Home
Looking at buying one. I need some input from the fire. Good, bad, or otherwise.
Thanks,
John Boy
Early ones were considered light duty by most, hit or miss on internals being quality parts - first models were not received well, for hobby use over weekend gopher duty.

The Bushmasters have a reputation for cracking at the reciever pins in this area with the LGS, seen a couple that had to be replaced. YMMV
I'd pass.
^^ This ^^

Many more economic AR options out there. S&W M&P 15 Sport II, Ruger AR556, come to mind. If one looks hard they can be found for $100-150 more than the Bushy Carbon 15.
I had heard that the parts weren't mil spec.
Originally Posted by John_Boy

That would be an understatement.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by John_Boy

That would be an understatement.

Bushmaster. That's redundant.

Still a step above DPMS (Doesn't Phlucking Meet Standards)
I own one of the newer models and never had a problem. The only commercial spec item is the stock and buffer tube. Barrel nut is different due to the thread thickness of the upper. Takedown pins are a tad longer due to the thickness of the carbon as opposed to aluminum. Worst case you buy an Anderson upper and barrel nut for $50 and swap the parts. For the right price and the recreational shooter, I wouldn't hesitate.
Always heard a ton of bad stuff about them, but the mid 1990's production model I had worked flawlessly and was actually pretty danged accurate.
Finally traded mine off for a Stag in 6.8.

The weight on the Carbon Bushmaster is only like about a 1/2 pound lighter than a aluminum AR. For my money, in today's AR-15's, I'd buy either a Ruger or a S&W M&P.
Or spend a little more and buy a Colt or a Stag.
It could work out.............

If you like 2-piece lowers.
I'll take it as consensus, no carbon 15.......
Originally Posted by fellas2
The only commercial spec item is the stock and buffer tube.

Except for all the other stuff you mentioned, and more.
Carbon - bad

Polymer - better

Aluminum - best.

I have a couple of polymer lowers and they make a nice light AR. To many horror stores about the carbon lowers breaking. If you want light I can give you a name of a polymer lower that might fit your needs.

kwg
Pass.
© 24hourcampfire