Home
Posted By: Daveh Pencil barrel options? - 02/13/16
Bought a PSA "light" rifle kit but with a M4 contour and a 13.5" Keymod FF Handguard.
It's 6lbs 6oz w/o mag or optics.

What would I save with a pencil barrel? Manufacturer?
Posted By: Captain Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/13/16
Don't have numbers on 14.5" barrels but on 16" barrels a true pencil barrel is about 4.8 - 5 ounces lighter. Carbine length gas on both,.625" gas block on the thinner barrel. Faxon makes one. The version I bought has Mid-Length gas. Other lightweights I have used are VooDoo, Daniel Defense, Bushmaster/Quality Parts and Colt.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/13/16
OP - I put together a PSA upper and lower with their stainless 16" pencil barrel and Midwest 12" SSK handguard - it was exactly 6 lb as pictured (including the Pmag). I don't know how much different this handguard and stock are from yours in weight, but hope that helps.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ridge Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16
My buddy put together an upper for me with a Faxon mid length pencil and Midwest Industries gen 2 super slim rail. With MOE stock and grip and cheap-o Bushnell TRS 25 it weighs in at 5.89 pounds and shoots better than it has any right to. It's making me rethink lightweight barrels and red dot sights.

Hope this helps.

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16
Here is the pencil barrel that is on my truck gun;

[color:#FF0000]Black Hole Weaponry LINK[/color]

1:8 Twist, mid-length gas, polygonal rifling, great accuracy and very easy to clean.

Ed

Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

1:8 Twist, mid-length gas, polygonal rifling, great accuracy and very easy to clean.

Ed

Tryed to shoot any groups with match ammo with that barrel? Been eyeing that one for a LW build.
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Here is the pencil barrel that is on my truck gun;[color:#FF0000]Black Hole Weaponry LINK[/color] 1:8 Twist, mid-length gas, polygonal rifling, great accuracy and very easy to clean. Ed

Tryed to shoot any groups with match ammo with that barrel? Been eyeing that one for a LW build.

Not yet. I've been playing with some of my 50-55gr handloads made for prairie dogs and crows. If I get off my butt, I'll go put some together. I have 69gr SMK and Hornady 75gr Match, Varget, TAC, Benchmark, H-4895, Fed 205M, and Rem 7 1/2's to mix and match.

When I get that "round-to-it" I'll post the results. It's been accurate enough with the 50-55's that I considered shooting the Campfire Black Rifle Challenge, but never got that "round-to-it". blush

Ed
Posted By: TWR Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by ridge
My buddy put together an upper for me with a Faxon mid length pencil and Midwest Industries gen 2 super slim rail. With MOE stock and grip and cheap-o Bushnell TRS 25 it weighs in at 5.89 pounds and shoots better than it has any right to. It's making me rethink lightweight barrels and red dot sights.

Hope this helps.

Sounds real familiar...
Yeah, my buddy's more of a starter and alternator guy, but he's not too shabby with AR's if you get past his acute case of hillbilly fugliness.

Strangely enough he has your initials.... wink

Hey, I just realized this is my second post! In 9 years no less! Does this mean I've reached resident expert status?

Originally Posted by ridge
Yeah, my buddy's more of a starter and alternator guy, but he's not too shabby with AR's if you get past his acute case of hillbilly fugliness. Strangely enough he has your initials.... ;)Hey, I just realized this is my second post! In 9 years no less! Does this mean I've reached resident expert status?

Yes, you are officially an "old new guy". grin

Welcome (back) to the 'Fire!

Ed
Posted By: TWR Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16
Welcome back!

I'm thinking about buying one just like it, was yours coated SS or chrome moly?
Nitrided 4150 CMV (I think).

Next time we go to the range let's really warm it up and see what it does.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16
Faxon pricing is good, hope they get some back in stock
Posted By: TXRam Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/14/16

Ed

Just received one of these that I had ordered during their SHOT show sale. Need to order a handguard, gas block and tube - everything else is on hand to put it together (Colt 6720 donor upper/lower/bcg/trigger/etc, Rogers super stock, Aimpoint T1, Magpul BUIS, etc.)
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/15/16
My Voodoo 16.5 ultra light is 21 oz
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/16/16
Originally Posted by TXRam

Ed

Just received one of these that I had ordered during their SHOT show sale. Need to order a handguard, gas block and tube - everything else is on hand to put it together (Colt 6720 donor upper/lower/bcg/trigger/etc, Rogers super stock, Aimpoint T1, Magpul BUIS, etc.)

That barrel deserves a BCM KMR rail, IMO.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Pencil barrel options? - 02/16/16
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by TXRam

That barrel deserves a BCM KMR rail, IMO.

Thinking about an ALG Defense M-Lok. I don't like the look of the key mod rails personally.
© 24hourcampfire