Home
All:

Where would mount a light on a standard Stag Arms Model 2 AR with the regular hand guards? I have seen some ARs like this one setup with a mount on the A frame and also a setup that goes underneath the guards. The rifle will also have an EOtech 512 on top.

Thank you.
I had the same question almost four years ago. Where to mount a light on a rifle with standard hand guards. I used the IWC mount linked to below. I'm not sure if there is something better or newer, but it works for my needs.

Here is a link:

IWC TMC Light Mount
The Elzetta light mount is a great design for use with the A2 front sight and standard handguards.
[Linked Image]
this is a Streamlight TLR1 HL 600 lumen light mounted on a Mossie Tactics midnight mount sold by Battlecomp. But I'd change out the hand guards to the Magpul Slim line's for more room.

For a regular light, that TMC mount linked to above looks pretty good though.
As close to 12 o'clock and as far forward as you can comfortably use it is the best place for it. How to get it there depends on your rifle and what light you have.
Scrap the carbine handguards and go with either the MOE or a drop-in rail and your options open up significantly. I'd go with an EXOS RADIUS rail and a Haley Strategic cantilever mount plus a Surefire M300B.
Originally Posted by TWR
[Linked Image]
this is a Streamlight TLR1 HL 600 lumen light mounted on a Mossie Tactics midnight mount sold by Battlecomp. But I'd change out the hand guards to the Magpul Slim line's for more room.

For a regular light, that TMC mount linked to above looks pretty good though.
The only thing I see that I don't like about the mount pictured is that if you somehow banged that light into something, it's conceivable you could damage the front sight too. Probably a pretty slim chance, but I think I'd go another way for mounting the light.
You could break the mount and light plum off there but you are not going to break or bend the FSB on a Colt.
Originally Posted by TWR
You could break the mount and light plum off there but you are not going to break or bend the FSB on a Colt.
I'm new to AR's, so excuse my ignorance. The front sights are built to take abuse?
I'd say built to "withstand" abuse. Mounting a sling or light to them isn't goint to hurt anything.

They are one hunk of steel and pinned in place to the barrel. They aren't goint anywhere.
Ha. I have removed a couple of front sights. Even cut one off. You can beat on them with hammers and not move/damage them. Ask me how I know😗
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
As close to 12 o'clock and as far forward as you can comfortably use it is the best place for it. How to get it there depends on your rifle and what light you have.

Why 12 o'clock?

Curious as I prefer 6 0'Clock.
I prefer 6 also...
I've never rested my rifle under something so 12:00 is free.

It's easy to operate by either hand without shifting my hold.

Less shadow.

I've used and use lights mounted on both sides and at 6:00, in fact I have 3 rifles that still use the 9:00 mounting due to folding sights built in out front. On a carbine like this one, this mount and position work best for me.

I have even used a Light Force Walkabout light mounted on top of my scope, whatever works for you...
Yeah I guess it depends on the rifle and what you are doing at the time. I have used 6:00, 9:00, and off of picatinny rails, scope ring caps, and gas blocks. But it has always been under (if not worried about resting or using a bipod) or off to the side at least somewhat, anywhere from 9-11:00, depending. Never directly at 12:00....
mine uses a mount that utilizes the front sight tower. A through bolt, and the light holding fixture. Works perfectly. Holds the light steady, and at just the right place for my left thumb to work the off/on switch.
[Linked Image]
I have no front sight on any of my guns.

Being able to reach switch easily is very important. I like to be able to readily hit switch with rifle shouldered ( in the aiming position) with little to no movement. I have a couple pressure pad switches, but don't really prefer them. I may try one again.....
These 3 use the 600 lumen TLR1 HL light at 9:00 [Linked Image]
lots of options
6 o clock
Both of my HD rifles have lights at 12 o'clock with rocker switches.

If one doesn't plan to rest the gun on anything and has a lower rail, then a cheap vertical grip, a light with a 1" body and a cheap 1" weaver ring works well for +/- $50.

Situated correctly all one does is push their left index finger knuckle forward and the light comes on.

Old school pic for reference:
[Linked Image]
I like that through bolt mount with rail, wonder if it will work with magpul slimline forend?
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Why 12 o'clock?

Curious as I prefer 6 0'Clock.

What TWR said.

The light will always be available even when bracing the rifle....Resting it on something or bracing it left or right.

There's less shadow on target with a light on top.

And it's ambidextrous, with a proper switch.

6 o'clock casts more shadow on the target and can get blocked by barricades / rests.
I went ahead and got a mount that sits on the A frame with a light (up to 550 Lumens) that can either be turned on by a regular press button, or another cap that has a wire and pressure switch mounted right to the hand guards.

I like the wire option as the standard setup. It allows me to turn on/off the light without taking my hand off the hand guard. Also, the light only stays on so as long as I keep pressure on the switch. If I want the light on all the time, just switch caps.

Very happy with my new setup. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Here are the products I used.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...ries-tactical-light-mount-prod21194.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ0DU5G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That makes sense.
I mostly shoot at noises in the dark but saw a few cool options:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The few lights I have are at 6pm though.
© 24hourcampfire