Home
Will any of us be grabbing a single shot rifle for deer (or other big game) hunting this fall?
Yes, it is another way to enjoy fall…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yeah. One of those would be nice, but I don't
have the wallet for one anymore.
I started to splurge some years ago when
I'd met Bill Bagwell at a hunting show and
he was selling Sharps type rifles, but I didn't
for whatever reason
I'll have to stick with my BP muzzleloaders
and Handi rifles for now, or maybe they'll
bring that big check to the door some day
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Will any of us be grabbing a single shot rifle for deer (or other big game) hunting this fall?

If I get to go at all, probably be holding a Marlin.
I have a few one-holers, and was never handicapped
with any of them
Yep, my primary this season will be the CVA Scout in 300 Blackout.

I already have.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I pretty much only hunt deer with single shots.

30-30, 44mag, 45/70
Most of my deer hunting from about 1975 was done with a Ruger #1 in various chamberings. Kind came to a stop when I started doing elk hunts on a private ranch and they wouldn't allow single shot rifles. After taking 6 elk off the place over the years, each one taken with a single shot from a "repeating" rifle I finally got permission to use my single loader. That's when I got messed up in a bad accident and lost that hunt and my deposit. I haven't been since. DAMMIT!
PJ

Not this year. I have a couple times with a centerfire single shot in the past but mostly my single shot use has been with traditional side lock muzzleloaders. I hope the opportunity comes again some year. It has been a long time since I've fired more than one shot and last time I did, the deer escaped unscathed. Using a single shot vs repeater gives me no "heartburn" at all.

Tom
Originally Posted by EdM
I already have.

Nice fuzzy-wuzzy right there.

I'll be carrying a couple of single shots, both CVA Scouts.

yes!

GWB
I don't have anything as sweet as Shrapnel, but I will be using a couple of Contender carbines this fall. One is a G2 with a 7-30 Waters barrel and the other is an early model without the easy open feature in .30-30 AI. Both are easy to carry and accurate as all get out. Never cared for a heavy, clunky Encore, but the Contenders make me smile.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Dang it Shrap… you’re hogging all the nice ones 😁
Yes, "clunky" SS Encore Prohunter, in 25-06, once the chit weather sets in !

M99c, in .308, till then !
Most definitely. My deer hunting will likely very limited this season, but my as of yet unhunted Henry .350 Legend and new to me H&R 258 .30-30 will likely get called upon.
Yes Encore 260 haven’t used anything but the Encore for several years.
Two single shot centerfires will be in the rifle zone rotation this year. A T/C Encore rifle with a 26" T/C Custom Shop barrel in 7mm-08, and a CVA Scout V2 in 444 Marlin. For muzzle loader season it's a CVA Accura MR-X 50 cal. inline.
Have a 3 day doe season that opens tomorrow. Will grab my 2021 Shot Show Special 1885 in 6.5x55 to take one.

Actually shot both #1’s today. Just checking scopes, no rifle hunting here till November.

7x57 and .45-70.

They’ll get some stand time this year.
Yes. I'll carry my newly rechambered H&R Handi Rifle in 360 BHMR loaded with Fury Custom Bullets. My son will carry his custom 357 Maximum H&R also loaded with Fury Bullets.
Blaser K95 in 6.5x55 Swede.

LA & MS have a primitive hunting season that allows single-shots at .35 caliber & above if it has an exposed hammer (Ruger #1's unfortunately not allowed because of that last criterion). I'm going to hopefully get to try out my 1885 that I got my gunsmith to put a scope on in early November:

I really like my Ruger #1 in 303 British so I've been thinking about using it again for the modern gun season since I haven't shot it in a couple of years:

I have a .275 Rigby RSI that I want to hunt with as well so which one I choose will probably be determined by how often I get to go. Too many options...not enough free time:

All of the single shot calibers I own are capable of taking a deer. So I often let the scope or iron sights and the location I'm going to determine the one that I take. For me, it's usually not a question of whether I'm going to grab a single-shot. Most of the time the question is which single-shot am I going to grab:

