Home
Posted By: gophergunner AR update - 01/14/17
I'm learning as I go here. My son set me up with a Palmetto State AR and I'm just having a ball learning how to operate it. Shot it several times with the flip up open sights, and I've got those sighted in as good as my tired old eyes can shoot them.

I was in the Sportsman's Guide shop here in town and picked up a cheap AR scope on clearance. Finally got a chance to shoot it in today. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. The scope's a Barska, and it shows. Works "okay" but the center of the bullseye isn't real clear. I'll be upgrading soon. I've heard a lot of good reviews on the Primary Arms AR offerings and will be looking at those and some others too.

I ran a box of 50 rounds through it today at an indoor range. The final group (at 50 yards) was dead on the bullseye and all inside the 1" ring. This gun is just a blast to shoot. No recoil, and not a single FTF, or stovepipe since I bought it.

So if you were going to go to a decent scope, with a budget of $200.00 what you go with?
Posted By: Glynn Re: AR update - 01/14/17
How far are you going to shoot it? Paper targets for groups or steel targets for proportion? Coyotes? Deer?
Posted By: BMT Re: AR update - 01/14/17
Redfield
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: AR update - 01/14/17
Originally Posted by BMT
Redfield

+1 Or the Leupold Mark AR series.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: AR update - 01/15/17
Originally Posted by Glynn
How far are you going to shoot it? Paper targets for groups or steel targets for proportion? Coyotes? Deer?
This one's pretty much just for fun. I'm hoping to build another one for deer hunting and that one would need to be good out to about 200 yards, as that's about the length of my accurate ability to shoot it.
Posted By: 86thecat Re: AR update - 01/15/17

Also looking at scopes for my AR, the Burris MTAC 200437 is at the top of my list so far as an inexpensive scope with daylight visible red dot. About $300 though.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: AR update - 01/15/17
If you get budget creep, $300 starts to pick up more quality stuff, including the SWFA SS's and Burris.
Posted By: Glynn Re: AR update - 01/15/17
If it's just for fun, then I would get one of Primary Arms "red dot Aimpoint copys"

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life-md-ads

If you want a scope, here's one on sale

http://www.primaryarms.com/bushnell...e-with-drop-zone-223-bdc-reticle-ar91424
Posted By: Dantheman Re: AR update - 01/15/17
Check out the Hawke Endurance and the Endurance 30.

I just put the 1.5-6x44 on a 450 Bushmaster that seems nice so far. They have cheap prices at Dodd's Sporting goods.
I bought mine at Optics Planet and got them to match Dodd's price which was $244 delivered as opposed to $319.

Dodd's Sporting Goods, Hawke Scopes

Optics Planet, Hawke Scope

Dan
Posted By: texas_hawg Re: AR update - 01/15/17
I've got this Bushnell on my AR with close to a thousand rounds with it on. I like it a lot for an inexpensive scope.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...de-focus-drop-zone-223-bdc-reticle-matte

On my AR 10 I've got a Primary Arms scope, but it was closer to $300. I like that scope and reticle even more.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: AR update - 01/15/17
vortex crossfire scout
Posted By: DrGnarr Re: AR update - 01/16/17
Leupold vx II 2-7
Or the Redfield 2-7 which is much more affordable.

To me it's all about the warranty and customer service which has been great for me for the odd times that I've needed it.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: AR update - 01/16/17
Black Spider optics-BSD 1-4 x 24
Posted By: gophergunner Re: AR update - 01/16/17
Thanks for the info guys. Lots of options to consider in the $200.00 range.
Posted By: rogn Re: AR update - 01/17/17
Vortex seems to make good but overrated scopes. Ive got a few of them, I dont feel they live up to advertising, but they are easily equal to those in the price range. I will probably buy more in the future. $ for $ theyre OK.
© 24hourcampfire