Home
Posted By: Dave_in_WV M1 carbine magazines - 11/15/15
I inherited an Inland M1 carbine and it came with a 30 round mag. Are there magazines that won't work like with some firearms? I've seen Korean and Mag Pro mags for under $20.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/15/15
When I did a lot of reading on the carbine, I came away with the impression that the 30 round magazines were not as dependable as the 15 round mags for which the rifle was designed. I believe they came out with the 30 round for the late model carbines that could go full auto, but were more prone to problems.

Hope that helps some.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/15/15
Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/15/15
I don't bother with 30 round magazines. I have a lot of the 15 round USGI ones, and they work perfect.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/15/15
Thanks. I ordered 2 15 round mags from Numrich. I have 1 30 round mag.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/16/15
Congrats on the Inland. I have one, too. Never had a problem with either the 30's or the 15's. I've got both. But, for most purposes the 15's work just fine I feel like the rifle balances a lot better. The 30's are cool to have (I've got a coupler, too), but 15's are more practical.
Posted By: g5m Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/16/15
My experience is with US GI. They work. Can't speak to the others.
The 30's always have worked for me, on semi anyway.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/16/15
All of mine are USGI and I agree.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/16/15
I have USGI and Korean mags, all seem dependable. I've heard stay away from Pro Mag, but I can't say that it's a viable warning, I haven't tried any.

On the 30 round mags, if maximum reliability is wanted, then simply install the M2 magazine catch, which was designed to address the issue Barkoff mentioned. It has a 3rd contact point that stabilizes the magazine. This is actually most important on the M2 Carbine in full auto, I've never had an issue with 30-rounders in a regular M1 Carbine and original catches.

With all that out of the way, the rifle was initially designed with a 15-round unit, and it's the one I prefer. Like 20 round mags in an AR, it's just easier to carry/handle the rifle and if shooting off rests, much easier to do with a 15 rounder.

I really enjoy shooting the carbine. I have an Underwood made in '43.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/17/15
Don't buy Pro-Mag anything. They suck rabbit hind.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/17/15
That's what I've heard, and so far I haven't went out of my way to see if the warnings were unfounded.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/20/15
You need to install a m2mag catch as mentioned. 30rd mags have a couple of dimples on the rear which is supported by a L on this catch. Earlier models on the mag catch don't have that l.
I would not buy aftermarket 30 rounds mags poor reliability.
The military ones are getting or have got pricey but they are around.

Do a google search for military m1 carbine 30round mags and you can find the original manufacturers.
Quite a few companies made the 15rounders and some of them are quite collectible.
and yes, i have seen 30 rounders fall out of the bottom of some carbines.
They are a neat little toy especially with the m2 registered go fast switch.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/21/15
I bought two new military 15 round mags from Numrich. They still had the wax paper stuck to them. I cleaned them up yesterday. Thanks for the input and replies.

Dave
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/21/15
Watch out, those little rifles are as addictive as an AR.

Here's to hoping you really enjoy it!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: M1 carbine magazines - 11/25/15
Thanks. I picked up a pound of Win 296 today. I had some H110 and a little 296 already.
© 24hourcampfire