Home
Posted By: 79inpa building a grendel - 11/14/15
I'm building a Grendel sometime in the near future. I have complete lower so I just need the parts to build an upper. Since this is my first ar I am going to need a complete list of what I need. The barrel is going to be a 16 or 18 inch piece.

Is there a halfway decent kit that includes everything that I need except the barrel and bolt for pretty cheap. Blemished parts are ok.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: building a grendel - 11/14/15
i see stripped uppers on the palmetto state armory website for around 40. their version of a parts kit for the upper is 22 bucks. Are these good enough?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: building a grendel - 11/14/15
A friend built a pretty nice AR off a PSA blem upper. I think you can find them on the website. I don't know. I haven't been over there in a while.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: building a grendel - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by 79inpa
i see stripped uppers on the palmetto state armory website for around 40. their version of a parts kit for the upper is 22 bucks. Are these good enough?

Yes, those uppers are fine. Then you will need a BCG, Make sure the bolt has the right extractor, a regular 223 one won't work because the 6.5 base is thicker. Most barrel mfg will have a stripped bolt option, but you will need ejector, extractor, rings, and pins, so try and find a complete bolt if you can. Other than the bolt, barrel, and mag spring/follower, it's the same parts as a .223 . Don't forget a barrel wrench, and flash hider. Lots of the barrels have a funky thread size for the flash hiders. I ended up getting my extractor and flash hider from Alexander, which took about 6 weeks.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: building a grendel - 11/16/15
I used an 18" black hole weaponry barrel on mine. I started with a rifle length but it seemed under gassed so I went to a mid length. I took a 5.56 bolt carrier group and just replaced the bolt with a 7.62x39 bolt I bought from surplus ammo for $59. It's working well.

Bb
Posted By: XPNut Re: building a grendel - 11/19/15
+ 1 go to surplus ammo get the BHW barrel/bolt combo comes with a free stripped upper.
© 24hourcampfire