Home
Anyone have any experience with this rifle in the newer versions? What is a reasonable accuracy expectation? Do they function reliably? Are they easily scoped?
I am sure that as always we will have a brisk discussion on this rifle. I have owned 3 of them but will not ever buy another. Firing pin breaks on hard military primers and as I understand it you got to send the thing ack to Ruger for a replacement. Accuracy with any type of ammo will never be as good as a DI gun, if you have to have one be sure and clean the gas port and op rod as it will rust. In my opinion it's overpriced for what it is, but some people like them and tell stories about their accuracy smile my favorite is the one where you spend $1000 over the price of the gun and then display 3 shot groups! Shoot 10 rounds and post that picture!
It's an American made AK

Advantage is stainless steel and no pistol grip--was CA legal for years.

In states where ARs are permitted, it is not the first choice
if its what you want and it will produce groups small enough to keep you happy, then grab it and run.

I"m like a few others. Don't want one. M1A, yes, Mini 14 nope.
The design was updated about 10 years ago, the barrel was made with a thicker tube, stiffer, and reported as somewhat better in the overall accuracy.

The wood stock was largely replaced with the synthetic design, the front sight was smaller, and moved to the end of the barrel.

The older model were hit or miss on accuracy, I've had both. Haven't shot a newer version, so can't comment.

The Ranch model is designed to wear a scope, the rifle handles scopes very easy in my experience, standard Ruger rings, same size, usually 1 inch. The standard Mini receiver does not have the Ruger bases.

I like the looks of the older design, as stated above, if it meets your needs - run with it.
Sub moa dog down all day, no. Minute of bad guy, yep.

I have 2 Mini 14's and 2 AR 15's. They each have good and bad characteristics in my opinion. If you like tricking things out go AR. If your happy with the supplied rings and a good scope mounted go Mini.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
The design was updated about 10 years ago, the barrel was made with a thicker tube, stiffer, and reported as somewhat better in the overall accuracy.

The wood stock was largely replaced with the synthetic design, the front sight was smaller, and moved to the end of the barrel.

The older model were hit or miss on accuracy, I've had both. Haven't shot a newer version, so can't comment.

The Ranch model is designed to wear a scope, the rifle handles scopes very easy in my experience, standard Ruger rings, same size, usually 1 inch. The standard Mini receiver does not have the Ruger bases.

I like the looks of the older design, as stated above, if it meets your needs - run with it.

The Mini-14 made after 2005 with a 580-prefix serial number or higher are more consistant/generally more accurate than the earlier ones. Ruger made a few mods and retooled the production line.

Mine is about a 2MOA rifle with pretty much any ammo I've tried. Haven't done any special load development or mods so don't know how much better it could be.

Ranch rifles come with Ruger rings so very easy to scope.
Thanks MikeL2, that's helpful. Currently I live in California for most of the year where AR's have been(for practical purposes)made illegal to own.
Here is an older model Ranch Rifle that I sent to Accuracy Systems. Fortunately for me, prices were better back then.

I did the stock work myself. Picatinny rail from Brownells.

http://www.accuratemini14.com/index.php

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
not a fair comparison. LOL
Originally Posted by rost495
not a fair comparison. LOL

grin

Probably not, but it is a fine rifle.

I costs a few bucks to have a Mini shoot against even the least expensive AR, but it can be done.

DF
Originally Posted by BMT
It's an American made AK

Advantage is stainless steel and no pistol grip--was CA legal for years.

In states where ARs are permitted, it is not the first choice

I never cease to be amazed how lethal that pistol grip seems to be...

DF
To be fair it costs a few bucks to get a top line AR too...

Lethal pistol grips... hmm, thats a funny one, so it fits funny KA I guess.

Probably should have said, equal money spent on a Mini and an AR, bet on the AR for better groups.

Mini probably tougher, less affected by dirt, etc., not sure if it's as tough as an AK.

I'd bet on a Mini outshooting an AK, especially the newer Mini with Ruger in-house, hammer forged barrels.

I've never liked AK's, never had one, never wanted one. I'm not much of a pray and spray advocate.

DF
I have a forged AK.... have not been impressed with it either, had it since the 86? ban was going into effect, just to say FU to whichever idiot was banning importation at the time. So there. LOL. FWIW I'd take an SKS any day.. I've shot enough of them that are damn close to MOA guns to be impressed... sights and triggers still suck though...
I had a Ruskie SKS. It went down the road some years ago.

Some people like them.

They don't ring my bell... grin

DF
I have an older ranch and a newer tactical, both stainless. I really like how they handle and they are accurate enough for self defense and mid range predator or deer duty. I would say 2.5-5 MOA with M193 equivalent, which will do less than half that in a DI AR that is cheaper than a mini. They are frustrating because seem to show promise but always throw out a flier or two. Despite it all, I still rely on mine for defense over my AR. I just like the way they come to the shoulder and how they feel when they fire. If you want a mini because you *really* want an M1A, just get an M1A. They are quite a bit more gun at quite a bit more price.
I like the way they handle more than the AR. Never warmed up to that "lethal looking" pistol grip... shocked

Seriously, to me the AR feels clunky, the Mini handles more like a rifle should, IMO.

