole thing flexed like a noodle when it fired. I sold it when I realized I could shoot more accurately with my G20.

The CX4 Storm is plastic too, but far more sturdy and rigid, and in a whole different league than the Sub2k. They aren't perfect, especially the plastic trigger parts and Beretta's (lack of) customer service, but they are decent.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by rost495

I wanted one too, until I had one.

The folding carbine idea is neat, but that's about as far as it went.

It was more of a toy than any kind of serious gun. Plastic sights that were too low for the eye, sewer pipe for a barrel, and the whole thing flexed like a noodle when it fired. I sold it when I realized I could shoot more accurately with my G20.

The CX4 Storm is plastic too, but far more sturdy and rigid, and in a whole different league than the Sub2k. They aren't perfect, especially the plastic trigger parts and Beretta's (lack of) customer service, but they are decent.

Thanks for the report. I missed the boat with the Ruger PC series, but still like the idea of a small pistol cartridge carbine.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
I am saving my pennies up for when this is actually available:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-Sauer174-MPX-Semiautomatic-Tactical-Rifle-with-Side-Folding-Stock/2042623.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmpx%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=mpx
Originally Posted by 222Rem

Thanks for the report. I missed the boat with the Ruger PC series, but still like the idea of a small pistol cartridge carbine.

Storms are UBER.

Dave
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
Originally Posted by deflave

Storms are UBER gay

Fixed it for ya!
Haters gonna hate..

Storms are a fuggin' blast.

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Fixed it for ya!

It may make an appearance in the AR Challenge thread.

Travis
Haters gonna hate..

Storms are a fuggin' blast.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
I was real interested in pistol caliber carbines for a while, as a HD weapon. Looked at the Storm, but at the time mag selection was limited. I tried the Kel-tec Sub2000, and found like Yondering it had too many bugs in the design. Wound up with a .300 Blackout AR, which is sort of like a .30 M1 carbine on 'roids, and works well.

Dad had a Tommy Gun in WWII, and liked it, but they have some well known issues.

This guy is making a AR lower, that accepts Grease gun mags in .45 ACP:

http://cncguns.com/projects/AR45lower.html

Combined with a Oly Arms .45 cal upper, and the rest of the parts, you could have a pretty neat .45 ACP carbine, that accepts cheap high cap mags, and has modern ergos. The price isn't cheap, but... smile

Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15
I like the notion of a Tavor in 9x19 with the really neat looking suppressor that doubles as a forend and adds only a little to the overall length. Jerry Miculek does fine with it at longer ranges but I'd specify for home defense from the inside only for me.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 9mm instead? - 08/05/15

Storms are UBER.

Dave

Duly noted. It looks more than a little Stormtrooper-ish (coincidence?) and I never really embraced the Star Wars thing. But if it's a quality blaster I guess I'd better consider it.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 9mm instead? - 08/06/15

Kid approved!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/06/15

Duly noted. It looks more than a little Stormtrooper-ish (coincidence?) and I never really embraced the Star Wars thing. But if it's a quality blaster I guess I'd better consider it.

If shrapnel can like a gun that ugly, you know it works.

Travis
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 9mm instead? - 08/06/15

If shrapnel can like a gun that ugly, you know it works.

Travis

Touche'!
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Kid approved!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the to-scale photo. My wife is petite, and my 4yr old son is quickly catching up.

Along with the styling, I was giving it demerits for wasting some sight radius, but an RDS would make that a wicked little machine.

Mine put three inside a can of dip @ 100yds yesterday. With the irons.

Travis
Damn, OK I'm now interested.

Shrapnel even liked the Eotech..

Red dots are hard not to love. But I typically hate them.

About an hour ago. After some slight adjustments, I think she's ready for rabbits.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 9mm instead? - 08/06/15
I cannot hate a storm, 50 practice rounds for $15.00 and all that. I guess if it's 16 inch carbine barrel for both then you have too choose 5.56 or 9mm I kind of want to carry the bigger blaster. Love to have the storm as a fun gun however.

Red dots are hard not to love. But I typically hate them.

About an hour ago. After some slight adjustments, I think she's ready for rabbits.

[Linked Image]

Nice.

My 9mm is better.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I cannot hate a storm, 50 practice rounds for $15.00 and all that. I guess if it's 16 inch carbine barrel for both then you have too choose 5.56 or 9mm I kind of want to carry the bigger blaster. Love to have the storm as a fun gun however.

They are not comparable to an AR IMO.

Travis

My 9mm is better.

Mmmmmm....no.

Looking forward to rabbit slaying though.

Travis
How bad is the trigger pull on your Storm for weight, creep and overall quality?

This thread has started my interest, and I found a pretty long write-up that mentioned a poor trigger, and replacement parts that helped. Necessary or no?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 9mm instead? - 08/07/15
There's a hillbilly trigger job that lightens them right up.

Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/07/15
How bad is the trigger pull on your Storm for weight, creep and overall quality?

This thread has started my interest, and I found a pretty long write-up that mentioned a poor trigger, and replacement parts that helped. Necessary or no?

Perfectly serviceable IMO.

Travis
Posted By: boatboy Re: 9mm instead? - 08/07/15
Very interesting discussion
I have a pair of Colts wondered why LE didn't use them more in urban settings
Waiting for a can for them I think it will be Fonzie kool
Hank
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/07/15
It will be.

I've shot the 9mm Colts and they were flawless. Not sure why they have a bad rap.

