Home
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Just picked up a new Henry - 06/03/23
Just got home from Sportsman's Warehouse with a new 44 mag. Henry. The rifle is used and I can't find a mark on it. Came with a 3x9 Leupold mounted , hammer extension and a beautiful stock for 520$. Since I think the 3x9 overwhelms the rifle I mounted a 2x7 Leupold which I think looks much better. Have a question for you guys that know these things. Does the dot inside the trigger guard behind the trigger indicate that the rifle has been through the recall ? Also is it considered okay to dry fire these things ? If no-one responds I will send Pappy 348 A PM as I believe he had one through the recall. Thanks for any info you guys might have.
Posted By: RPN Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/03/23
Yes to both.

I've got one in 308, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how accurate it is.
How's the wood. The wood on these guns usually ranges from good to whoa, nice!
$520 ?
You stole it, plus you got a free Leupold.
Have fun with it.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/04/23
Not a Henry fan but would bought it for that
The stock is very nice, I'll see if my daughter can help me post some pictures. As far as the scope it is the vx freedom 3x9x40 and it looks brand new as well. Midway lists them at 299$ so I think I did pretty well.
The dot indicates it has the redesigned trigger, but not if it was repaired or original.

The recall job on my .410 definitely has a better pull than the .357 that was made that way, but both are good enough.

Henry told me it was okay to dry fire them, though as a rule I don’t do it a bunch with anything without a snap cap.
Here are some pictures of WPAhunter50’s gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: J71248 Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/06/23
Gorgeous wood on that rifle.

I wish Henry would make a nice falling block single shot like the #3 Ruger action.
Posted By: Railman Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by J71248
Gorgeous wood on that rifle.

I wish Henry would make a nice falling block single shot like the #3 Ruger action.

Me too!!!
Appears there’n some nice figure in the forend too. You did well.
Yeah, when I looked across the counter and saw it among all the synthetic stocked rifles it really stood out. Went home and researched prices and decided to go back and pick it up a week later. I bought some 240 grain Fiocchi JHP's and bore sighted it this afternoon. If it shoots good I guess I'll reload some 240 grain XTP's. Since I live and hunt mainly in a straight wall area this should come in handy. I also have a 350 legend bolt action so they can take turns.
USOG finally got around to making a video on the Henry, only on Patreon so far. He’s a fan, but then he likes just about everything.

I’d like to find another with the forend that has wrap-around checkering as on my .410. I suppose Henry changed that to save a bit on cost, but just how much does a checkering machine get paid, anyway?🙄

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: purri Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/15/23
why not get the real deal, an Alexander Henry?
Posted By: 4570fan Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/15/23
That appears to be a Weaver 82 base. hate those two slot ugly things. Get you a Leupold 56515 base. It looks much cleaner and has three slots.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18506592/henry-44
What he said👆🏻. In addition, it’s lower than the Henry PIC rail. Only downside is it’s Weaver-compatible, so PIC rings won’t fit. Just replaced the chopped rail on my .357 with the Leupold and mounted a Romeo 5. If I can find the new Weaver rings I have, I may go back to the K4.

Damn thing weighs as much now as my M70 EW .308 with a Trijicon 3-9, 7-12. Pretty chunky barrel. I expect the bigger hole in the .44s lightens them up a bit.
Posted By: Switch Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 06/17/23
I'd buy one if Henry put them on a diet! Slim thing down to around 6# and they really be a nice little rifle.
Posted By: Txtrout Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by Campfireeric
Here are some pictures of WPAhunter50’s gun.

That is a pretty stock. All the ones I've seen in person are pretty plain. If I can run across one with that level of figuring, I'm thinking it will come home with me.
Nice looking patterning. What does the accuracy look like from these?
Posted By: Papag Re: Just picked up a new Henry - 11/10/23
Just zeroed my 357 in this morning for next weekend deer opener. It and my CVA Scout 44. Henry is heavy. Both are about equal in accuracy so I will probably use the Scout. It even has a better trigger.
© 24hourcampfire