DF

its subjective, but there are no armies using the mini as far as I know, I always wondered if the full auto guns beat themselves to pieces. The AR is an amazing weapon. I shot my 6.8spc yesterday and got acceptable groups with benchmark and 95 grain TSX bullets, it made a few 1 inch groups for a change, pretty happy with it today. The Mini is a 1-9 twist IIRC so not sure what bullets you plan on shooting, the 1-7 ar will stabilize the longest barnes and 75 grain swifts but I think a 1-8 will also. In short if you live in a place you cannot own an ar, then buy a stainless steel mini and be happy, I would use only Ruger magazines and I would buy a bunch of them. At self defense ranges it will more than work.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I like the way they handle more than the AR. Never warmed up to that "lethal looking" pistol grip... shocked

Seriously, to me the AR feels clunky, the Mini handles more like a rifle should, IMO.

DF

The gun that feels like a real gun is the M14/M1A. Still does to this day to the wife and I... Unfortunately we only have 2 of them full built match but not lugge,d MC stocks, Krieger tubes etc...

It took probably 2-3 years of the AR to learn the gun and learn to love it and its feel. Now it actually is much more familiar in our hands than the M1As.

Not sure that this makes sense, but love the feel of the M1A but the AR we shot so many years it is just now a react type of thing, you never think about it, grab it and go... its all still on auto pilot to load, shoot, clear a jam, change mags rapidly etc.... even though we quit matches in 2004....

Probably should have said, equal money spent on a Mini and an AR, bet on the AR for better groups.

Mini probably tougher, less affected by dirt, etc., not sure if it's as tough as an AK.

Not a chance on either count. There's a reason nobody considers Minis for serious work and no army in the World uses them.

But at least the Mini fixed the hand-induced stoppages of the M1 design.

Originally Posted by Larry Vickers
09-06-13, 16:19
The Mini-14's I have had in my classes have proven exactly what I have believed all along - they are not serious use firearms. They are for hobbyists, plinkers, and those who some how feel we should still be using a Garand variant as a service rifle.

Their performance in my classes has been very unimpressive - there is a reason you rarely see them anymore. They are trash.
I believe that they are trash as well, but I did not want to hurt anyone's feelings, but what the hell...if you live in a free state and you buy a mini 14 over an ar15 you should probably have your head examined.
Bermuda used to field the mini, but no longer. I believe some French PD/swat types use or used to use them. Some US prisons and Tex rangers used them over the years. Let's nit forget the A-team, Jeff Cooper wrote an article praising the then new mini as a handy little gun to keep behind the ranch door, poodle shooting caliber aside.

As has been stated, a mini comes to the shoulde like a traditional rifle. If you grew up with that, it just feels right. They are generally not as reliable as an AR, but they are close. They are no where near as accurate, cost more, and Ruger mags cost more than AR stuff, but they can still do most nods that need doing and are fun to shoot.

So, they are kind of like driving a vintage pickup. It isn't as fast, comfortable, or capable as a newer one, but it can still get most jobs done and it appeals to guys that like the style.
Originally Posted by K1500
Bermuda used to field the mini, but no longer. I believe some French PD/swat types use or used to use them. Some US prisons and Tex rangers used them over the years. Let's nit forget the A-team, Jeff Cooper wrote an article praising the then new mini as a handy little gun to keep behind the ranch door, poodle shooting caliber aside.

As has been stated, a mini comes to the shoulde like a traditional rifle. If you grew up with that, it just feels right. They are generally not as reliable as an AR, but they are close. They are no where near as accurate, cost more, and Ruger mags cost more than AR stuff, but they can still do most nods that need doing and are fun to shoot.

So, they are kind of like driving a vintage pickup. It isn't as fast, comfortable, or capable as a newer one, but it can still get most jobs done and it appeals to guys that like the style.

This does not mirror my experience in any way. The Mini is not, and never has been, adequate. It has been trash from the beginning. I have yet to see a single one, regardless of age or model, exhibit anything resembling accuracy or reliability.

We used to see one or two every time we did a patrol rifle class or refresher, and I never saw one make it without failure. When they did run, they often had accuracy issues making it difficult to even post qualifying scores. Luckily, we havent seen one in years, so hopefully they are no longer being fielded in any real numbers. Even the most worn out, A1 LESO M16 is a far better weapon that any Mini 14 on the planet.
Both mine have been reliable but...both had to go back to Ruger before they were. That is a big, big caveat. So mine were unreliable and it took a Ruger service center to make them run. I just assumed I had bad luck both times, since they now run just fine.

Neither is as accurate as any of my AR's, none of which had to go back to the factory for service for reliability reasons.

Once mine were up and running from Ruger, they both run well. I won't argue with you at all on the accuracy thing. Again, like a vintage pickup, they can still do most jobs, but a newer truck with 150,000 on the ODO is still 'better'. The coyotes and groundhogs I have shot with mine all went down, and I am pretty sure it can deal with a man sized target within the confines of a hallway.

