Home
Posted By: Bugger AR-15 upper complete - 06/12/16
Having never built an AR before, I have a lot of questions. I'm looking for a 20" barrel, w.o. Carry handle. I'd prefer a 6.5mm, but if it is a couple hundred bucks more, no way.

1 Where to go?
2. Is a trigger upgrade worth while? What is best bang for a buck?
3. Any options that are highly recommended?

I have no need for metallic sights. Would use this rifle for prairie dogs through coyotes. I'd probably mount a FX-2 6x scope on it. Thanks for your advice.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/12/16
If you want a 6.5, you'll probably have to go to a custom builder like White Oak or Delton if you want it complete.

Yes, triggers do matter.........Geiselle is never a mistake; G2s, SSA, or SSA-E will provide good service.

As far as other options go, for that kind of build, I surely opt for a stainless barrel, probably with no muzzle device unless you plann to use a can......then I'd just get it threaded with a cap.

Obviously, rifle gas system.

I'm partial to SOPMOD(LMT) stocks if you go the collapsible route.

JMHO.

MM
Posted By: jwp475 Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/13/16

I went with a Yankee Hill up with a 20" barrel in 6.8 and I am very pleased. I have used and like Geiselle, and AR Gold and both are very good triggers.
Posted By: RickyD Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/13/16
I'd prefer a 6.5mm, but if it is a couple hundred bucks more, no way.
Consider Blackhole Weaponry. Their .264 LBC runs about 300 bucks unless they are having a sale.

A poster here, Smack, builds great looking shooting and looking rifles using Blackhole Weaponry barrels. He spec's a somewhat unique but proven contour. Mine is just stock contour but would have done his contour in a minute, noting the groups he's posted. It sounded like he'd be good with just picking up the barrel, too. He's a good guy and very helpful.

I wish I could tell you how mine shoots but it's not swapped out with the tomato stake it's replacing yet. I have five builds to do counting this swap out, but don't figure it will be until July that I have time. Best to you.
Posted By: pacecars Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/13/16
[Linked Image]

Bottom is an Odin Works 18" barrel and forend in 6.5 Grendel
Posted By: Bugger Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/14/16
Thanks for the help!
Posted By: fellas2 Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/16/16
pacecars, what stock is on that one in the picture ?
Posted By: pacecars Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/16/16
It is a Magpul UBR. I used have their CTR on my guns until I tried the UBR. It locks up solidly with no wiggle. The cheek rest portion does not move, just the portion below it and behind it adjusts. It is a little heavier than the CTR and more expensive but the ergonomics make up for it.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/16/16
Originally Posted by pacecars
It is a Magpul UBR. I used have their CTR on my guns until I tried the UBR. It locks up solidly with no wiggle. The cheek rest portion does not move, just the portion below it and behind it adjusts. It is a little heavier than the CTR and more expensive but the ergonomics make up for it.

It's a great stock, alright, but it's not just a little heavier than the CTR.............it's a lot heavier, as in more than twice.

And it's a $250+ stock vs a $60 tag for the CTR.

MM
Posted By: pacecars Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/16/16
Yeah but it is nice smile
Posted By: Bugger Re: AR-15 upper complete - 06/19/16
$300 sounds great
© 24hourcampfire