Home
Posted By: passport Glass...................... - 02/10/16
What power do you guys like for an all-arounder? Using a 1-4 now but want more power, thoughts?

Gun is a BCM M4 style 16 inch
I like the 1-4 and 1-6 scopes for all around use but I found that I rarely picked up that rifle. I either grab one with an Aimpoint or one with a 2.5-10 NF. The low powered variable fills the gap in between, I just haven't found what that is yet.

I would go with a 2.5-10 or 3-15 or something along those lines. If you feel like you might get up close and personal with a target, a set of offset irons would work well.
Im thinking your right wareagle
How far for engagement? 0-?
I think 2-7 with a 33mm works great on most of my ARs

Hank
I am in the same boat researching optics.

I currently have a 3-15 SWFA on my 16" Northtech Precision but it belongs on my AR10. I am leaning somewhere around 2.5-10ish as this is planned as a coyote calling/GP rifle.

I already have an Aimpoint on mommas 16" factory Troy rifles as well my 14.5" Northtechrifle and a 6.5-20 on my 20" side charger heavy gun so 2.5-10 should be ideal on this one.
A 1-6 with a good reticle would be perfect for me. But the good ones are heavy, and expensive.

A VX6 with the Vortex reticle would make me a happy camper for anything I'd ever need to do with a .223.
Posted By: TWR Re: Glass...................... - 02/10/16
I wound up with 2 VX6 1-6's and they work for me. I've had a few 3.5-10's and just never hardly turned them off 3.5x to kill a called coyote.
Originally Posted by boatboy
I think 2-7 with a 33mm works great on most of my ARs Hank

This is what's on my 16" AR. A Leupold 2x7x33 with the Firedot 4 reticle. Turned down to 2x and I can move fast and keep both eyes open while making hits. Longer range, dial it up to 7x to hit little bitty things out past 200 yards or bigger things past 400.

Ed

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24mm

$330 - 15% @ Camerland now......
I found a 3.5x10 Conquest works pretty good on one of my 556.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glass...................... - 02/19/16
What are you wanting to do with the rifle? I can seem to hit a smaller target or further with SWFA 1-4 than an aimpoint.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
What are you wanting to do with the rifle? I can seem to hit a smaller target or further with SWFA 1-4 than an aimpoint.

Everything, that's the problem. Want to punch paper at long range and close range work as well as hunt some
Then for the value oriented person, I'd suggest what I'm running, a 1-4. Or if you have the cash to burn a 1-6.

If you are really well healed, Leopold makes a 1-8.
Posted By: TWR Re: Glass...................... - 02/19/16
You might be better off with a red dot and a higher powered scope in QD mounts. Red dot for fun and the scope for target work.

I've used a lot of different optics (Aimpoint, EoTech, 1-4, 1-6, 2-10, 3-9, 3-15, 4.5-14, 6.5-20) and I think my SWFA 1-6 FFP mil-mil donut reticle is hands down the best optic you can get for an AR (under $1k).
3-9x works great for me, from ~10 yards out to as far as I need it. But a large eye box is more important than the actual number at the low end, IMO. I'd rather have a 3x with a large eye box than 1.5x with short eye relief.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glass...................... - 02/20/16
doing "everything" is a lot. At this point what are you and your carbine capable of? An average 16 inch chromed tube should point you toward your best fit. If you have a Krieger tube on the gun then that is something else.

I don't hunt with red dots, and I don't use 3-9 variables on a "multipurpose" carbine.
I am running a 1x4 on a short barrel .300 Blackout and a 3x9 on an 18 inch .223 and 18 inch 6.5 Grendel
I also want an all around scope too. My build is geared more for target and an occasional shot at a varmint. I'm looking at the Burris Veracity 3-15x50 or 2-10x42.

Dan
Im am also leaning veracity or XTR II most likely in 2-10 or 3-15.
Posted By: WEL Re: Glass...................... - 02/21/16
Your looking at this from the wrong angle. As cheap as AR parts are now you need a dedicated close quarter combat rifle with aimpoint. Another one for loger range target and hunting😀. If that's not in the budget the Leupold vxr 2-7 is a good option.
Leupold 3x9 Mark AR with fire dot.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glass...................... - 02/21/16
All this money we waste on this stuff only to find out that we are really not good enough to take advantage of it. Its so funny it is sad.

Posted By: Glynn Re: Glass...................... - 02/21/16
I only have one AR myself right now. Not an ideal situation, but that's where it's at.

I keep the irons on all the time and usually the red dot. Have the allen key in the stock for the RD mount. That covers close up and out to 150. Could really scare some stuff out a lot farther. VW bus at 400 easy.

In the bag with my extra loaded mags is the 2X7 on the Weaver thumbscrew mount. (I know you didn't like it) I have put it on and off at two separate range sessions and was back to hitting an 8 inch plate at 100 on my hind legs. If I have time or know in advance, like a hunt, it would be dialed.

Just need a few more set-ups. smile

Posted By: TXRam Re: Glass...................... - 02/21/16
Remember, an "all arounder" is like a jack of all trades, but master of none...

I started out thinking one "all arounder" would be plenty, now I have 4 and considering a couple more. It truly is a form of mental illness... Haha!
Originally Posted by jimmyp
All this money we waste on this stuff only to find out that we are really not good enough to take advantage of it. Its so funny it is sad.

Not sure what you are referring to.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glass...................... - 02/22/16
I am referring to most of us, we spend a lot of money on our hobby of hunting and shooting in an effort to improve but most of us don't shoot enough to even know what we don't know, myself included.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Glass...................... - 02/22/16
How true! The money spent on one more rifle may have been better spent on ammo or components for one of our current rifles.

The old adage of "beware the man with one gun" has an element of truth, providing he actually shoots it...
Hi-Lux (Leatherwood) announced a 1-8 coming this year at SHOT Show. I think it'll be around $600-$800 street price. I know their CMR series gets good reviews.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
A 1-6 with a good reticle would be perfect for me. But the good ones are heavy, and expensive.

A VX6 with the Vortex reticle would make me a happy camper for anything I'd ever need to do with a .223.

I like the Mk6 1-6x on my AR-10, but it is a big, heavy scope.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I like the Mk6 1-6x on my AR-10, but it is a big, heavy scope.

[Linked Image]

Cheek rest a issue? Scope looks really high.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glass...................... - 02/22/16
Looks like an LT104 to me?
Posted By: jaytee Re: Glass...................... - 02/23/16
I just received in the mail today a scope that I bought here on the 'fire. Its a 2-7 Leupy compact that I plan on putting on my 16" custom build.
© 24hourcampfire