TC Pro hunter 7mm 08 will be on the list this season.
Merkel K1 in .308
130ttsx
Likely a No 1 in .30-06 and the Browning 78 in .35 Whelen for “primitive weapons” season
"LA & MS have a primitive hunting season that allows single-shots at .35 caliber & above if it has an exposed hammer (Ruger #1's unfortunately not allowed because of that last criterion). I'm going to hopefully get to try out my 1885 that I got my gunsmith to put a scope on in early November:"

That has always been a puzzle to me. Ruger #1s are single shot rifles and there were some single shots back in the day that did not have an exposed hammer. The Sharps Borchart easily comes to mind. I wonder what nitwits came up with the idea Ruger #1s should be excluded? Maybe you single loader hunter should lobby and raid hell with the Game & Fish departments and try to get the Ruger included in the list. I know I'd be raising unholy if I lived where you do.
PJ
I have hunted deer, bear and elk with my Rugers, but perhaps not this year...

Regards, Guy
Stainless Encore with 24" MGM 7.62x39 barrel. Good old factory 24" 7mm-08 barrel for a back up. Also, a Contender Carbine with 22" MGM in 357 mag.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"LA & MS have a primitive hunting season that allows single-shots at .35 caliber & above if it has an exposed hammer (Ruger #1's unfortunately not allowed because of that last criterion). I'm going to hopefully get to try out my 1885 that I got my gunsmith to put a scope on in early November:"

That has always been a puzzle to me. Ruger #1s are single shot rifles and there were some single shots back in the day that did not have an exposed hammer. The Sharps Borchart easily comes to mind. I wonder what nitwits came up with the idea Ruger #1s should be excluded? Maybe you single loader hunter should lobby and raid hell with the Game & Fish departments and try to get the Ruger included in the list. I know I'd be raising unholy if I lived where you do.
PJ

The last I read, for the “primitive weapon” it has to have an external hammer.
I’ll be hunting (if I go) with my knight kp 1 in 45-70.
well, let me see....

Ruger #1 in 270 Win
TC Encore with a 23" MGM barrel in 444 Marlin
TC Encore with a 23" MGM barrel in 500 Linebaugh
TC Contender with a 10" barrel in 30 Herrett
TC Contender with a 10" barrel in 357 Herrett

i also use '91 - '98 Mausers and 1898 Springfield Armory (i forgot to use the finish nail in the inside the cut off pin) as single shot.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
PJ

I've got three 1885's that are legal so I guess I never worked up the enthusiasm to deal with politicians & government bureaucrats to try to get them to change the rules. My only Ruger #1 that is legal caliber-wise is my 9.3x74r. Being a non-resident hunter, I don't know if they would value my input too much anyway. On the plus side they let me shoot a lot of deer if I wanted to. I never come close to using all of my tags. But I agree that the exposed hammer requirement doesn't make a lot of common sense. No Ruger #1, Blaser K95, Merkel K3/K5, etc. allowed.
Hunt all manner of game with Ruger #1's
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Blaser K95 in 6.5x55 Swede.
Originally Posted by Ky221
Merkel K1 in .308
130ttsx
These two were the only other Kipplaufs being promoted here for a deer season hunt. That’s too bad. Kipplaufs are extremely under-appreciated for single shot hunting here in the U.S. of A.

While heavier than an aluminum frame Blaser or Merkel Kipplauf, the long-discontinued, sturdy steel frame, Thompson Center TCR83 Aristocrat nevertheless makes for a pretty agile stalking rifle, and much more affordable too:

Originally Posted by Exchipy
Kipplaufs are extremely under-appreciated for single shot hunting here in the U.S. of A.

While heavier than an aluminum frame Blaser or Merkel Kipplauf, the long-discontinued, steel frame, Thompson Center TCR83 Aristocrat nevertheless makes for a pretty agile stalking rifle, and much more affordable too

I like single shots a lot & your TCR83 Aristocrat is a very nice-looking rifle. But the occasional complaint I have about it and the kipplaufs is that many of the ones I see for sale have right-hand buttstocks with a cheek weld. So do most of the Browning B-78’s.

