Home
Posted By: Glynn Factory ammo ? - 03/16/17
Are there any factory loads that you are just sure will tell you what kind of accuracy you can expect from your AR?

I know Jeff told me to try some Federal Gold match w/69 SGK back when I was wondering about my first carbine and how it was shooting. Compared to the PMC TAC it was quite an improvement and kept me from looking for a different barrel.

Seems like I heard some of the Black Hills was that way also. What do you try when you just want to see if it's a shooter? What bullet weights?

Reloads too, is there a load you have that just seems to work in most barrels, no matter what?
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
The Federal Match 69gr load would be my reccomendation as well. Your gun may like something else better but the Federal should at least shoot good, if not great. Between three or four different types of "match grade" ammo, your should find something that shoots well. If not, I'd contact the manufacturer.

Even the worst AR barrels should shoot less than 2 MOA with quality ammo.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Between three or four different types of "match grade" ammo, your should find something that shoots well.

I agree with using a known match load, and I'll add that I take several loads to the range for testing, especially if I'm having issues with what I expect to be good.

It depends on what I have available, but I'll take everything from ball ammo to match/target loads.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
HSM 69s, most black hills too

25 varget and 69 sierra moly, LC case, CCI BR4 at 2.250 oal.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
Has to be a proven 60 vmax load too, I just have never had any of those...
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
The black hills and federal loads listed have been good for sure but quite a bit cheaper and damn good is fiocchi 50 gr vmax. $20/50 is hard to beat. I always keep a decent stash around
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
Gonna have to try some of those Fiochis.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
Do it dirt...doubt you'll be dissapointed, especially for the price
Posted By: Glynn Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
My brother had a cheaper single shot rifle, the New England Arms or similar in .223 that also loved those Fiocchis and I bet it had a lot slower twist.
Posted By: Glynn Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
Thanks for the replies. Any of you all ever pull bullets and look at and weigh powder charges when you find a good one?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/17/17
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Do it dirt...doubt you'll be dissapointed, especially for the price

Thanks, Cert. Saw the dang things at a good price on sale recently with free shipping, but didn't pull the trigger. Won't miss 'em next time.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/18/17
I'd shoot the ammo you plan to use and if the AR doesn't shoot it well, get one that will.

Shooting 50-64gr FMJ/SP/HP ammo works perfectly for what I do so if an AR couldn't shoot 50gr HP/PTV or 55-64gr SP I wouldn't want to own it....
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/18/17
On Jeff's advice I traded into some 69grain Federal GMM.

This was my first five shots at 200 yards. Wind kinda got me on one, the target stands weren't very stable at the line.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/18/17
That's fantastic shooting for a red dot at 200 yds.!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/18/17
That's for sure.

Blue, whose FF handguard are you using there?
Posted By: Glynn Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/18/17
Nebraska, I get what you are saying and it may be I use that for an excuse to build another gun. smile

For the most part I shoot steel plates at 100-250 yards for fun and keeping the skill set. If I ever decide to shoot a coyote, any one of the 2-3 inch at 100 loads would suit me fine. For deer (probably doe only season) or hogs the Hornady 70 gr. GMX load I tried will be more than good. I've been a trad bowhunter for the last 20 years, a 100 yard shot seems like a long one to me. lol

The old rifle shooter in me just wants to see some little clusters down there, we all like that challenge.

I got Varget and 69 SMK's at Cabelas tonight, they were out of 60 gr. V-max and no Black Hills or Fed GMM but I will put in an order on payday.
That's a factory Barnes Precision rifle and their rail. I haven't taken it off to weigh it, but I'd guess that it's not the lightest just looking at it. Not heavy, but it's not a BCM KMR for sure. That being said, this thing is incredibly stout. It uses a really long barrel nut and locks up super tight.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
That's fantastic shooting for a red dot at 200 yds.!

Thanks, I adjusted the zero and shot some steel after that. It's hard to measure group size on steel but I was very impressed. At 400 seeing the target was the thing holding me back more than anything.

The other groups didn't seem as tight, but the wind had a greater effect at 300-400, too.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/19/17
I have shot a few very good groups with factory Hornady 55 grain vmax and its not too expensive.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/19/17
Nice group Blue, I guess the rifle is covering up the other 15 shots? wink
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by Glynn
The old rifle shooter in me just wants to see some little clusters down there, we all like that challenge.

That's a great way to spend the day! wink
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Nice group Blue, I guess the rifle is covering up the other 15 shots? wink

15? Try 20....
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
That's a factory Barnes Precision rifle and their rail. I haven't taken it off to weigh it, but I'd guess that it's not the lightest just looking at it. Not heavy, but it's not a BCM KMR for sure. That being said, this thing is incredibly stout. It uses a really long barrel nut and locks up super tight.

Stout is good. Probably didn't run you right at $300 either.
Posted By: 2ndtimer Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/20/17
Another bargain priced factory ammo that has given very good results in several AR rifles and carbines is the Federal American Eagle Tipped Varmint 50 gr loads. I have paid anywhere from $7 to $10 per box of 20. Ditto on the Fiocchi Extrema V-MAX loads, both the 40 and 50 gr varieties.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/21/17
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Stout is good. Probably didn't run you right at $300 either.

Not exactly, I won it last year.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/21/17
Even better.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/23/17
I have a friend who swears by Atlanta Arms 60grain VMax. I shot with him at 400 yards today and the three top right shots were his. You could cover them with a fist.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Factory ammo ? - 03/24/17
Looks like it's already been stated, but I'm a fan of the Fiochi 50 gr. loads.
© 24hourcampfire