Any .40 in a carbine that works is pretty UBER.

Travis
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 9mm instead? - 08/08/15
It will be.

I've shot the 9mm Colts and they were flawless. Not sure why they have a bad rap.

Travis

I love my PC-4 and think it's the schizzles for HD. The thing just works.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
It will be.

Travis

I love my PC-4 and think it's the schizzles for HD. The thing just works.

Yeah, I didn't see the light while the gettin' was easy. But the Storm is on my short list now.
Posted By: deflave Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
I missed the boat on the PC-4 as well. My buddy had a couple so I was able to shoot them and they were great little carbines. The ghost ring version is full UBER.

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15

There are just 2 things you have to know about a 9mm:

They work

The guy that gets shot with one won't say "I read that these things aren't lethal so you didn't hurt me"...
I'm a big fan of the 38-40 so I prefer the modern equivalent.

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15

Did someone mention Beretta Storms? One of every reason...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by boatboy
Hank

Reduced lethality and increased issues with over penetration in an urban area with pistol caliber rounds in comparison to 5.56.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Did someone mention Beretta Storms? One of every reason...

[Linked Image]

I do think I'd prefer a flattop with rail, minus the silly molded sight ears, however.

Still thinking about a .45 ACP, AR
Posted By: willecoyote Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
I've not had my hands on a Storm yet but I picked up a JR Carbine some time back in 9mm and love it. They are ambidextrous, use glock mags and AR trigger components. For $300 I can get a 40 or 45 conversion kit for it. I got the 9mm mainly because it is cheaper to shoot but I think the 45 conversion would be a neat little thumper too.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I do think I'd prefer a flattop with rail, minus the silly molded sight ears, however.

Still thinking about a .45 ACP, AR

The sights cause issues with mounting for sure.

But I can't think of a better route to go if you want a suppressed carbine with subsonics.

Travis
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by boatboy
Hank

Reduced lethality and increased issues with over penetration in an urban area with pistol caliber rounds in comparison to 5.56.

#1: If I shoot something with my 9mm CX4, it's going to die.

#2: If I'm shooting outside, I'd rather be sending 9mm's off toward's neighbors houses, than 5.56.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
Or don't shoot towards neighbors houses.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
Can't guarantee that.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 9mm instead? - 08/09/15
I don't know how far away your neighbors live, but I'd rather roll the dice on frangible 5.56 than any version of a 9mm. An unobstructed miss in the air will fly a loooong ways with either caliber, but when factoring in ricochets and barrier penetration or shoot-throughs, the 5.56 has a better chance of breaking up prior to finding an unintended secondary target.

Posted By: rost495 Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
my closest is about 500 yards out. I don't like it one bit I have a neighbor that close, but it is what it is.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
It doesn't matter what you shoot outside your house, you will lose everything you own if you shoot any perp that isn't in your house...
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
Who said anything about shooting people outside?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
It doesn't matter what you shoot outside your house, you will lose everything you own if you shoot any perp that isn't in your house...

Why is that?
Posted By: Orville Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
If you are outside and someone starts to shoot at you are you just suppose to take the shots? What if you had your Ar rifle? I suppose you are right. Shooting back will just make things escalate.

Not in Texas anyway...
Originally Posted by Orville
If you are outside and someone starts to shoot at you are you just suppose to take the shots? What if you had your Ar rifle? I suppose you are right. Shooting back will just make things escalate.

Escalate? They shoot at me, I shoot them, done. Who is left to escalate.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Why is that?

You kill him, family sues you and wins; You wound him, he sues you and wins; You miss him, neighbors sue you and win.

You can't be that naive to know that. Internet tough guys rarely even get in a fist fight, let alone a shoutout...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
not unless Montana is more liberal than Texas smirk

If someone is outside your house posing a danger to you or another innocent person, you can most assuredly use deadly force. The test is did you behave in a reasonable manner, given the threat at hand.

some guy is dancing naked on your lawn with no weapons, no you probably can't shoot him. he's waving an axe, yelling that he's gonna chop down your door and kill you, you probably can.

You can certainly get sued for almost anything, but their odds of success go down, if they are an obvious threat.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15
me I would just call 911 and go cower in the basement....

Why is that?

You kill him, family sues you and wins; You wound him, he sues you and wins; You miss him, neighbors sue you and win.

You can't be that naive to know that. Internet tough guys rarely even get in a fist fight, let alone a shoutout...

Same exact results if you shoot him inside your house here in TX. We don't have to worry about in or out or dragging em back in, its all going to end up the same.

Tresspass with intent here, you are in the wrong, and we are ok, and for sure at night we are ok, in house or not, criminally at least. No one is protected in any case ever, civilly unfortunately.

STill can't see how OJ was found guilty civilly, after not being so criminally....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 9mm instead? - 08/10/15

Why is that?

So I'm grilling in the front yard, guy pulls in driveway and starts throwing shots at me, I can't shoot back at him because he's not in the house?

Yea, that makes a WHOLE bunch of sense. I don't have neighbors to worry about either.

Yep, provincialism at its finest

Why is that?

So I'm grilling in the front yard, guy pulls in driveway and starts throwing shots at me, I can't shoot back at him because he's not in the house?

Yea, that makes a WHOLE bunch of sense. I don't have neighbors to worry about either.

Yep, provincialism at its finest

My dad would shoot him, then flip the burgers...
© 24hourcampfire