As a right-handed person who shoots left, I prefer a neutral buttstock that makes the rifle more ambidextrous. I know it’s possible to get a neutral stock it’s just that it often takes extra effort or expense. I think that’s one of the reasons I favor the Ruger #1 & the Winchester 1885. As a personal preference, I don’t want my single shots to be hand-specific and it seems that some other models often are.
Ruger #1A 6.5x55 for sure, possibly the Martini Cadet .357 Maximum.

Have a Ballard Pacific that I'm in process of fitting three barrels to, .32-40, .40-70 and .40-65. If I get the .40-70 barrel fitted in time it'll get a walk in the woods, ditto the .32-40. (The .40-65 is a beast at 7 pounds just for the barrel, when finished it should top out at 13-14 pounds which I sure as hell am not gonna lug around much!) But alas, I have to blood my M1903 NRA Sporter too....
Killed one of the deer I killed last year with my No. 1B .308, so it probably won’t be back in the rotation this year. I will definitely use my 1A in 7X57 and possibly my Encore in .25-06 AI.
for the last 25 years i have used a Ruger #1 and around the last 20 years of the 25 years a custom Ruger #1 -1B S.S. 257 Weatherby mag. 27 inch Brux barrel shoots a 103 gr. Hammer bullet at 3680 FPS average and this rifle is vert accurate with a Nightforce scope too.
Success. Can make some jerky/sausage/pastrami now without fear of completely running out of meat.

Not a rifle, but my hunting weapon of choice is a single shot 14” T/C Contender handgun in 7-30 Waters.
Originally Posted by Dinny
Yes. I'll carry my newly rechambered H&R Handi Rifle in 360 BHMR loaded with Fury Custom Bullets. My son will carry his custom 357 Maximum H&R also loaded with Fury Bullets.

Putting in the photo request ahead of time
I have my Browning LW .44 dialed in with the tang sight, but need to zero the new Marbles folding barrel sight, which I aligned with the peep by eye.

The Henry .357 got its scope back last week, an old K4, and is ready to roll using 158gr XTP FPs over 18gr of Lil Gun.

There are six days of antlerless opportunities this month, along with bear and turkey. I’m hoping to get something down with the Excalibur before that, but acorns are literally everywhere, so the deer probably are everywhere and anywhere. Not complaining; the acorns may keep them in the woods where I have a chance as opposed to the crop fields across the river where I don’t……..
Might take the .308 #1 if I find a decent gloss scope for it.
Could take my .35 rem Contender 14".

Like Contender in handgun, prefer falling block if single shot rifle.

But its sooooooo hard not to take the 760 in .35 rem when in the timber.
Problem is we are a 1 buck state, and I don't hunt out of state (yet).
Just hard to "experiment" with one buck tag.
Not enough does on that spot (private).
And the gov ground near me doesnt allow firearm doe tags.
my 11 yr. old grandson will be shooting his 257 Roberts Ruger #1 1-B that i gave him to hunt deer with using a 75 gr. Hammer hunter bullet and this rifle shoots well with this bullet.teaching grandson Alex make that 1st shot count or as some of us say one and done. good luck this fall , Pete53
I dont fall for the single shot stuff.
One should always think theyll get one shot and act accordingly
No matter what firearm.

However, a #1 can be reloaded rather quickly.
Compared to a muzzleloader.

