Home
If I'm mounting a Leupold 2x7 with 32mm objective lense on a flat top AR?
With no riser extra high is where to start. Its even going to be to low for most folks it seems. Works fine for me, but I"m somewhat adaptable and not so demanding..
It seems you want the center line of the scope about 1.4" above the receiver, the height of the open sights on AR's. Sometimes using rings on AR's, it can be difficult to get the scope properly lined up. You're better off getting a quality mount. I went through this on my first AR build, ended up with a couple sets of extra rings!
I went with Warne aluminum extra high detachables. I need some for a new gun and want some of the cantilevered style that move everything forward. My Vari-x II 2x7 is a little too far back with the straight mounts. The front ring is in the first slot and the scope is as far forward as it can go. I am not comfortable with one ring on the forearm and one on the upper.
SNR,

This Leupold mount is what I use on my flat top AR and it's perfect for the 2x7x33 VX-R Firedot4;

LINK

Ed
extra high or a pair of see throughs work fine.
Just order a 1 piece Rock River mount, either straight up or cantilever to get your scope forward. I ordered all mine from RRA direct & with the 18% off they were less than $60. Solid mount & gets your head where you need it. Beats the hell out of the Burris one piece & cheaper.
Jim D
Posted By: toad Re: How tall of a ring do I need? - 12/28/16
.5" riser and Seekins lows (.82") for a total of 1.3"-ish works for me. I could go lower, but wanted the riser to bridge the rails and had the Seekins rings on hand...

[Linked Image]
I like highs on a 1/2" riser. It comes out close to what std AR mounts are.
© 24hourcampfire