Home
Posted By: Treeingsquirrels 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
I have a 10" barrel. Looking for a bullet to hunt deer with. Not sure if a rifle bullet will work because of the slow velocity. Thinking of a varmint or hollow point. I remember there used to be bullets for single shot handguns, not sure if they are still being produced.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
Couple of options for you to consider:
1) purchase a rifle barrel and use it as such. Never had a deer take a second step after receiving a Sierra 150 FB Spitzer.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2) start casting bullets

180 grains and they do ok from my levermatic
Posted By: scottf270 Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
I use 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Posted By: KB64 Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by scottf270
I use 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I've used the NBT in a 30-30AI Contender Carbine. I've also used the 110 Gr Nosler Varmageddon in a 300 BO Ruger American and have taken a bunch of hogs with it.
Posted By: xphunter Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
125 NBT's are the long-time favorite for killing deer with a 30-30 Contender
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Treeingsquirrels
I have a 10" barrel. Looking for a bullet to hunt deer with. Not sure if a rifle bullet will work because of the slow velocity. Thinking of a varmint or hollow point. I remember there used to be bullets for single shot handguns, not sure if they are still being produced.

I'm not aware of any of the SSP pistol bullets still in production. Could be though.

I would look at the 125 (hollow?) flat point from Sierra and 130 gran flat point from Speer ... they are purpose-built for .30-30. Consider the Speer 125 grain TNT and 130 grain JHP as candidates .. probably need some expansion testing. I would consider the 110 grain VMAX with the same testing first. 125 grain Nosler ballistic tip and Accubond have a good reputation in .30-30 handguns. I would consider 150 grain flat points as well. 150 grain spire points don't behave reliably/predictably at .30-30 velocity even in a rifle. We had a couple of Savage bolt actions and the 150 Sierra and 150 hornady pointy-point bullets completely failed to expand even at hair burning distances more often than not. Mom plugged a big cow in the shoulder and they found the bullet under the hide in the opposite ham unexpanded.
Posted By: Treeingsquirrels Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
Thanks for the replies, I'll give the Nosler ballistic tips a try. The 125 GR is probably the heaviest I want to go. Thanks again!
Posted By: GregK Re: 30-30 contender - 12/21/22
The Hornady 125 SST would be one I'd try too. I shoot them and the 125 Nosler BT out of my 300 Blackout.
Posted By: kenacp Re: 30-30 contender - 12/22/22
All I ever used, 125gr NBT. They just work!
Posted By: Rawhide67 Re: 30-30 contender - 12/23/22
I use the Noselr 125gr in my 30 Herrett. Very similar to the 30-30, as the Herrett case can be made from the 30-30. The 125 Nosler is deadly accurate with the right charge of Reloader 7.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 30-30 contender - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by GregK
The Hornady 125 SST would be one I'd try too. I shoot them and the 125 Nosler BT out of my 300 Blackout.

Been looking for 125 grain BTs for two years with no luck. Found a box of 125 SSTs, so I will give it a go. They will be used in a .30 Herrett and maybe in a .30-30 AI.
Posted By: Uncas Re: 30-30 contender - 12/23/22
Because the BlackOut is popular...110 or 120 Barnes tipped X bullets will expand bigtime then exit at least on broadside and quartering shots..
Posted By: RickinTN Re: 30-30 contender - 12/23/22
As suggested take a look at the Blackout bullets from 110 to 130 grains. Bobby Tomek has some impressive pics of sone Hornady 110 grain bullets which were recovered from game. The CX bullet. I have a 21" barreled Contender carbine and will try this bullet out. I'm trying to limit recoil.
Good Luck,
Rick
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: 30-30 contender - 12/25/22
The Barnes 110 and 120 grain Tac-TX Blackout bullets and the Hornady 110 grain CX (formerly GMX) will expand at lower speeds than other bullets -- and will do so impressively. I've used all of these and have taken quite a few hogs and coyotes. Performance in each and every instance has been exceptional.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: vabowhntr Re: 30-30 contender - 12/25/22
I would agree on the Barnes 110 or 120 for the blackout. Have had excellent performance on deer out to 175 yards at 2350 fps starting velocity.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: 30-30 contender - 12/26/22
"I remember there used to be bullets for single shot handguns, not sure if they are still being produced.

I use the 130 Grain Hornady Spire Point SSP (single shot pistol) bullet in my 30 Herret contender. I don't know if this bullet is still available from Hornady. This bullet model number is 3021. Worked well for me on Whitetails.
Posted By: Papag Re: 30-30 contender - 02/19/23
I bought some 130 or 135 grain "handgun" 308 diamond bullets from the Sierra backdoor outlet once but haven't tried them on game. I have two 30-30 barrels, one 10" bull and a 21" rifle. The second is great. Still fooling with the first.
Posted By: goalie Re: 30-30 contender - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Couple of options for you to consider:
1) purchase a rifle barrel and use it as such. Never had a deer take a second step after receiving a Sierra 150 FB Spitzer.

2) start casting bullets

180 grains and they do ok from my levermatic

You've been led to water......

I love my 30-30 Contender. It's short and handy as a rifle even with a can.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 30-30 contender - 02/20/23
I have a carbine .30-30 barrel for mine, and it is very accurate. Now, if I could just get the action open, after I close it...
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 30-30 contender - 02/22/23
Laffin!
This brings back a long ago memory.

A pal at work had a Contender with the old octagon tapered barrel in 30-30.
I borrowed it out of curiosity and bought a box of something to shoot out of it.
My two young boys went to the range with me and after showing them the firearm and discussing what I was going to be doing, I settled in on the bench.

Both kids had foam ear plugs in and I told them to put their hands over their ears as well. They were standing about ten feet behind me calmly watching with little real interest. BOOOMMM!!! Good Lord that thing was loud!

I turned around to see what they thought about it and they were gone!!
When the pistol went off, both boys thought that the gun blew up!! They'd never heard anything that loud before and took off running instantly.

They proceeded to climb into the pickup to watch from the safety of the cab while I touched off the rest of the rounds..... I still laugh whenever I think of that day.
Posted By: Boartuff_ Re: 30-30 contender - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Laffin!
This brings back a long ago memory.

A pal at work had a Contender with the old octagon tapered barrel in 30-30.
I borrowed it out of curiosity and bought a box of something to shoot out of it.
My two young boys went to the range with me and after showing them the firearm and discussing what I was going to be doing, I settled in on the bench.
F
Both kids had foam ear plugs in and I told them to put their hands over their ears as well. They were standing about ten feet behind me calmly watching with little real interest. BOOOMMM!!! Good Lord that thing was loud!

I turned around to see what they thought about it and they were gone!!
When the pistol went off, both boys thought that the gun blew up!! They'd never heard anything that loud before and took off running instantly.

They proceeded to climb into the pickup to watch from the safety of the cab while I touched off the rest of the rounds..... I still laugh whenever I think of that day.

Good times! They probably still remember that day.
Posted By: papawolf Re: 30-30 contender - 02/28/23
I must be missing something here? I use factory 150g Rem Core-Lokt in my 14" Contender pistol barrel. Every deer I've shot with them have been DRT.
But then again, my maximum distance is 40yds with the average shot being 27yds. I get full expansion when it hits a bone, lol. But I've not lost a deer yet.
But I do like the look of those expansions on the GMX and TAC-TX BT's posted.
I use my Encore with a 12" .308 barrel. Factory loads too. It starts biting after about 5 or 6 rounds.
© 24hourcampfire