#1s are just cool good looking rifles.
Picked up new to me Encore 6.5x55 barrel, H&R Handi 30-30 and CVA Scout re-chambered to 360 BH. At least 2 of the 3 will get used.
Hell Ya single shots rule the deer blind for me. I have three new ones to try out. A Dakota M10 6.5X55 (thanks again to thomas Conner here on the fire) an 1885 Low Wall 243 nad a High Wall 25-06 both Brownings. If I get a chance some other's will see the field as well. A custom High Wall 38-55 and two custom #1's a 7MM-08 and a 300 Savage.
Yeah, at least a few times.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Hell Ya single shots rule the deer blind for me. I have three new ones to try out. A Dakota M10 6.5X55 (thanks again to thomas Conner here on the fire) an 1885 Low Wall 243 nad a High Wall 25-06 both Brownings. If I get a chance some other's will see the field as well. A custom High Wall 38-55 and two custom #1's a 7MM-08 and a 300 Savage.
Would love to see some photos of that one...
Here's the 7MM-08 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image hosting service [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Wow, that No 1 is stunning congratulations!
Well that's a gorgeous chunk of rifle there GSPfan.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Guy
Thanks, it's not to shabby. It will be in the blind this November.
Thanks, it's not to shabby. It will be in the blind this November.

that #1 is so`ooo nice i am not sure i could use that Ruger #1 and great choice in cartridge too. Pete53
TC Encore with .357 Max MGM barrel for me this year.
In the past, for a 12 yr. period over 4 states, I hunted exclusively with a Shiloh Sharps Montana Rough Rider in 45-90. Also took a deer with a Shiloh #1 Sporter in 40-70. They're still in the safe with a couple German kiplaufs that might see some use, if I go.
I thought that was the #1 you showed earlier. It's beautiful and in a wonderful caliber for a #1. Congrats on a wonderful rifle and good shooting.
XP100 35 Rem., Ruger No.1 in 405 and 6.5x55, 1885 in 348 Win. for starters.
That R#1 in 7mm-08 is stunning!
TC Encore with a .460 S&W Magnum barrel.
Oooooh my. Beautiful. Gorgeous rifles and impressive successes in the field. My hat is off to y’all.
Trying to decide on scope.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I took up hunting later in life than most folks, at age 44. After two unsuccessful seasons carrying a boring synthetic/stainless Rem SPS, I satisfied a very old itch to have a No. 1 by selling the SPS and buying a No. 1A in 30-06, followed soon after by an RSI in 7x57. Those two rifles saw success and the No. 1 bug bit me hard. I've since hunted the last 16 years with single shots, almost always a No. 1. It's a powerful affliction.

This year I took a pronghorn with No. 1 AH in 25-06. I carried a No. 1S in 35 Whelen for first rifle elk season with no luck, but only got to hunt two of the five days. For plains rifle deer season, I'll be using a Browning 1885 Low Wall in 44 mag. After Thanksgiving, I'm taking a K1A in 30-30 and a No. 3 in 30-40 Krag to OK for the regular rifle season. If those rifles have success, I'm itching to try a No. 3 with a 23" Lilja .375 bore chambered for 38-55, 2.125" in the late OK doe season at the end of the year.

Last year I took a 9-point mulie buck here in CO with a K1A with a 24" Lilja barrel in 7x57, effectively a K1AH. Later that year, I took a 10-point whitetail in OK with K1B with a 21" Lilja barrel in 358 Win. Like Gnoah, I'm a big fan of the No. 1A in 6.5x55 and took a whitetail with it in OK a couple of years ago. I think that 1A Swede would do just fine for anything I'll ever hunt, as it is just about the perfect combination of weight, handling, and power with little recoil. Same could be said for the K1AH 7x57.

Several other No. 1s and a B78 in 280 AI have also had success on whitetail, mulies, and pronghorn. Still no elk, but I'm not giving up until I can't walk up the mountains any longer.
I still don't understand the O.P.'s question. ???
Proly a typo

Hunting deer with this season with single shot?
22-250 Low Wall. They are such handy little rifles. Trigger could be better, but it’s not terrible.

Had it out a few days last year but came up empty.
for the last 25 years i have just used a Ruger #1 in Minnesota , Montana and Wyoming just the one cartridge the last 20 some years a 257 Weatherby mag. Brux barrel custom , i still see no reason to use any other type rifle in the lower 48 . i am in the planning stag of a May 2024 African plains game hunt but then a will use a 30-06 bolt rifle my main two reasons for changing rifles is 30-06 ammo is easy to find and there is no way i would take any of my Ruger #1`s on a plane or in another country to be ruined , taken or lost. but i am a single shot hunter otherwise ,my son uses a Ruger #1 ,son in Law does and now my grandson has a 257 Roberts in a Ruger #1 too. these Ruger #1`s are easy to load ,unload and has a great easy safety to see and use, its just a very safe rifle to use.
So, my current plan is to use this early version Savage 219. If I have time I'll also change out the scope to a lower power 1.5 to 4 x 32mm. Sorry for the quick picture from the cluttered work bench. Backup for this year is a Savage in 7-08.

