Home
Posted By: 444Matt Which optics ready AR - 10/16/15
Once I get past Christmas I'd like to pick up an AR. I've got tons of time behind various versions of the M16 but haven't personally owned an AR. I'm looking for a pretty bare bones setup, no irons. Plan to swap between a low power variable and a reflex sight of some sort. 5.556/223 $600-700 price range is where I'd like to be at. Planned use is fun shooting, might stunt shoot a deer or two and to go ahead and buy a decent one while they are still somewhat cheap.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/16/15
Find a deal on a Colt or Stag.

Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/16/15
Looking at a few sites I may need to up my price range...
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/16/15
Keep your eyes open, unfortunately with the current push for gun control by the dems prices may be spiking soon if not already? I personally wouldn't wait til Christmas but would be looking now. You can buy a lower now and purchase the upper later.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/17/15
I picked up a DPMS two weeks ago for $550.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/17/15
Yeah Scott I had been looking at DPMS
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_1989/products_id/70770/DPMS+RFA3-OC+Oracle+30%2B1+223REM5.56NATO+16%22

for $500 it seems like a steal, how do you like yours?

Anyone have experience with the Oracle from DPMS?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/18/15
Stag or RR
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/18/15
I would start and stop at PSA.
Posted By: deflave Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/18/15
Colt LE6920 OEM 2.

Travis
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/18/15
Question for Travis and others: Say I got this colt:

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/colt/clt-carbine-a3-m4-16.1-223-30r/

I remove the BUIS and mount say a 1.5-5 VX3 or reflex sight like a burris FFIII isn't that front post going to be in the line of sight?

Can anyone share some pics of similarly set up rifle so I can get an idea of how it looks/works.

thanks guys.
As cheap as they are right now, it would be hard not to buy a Colt. But if you wanna go cheap, you can pick up a S&W, DPMS, or Windam Arms for just over $500 bucks.
Don't know how long it will last, but it's dang sure a buyers market right now!
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Question for Travis and others: Say I got this colt:

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/colt/clt-carbine-a3-m4-16.1-223-30r/

I remove the BUIS and mount say a 1.5-5 VX3 or reflex sight like a burris FFIII isn't that front post going to be in the line of sight?

Can anyone share some pics of similarly set up rifle so I can get an idea of how it looks/works.

thanks guys.

It disappears as you crank the power up. Reappears as you crank the power down.

If you use a red dot or holographic type sight you'll see it, but you pay no mind to it as you shoot.

For me it is a non-issue. I have used both the OR and fixed front types and prefer the fixed front.

Travis
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/18/15
Ok thanks, I have that before using a scout scope on a levergun with a front post, just wasn't sure how bad the front post on the AR stood out.
If you're buying right now, buy a Colt.

PM Shortactionsmoker. You never know what kinda deals that fugker has going. I think that gun shop he runs sees a lot of product.

Travis
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/18/15
I have mine setup to co-witness, which I like.
+1 Colt LE6920 OEM 2...add rail and but stock of choice.....

Originally Posted by deflave
Colt LE6920 OEM 2.

Travis
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/19/15
"Optics-ready" is just a fancy term for a cheap gun with no sights included. I'm with the others, co-witness it.

If you're trying to stay around $600...Colt if you can find one for that. Smith and Wesson, if not.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/19/15
Think I'm going to follow the guys advice and look for a Colt like the one I linked, not buying for a while anyway got too many other irons in the fire. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: temmi Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/22/15
Build it

A cat could build one.

My son's came out great
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/23/15
Any feedback on the Palmetto State Armory rifles? My LGS has a bunch of them and I liked the fit and features.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/23/15
Colt is fine if you are into resale later.

If not I"ve not run into anything wrong with Palmetto...

Obviously if you are after a long range PD gun or a match winner or such... thats not the way to go.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/23/15
Nope just fun at the range an a occasional hog or deer.
Posted By: SlimShady Re: Which optics ready AR - 10/23/15
Little above price range, but just picked up a new 8 twist Rock River 16" Predator Pursuit for a grand last week. Really nice balanced midgrade AR with matchgrade ss barrel and 3/4 moa guarantee. Trying to decide on optics and possible stock swap. Cant go wrong with a Colt either.

Read up on ar15.com...lots of good info on there that may help with your decision. Dont wait too long, believe prices will start to creep up.
© 24hourcampfire