Home
Posted By: 458 Lott Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
I've been thinking a 45 acp carbine might be kinda fun for plinking. I debated the AR platform, but it ends up being somewhat of a kluge and not exactly cheap. Which got me to thinking for the same coin I could have a tommy gun. The downside of the tommy gun is no picatinny to mount a red dot to, but other than that seems like an option.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
I got to shoot one once. My opinion is it was too heavy for what it was. Other than that was a lot of fun.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
a CX4 Storm from Beretta would be less money.
Posted By: viking Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
Fun, but heavy.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by TC1
I got to shoot one once. My opinion is it was too heavy for what it was. Other than that was a lot of fun.

Pretty much sums it up for my opinion, and the drum magazines are very expensive if you are going full "Capone" gangster. Stick magazines are still fairly cheap, and can be found.

At least with the AR, you can change the upper to another caliber when you are done.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
http://mechtechsys.com/1911-carbine-conversion/
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
Find an old Marlin camp carbine in .45. Never shot one that I did not really like.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
I had 2 of them
The 1927 a1 (Capone style)
Too long to be comfortable to shoot
Mags are a huge pain to load
Very heavy

Cool to say you have one

The 1927m1 really was not the cool factor but I liked it much better
Stick mags easier to load (will not take drum)
Felt better to shoulder
If I should have kept one I would have never guessed but that was the one

I almost felt like I was wasting 45 ammo lots more fun through a series 70 or any 1911

You Bearly feel recoil when you pull the trigger
Sold mine can't say I miss them
An old Marine bought my M1 he was so happy I felt it was in the right hands
Hank
Posted By: Yondering Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by deerstalker

I had one of these in 45 Auto on a 1911 frame for a long time; it was a great shooter. Very accurate and almost no recoil, much less than an AR15 in the same caliber. It handled hotter loads than my 1911 was capable of, but cycled light target loads well too. Kinda wish I still had it.
Posted By: blanket Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
I have a Mechtech on a Glock 17, 33 rd mags and a red dot. Lots of fun on chiselers and jackrabbits
Posted By: deflave Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/02/16
They're cool as schit and I wish I'd bought one when I had the chance.

Dave
18 pounds empty, and fires from an open bolt.

Sure, they are cool, but I'd do the Storm or AR.
Posted By: deflave Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
When buying things like Garand's, 03's, and Thompson's, practicality has nothing to do with it.

They're just cool.

Is Auto-Ordinance still making the Thompson's?

Dave
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
They are, and from the last few examples I have seen, they are doing a very good job.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/firearms/firearms.asp
Posted By: deflave Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
What was the price on them?

Dave
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
I've fired full auto Thompsons, and they are cool. That said, they are heavy, and hard to shoot well. A semi version would only interest me as a wall hanging.
Posted By: shootAI Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
Wholesale prices range from 900-2500 depending on options. WIth the 100 round drum it's around 1300 wholesale.
Posted By: viking Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
Flave,,you need to buy one and do a Utube review.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by viking
Flave,,you need to buy one and do a Utube review.

i'd like to see that too!
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
I've fired a few, more of a conversation piece than anything else in my opinion. I'd prefer a Beretta storm for my use .
Posted By: Terryk Re: Semi auto tommy gun? - 12/03/16
I had a new deluxe one with the finned barrel and vertical front grip, ladder rear sight, with 30 round stick mags and the 100 round drum. The 16 inch barrel is really too long and looks goofy compared to the original FA version. Mine was an 1980s Auto Ordinance. The trigger was like a double action revolver and super heavy. Brass sprayed pretty far and in different directions, so it was had to find. All in all, it was the single most disappoint firearm I ever bought. For plinking and burning up brass, a retro M1 carbine is a zillion times funner. After that disappointment, I thought of getting a Uzi for plinking, but one of those gun bans pooped up. Sold the Thompson with drum, mags, and original boxes for a 100 dollar profit during the ban. Certainly good for me because I hated it, but the drum price went insane. It was a good deal for the buyer I guess. I charged 100 bucks for the drum, and at that time I think they were going for 500.
© 24hourcampfire