I hope to by this time next year to have it in some upgraded wood.

Attached picture 236951.jpg
I hunt with a single shot every year!
This one was not on the opener, but a few days later.
Cat
This is in the line up #1 build in 300 Savage
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This will be in the blind as well. Custom High Wall in 38-55
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Encore
.50 ML
350 Legend
45-70
Originally Posted by cra1948
Killed one of the deer I killed last year with my No. 1B .308, so it probably won’t be back in the rotation this year. I will definitely use my 1A in 7X57 and possibly my Encore in .25-06 AI.

Update to ad the (new to me) 1A 7x57 got blooded yesterday evening.
Custom Ruger #2 in 6.8mm SPC has been my go to Texas Hill Country deer rifle for several years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GSPfan, I am a .300 Savage fan and that is the finest I've ever seen and that .38-55 is mighty fine too!
I've been carrying a Ruger #3 around this year for bear and deer

Cory
Originally Posted by Joe

GSPfan, I am a .300 Savage fan and that is the finest I've ever seen and that .38-55 is mighty fine too!
Thanks for the compliment Joe
I think the #1 Ruger is one of the nicest looking rifles I've ever seen. At one time I'd have done anything to afford one. Finally ran into one in 25-06 brand new for $265. Held it a bit and put it back. Found it and all the charm went out of it! Still think it is a beautiful rifle though but also think bolt action's are better hunting rifles for no other reason than they carry extra round's should you need it. If I were to get a #1 today it would be in something like a 222 Rem for varmints but I seldom go looking simply for varmints. I have on a few occassions had to take more than one shot. In each instance with a single shot I have my doubts I could have got off the second shot. Just takes to much time to reload and you have to take your eyes off the target. Boy those #1's are beautiful though! Perhaps my feeling's come from being a big bolt action fan and a guy that hunts when he can to fill the freezer. I'm pretty sure that would make a difference.
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I think the #1 Ruger is one of the nicest looking rifles I've ever seen. At one time I'd have done anything to afford one. Finally ran into one in 25-06 brand new for $265. Held it a bit and put it back. Found it and all the charm went out of it! Still think it is a beautiful rifle though but also think bolt action's are better hunting rifles for no other reason than they carry extra round's should you need it. If I were to get a #1 today it would be in something like a 222 Rem for varmints but I seldom go looking simply for varmints. I have on a few occassions had to take more than one shot. In each instance with a single shot I have my doubts I could have got off the second shot. Just takes to much time to reload and you have to take your eyes off the target. Boy those #1's are beautiful though! Perhaps my feeling's come from being a big bolt action fan and a guy that hunts when he can to fill the freezer. I'm pretty sure that would make a difference.

Holy Horsepucky Batman, that is way too far from the truth. One, you can reload the #1 about as fast as the average hunter can using a bolt action rifle. Two, with a bit of practice you can chamber the next round without having to look at the rifle. The trick is learn how to do it with practice and a few dummy rounds.

I've hunted with Ruger #1s and a Browning B78 from 1975 to 2009 when I did my first private land antelope hunt and several private late elk hunts where either the outfitter or ranch disallow single shot rifles. I used the same outfitter for the elk hunts and aftersix one shot kills with a bolt action 30-06 one time and the other five with a .35 Whelen finally convinced the outfitted to let me use my single loader. I lost that hunt due to a bad car wreck and the outfitter has ceased doing that particular hunt for those that are handicapped.

So I can not see where hunting with a single shot rifle is in anyway handicapping ones self if one takes a bit of time and does a bit of rapid load practice. A short tale.