I wouldn't tell anyone to pick one over an AR, but if I lived in CA and it was a mini or nothing, I wouldn't feel unarmed. To tell the truth, after getting an M1A, the Mini's and AR's tend to sit in the safe while the Scout Squad goes to the range. Make me pick one 5.56 and it would be without a shadow of a doubt an AR. Thank goodness I don't have to pick just one.
The thing is, it is tough to compete with 50+ years of battle testing and refinement.

The AR series has been fielded longer than any other rifle/carbine system in US history and it shows in the level of refinement.
I like the Mini platform. The newer ones are actually pretty good. They have been very reliable, in my experience, moderately accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot.
Haters gonna hate. I don't listen to the 'experts' on this issue, as most of them have never even shot a Mini, but depend on years of internet facts. laughing.
Or, conversely, facts dont support your sentiment, so you dismiss them to keep your feelings intact.

I've only had 6 of the danged things (before the internet) and fired a bazillion rounds through them. Enough experience with them to know that I don't want another one of any kind.

The AR is king, if you can't adapt, you will get left behind.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I like the Mini platform. The newer ones are actually pretty good. They have been very reliable, in my experience, moderately accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot.
Haters gonna hate. I don't listen to the 'experts' on this issue, as most of them have never even shot a Mini, but depend on years of internet facts. laughing.

Only shot two. Both circa mid 80s. Know enough that as much as I liked the looks, the cheapest Model 1 Sales parts AR I put together shot WAY better.

So to satisfy my 14 desire we bought four M1As....
I have a 1980 181 Series and I love it. It is not a 1 MOA rifle, not did I ever expect it to be. It is tons of fun to shoot, walnut stocked, in pristine condition and I've got a total of $500 in it. It has never FTF'd for any reason. What's not to like?

I have plenty of Ruger 20 and 30 rd factory mags for it and I put a Vickers sling on it a while back. It is a perfect SHTF gun for me and my own or to pass over a fence to an ally.

As Sam said, haters gonna hate. But, I can tell you this much. You wouldn't want to be on the business end at 100 yds, regardless of who was yanking the trigger. You'll be just as dead as with an AR.

[Linked Image]

If you have one and feel the need to make it better, there is some very good info here:

Mini's

you wouldn't want to be in front of my ARs at 600 yards... LOL.

Minis are cool, they are what they are.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I have a 1980 181 Series and I love it. It is not a 1 MOA rifle, not did I ever expect it to be. It is tons of fun to shoot, walnut stocked, in pristine condition and I've got a total of $500 in it. It has never FTF'd for any reason. What's not to like?

I had a 181 series as well (1978 IIRC?) that was similar. I never scoped it, but it was as accurate as I was with iron sights, basically a little better than minute of soda can at 100 yards. I never had any malfunctions with either factory or handloads, and enjoyed shooting it.

Obviously others have much poorer experiences with them, but I'd be happy to have that one back again. My ARs are all more accurate, but it doesn't have to be a Chevy vs Ford thing; I don't mind owning both.
I like the Mini 14. Mine seems to shoot every time I pull the trigger. I dunno, I guess I got lucky. Fortunately for me I don't have to choose between it and an AR-15. I own and enjoy both.

Silly argument but it's the internet. Carry on.
A WISH of mine is that the Mini-14 would be an accurate and reliable rifle. Then I might buy one.

My EXPERIENCE with them is to the contrary, at least in the accuracy department. Big Brother has 2 of the things, both older models. They are fun to shoot in dog ton but total wast of ammo as I don't know that I EVER hit what I was aiming at.

The newer ones are supposedly better in the accuracy department but reports I've heard and read vary. Until I see proof of accuracy I can't justify laying good money down for one. Went with an AR instead, no regrets.

The first one I had had the wooden hand guard on it. Around 1983 shortly after they came out with the Ranch rifle, I bought one of those. I liked that they were light and handy but this one was less accurate than my first mini 14. They were both reliable, I'll give em that. I bought and sold 4 others over the years trying to find one that was somewhat accurate and finally gave up.

My very first AR was accurate and reliable as have been all the rest. Now some say the new target model mini's are accurate but they no longer are light and handy. Add in the price is as high or higher than an AR and I'm just not interested.

So yes I guess haters are gonna hate but dreamers are always gonna dream. Maybe one day Ruger will get it right...
I inherited Dad's 180 series Mini. A while back I painstakingly worked up some handloads for it, and added some skateboard tape to the recoil pad to keep it from sliding around on my shoulder.

I was rewarded with 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards smirk Oh well. Someday I might kill a pig with it. smile
[Linked Image]
We will never see a Mini from Ruger to be what it should be for the money they charge, why change when mini "savants" buy these things? I will acknowledge that they would be a fantastic $350.00 carbine, and that they are reliable with ruger magazines. I would buy one tomorrow for my truck at $350 if it was stainless steel, would not own a blue one at all.
I had a factory stainless folder. I liked the style, but the accuracy was lacking. I sold it for a Colt HBAR in the mid 80s, no regrets.
© 24hourcampfire