Home
Taking good advice from the Forum I got some Black Hills match ammo, along with some cheap stuff, to test in my Armalite with a 20" 1:8 .223 Wylde.

Of course it was the expensive stuff that shot the best.

.85" center to center (including the flier) at 100 yards off a sock stuffed with pinto beans:

[Linked Image]

Details on the gun and ammo to follow.

69 Match King HP
I remember when their 52 BTHP was like 11.99 a box . FMJ was 9.99.
well, you expect junk to shoot better than match?

FWIW if that load shoots...and if you reload...

LC case, or similar capacity, 69 smk, 25.0 of Varget and a CCI BR4 will shoot probably as well or better....
$55 for 50 rds of 223? What a rip-off!

I've been shooting for 35 years, but I have only recently begun to think about things like twist, bullet weight, quality bullets, consistent manufacturing and solid supports when shooting for accuracy.

This Forum is a great resource.
Not sure what HSM runs these days but their 69s shot about the same as black hills too... FWIW.
Not sure they make 223, but 5.56, Israeli Military Industries makes one military load that duplicates the Black Hills mk262 mod1, they call it IMI 77 OTM LR MOD 1, they also make a precision match load, they call it IMI 69gr Sierra HPBT-Match. Both are 5.56, but they can be had for around $350 for a case of 500. Cheaper than Black Hills, but just as accurate.
Thats good to know and IMI /TZZ was always good brass to reload.
© 24hourcampfire