My next door neighbor had a visit from his father who turned out to like hunting. For some reason he wanted a .375 H&H to play with but couldn't find one for a left handed person. I suggested a Ruger #1 but like your comments, they were too slow. I'd just picked up a #1B in .300 Win. mag. a while back so I said let's go out in the desert and if it's all that slow. As we walked along we kicked up a jackrabbit and I snapped off a shot hitting right behind him. I did a quick reload and that was the end of that rabbit as pieces of him flew up in the air. My neighbor's dad said that was impressive and after going back home ordered a #1 in .375 H&H. I later heard from my neighbor that he really loves hunting with that rifle.

BTW, a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core at 2900 FPS is way too much for jackrabbits.

PJ
Shot a deer w my #1 RSI a few yrs ago.
Hadnt hunted with a #1 for at least 20 yrs.

Deer was double lunged, ran close and stopped. I got the empty out and a fresh round in without taking my eyes off the deer.

Didnt even think about it really.

See folks bobble all sorts of stuff at the range or on videos.
Comical.
Biggest mulie I ever got was with my #1 30-06. I hope to get one this year with my shiloh sharps.
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by Dinny

Putting in the photo request ahead of time

You got it! 😉
i shot this little 8pt with my Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester and i was offhand at........................................12 feet.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/FP1RbOG.jpg?1[/img]
I’m hoping to shoot something this fall with this Remington Roller in 40-50 Sharps Bottleneck…

Each season I drag oit the Springfield TD carbine (1880) and the Sharp's conversion carbine (1963). Usually the 50-70 gets more woods time.
If I get to hunt at the ranch my son in law works on in south Texas I may just have o brake out the 1885 in 7RM and air it out. I'll take my Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Swede just in case I change my mind.
I wasn’t planning on hunting with a single shot at all this season, but a CVA 7-08 is winning currently for what’s riding with me. I killed a deer this week with it and carried it 3 other days. It’s just so short and handy.
I will definitely be toting a Ruger #1 in the woods this year. They've pretty much become my go to over the last few years. And of the several I own, I would have to say my 1AH in .25-06 is likely my favorite at the moment. I haven't done much with this one until last year, but in that season, it definitely spent some time with me in the woods. Even with it being the rifle I carried the most, all I managed to take with it was a doe in the 11th hour of the season.

At the start of last season, I decided to quickly throw a load together the weekend before rifle season just to see what it would do. I had some 100gr TTSX's on hand and I checked online data sources against the powders I had on hand. I basically flipped a coin, loaded up 20 rounds just a tick above the recommended minimum charge weight and went to the range. The rifle responded well and I stuck with that load for the season, intending to do a full load work-up in the spring.

A few from last season.

[Linked Image]

Right after climbing up for the afternoon:

[Linked Image]

Same afternoon--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doing a quick check yesterday ahead of this year's season opener. Still shooting the same load I threw together last year (I started fishing when I planned to do another round of load work never got back to it). 100gr TTSX @ 3100fps....basically puts it at upper Roberts performance. Not full throttle .25-06 potential, but for my area, I just didn't need any more. And the accuracy was plenty fine so I left well enough alone.

[Linked Image]

100yds--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The more I shoot and tote this rifle afield, the more I grow to appreciate this configuration.

I still have a hankering for a RSI though. grin
Those 1AH’s are a fine creation!
I'm carrying this ugly little chopped CVA 7-08 a fair bit. Just so easy to maneuver. Nothing like putting 5x the gun's value into optics and suppression.....lol

Didn't use it to kill any deer or hogs yesterday but did use the buttstock to pin down this copperhead on the walk out so I could snip him. I was about 4ft from stepping on him when I pointed my flashlight down near my feet.

Just bought a cva scout in 350 legend. Goes with my muzzleloaders as my single-shot choices.

Hope to get a deer this year with it
I know 5 local guys, including myself that bought those recently. All shoot.
From the weekend past!

Merkel 120th Anniversary Rifle, K4 Damaszaner, 30-06 Springfield, #83 of 120

ya!

GWB
Good Lord, did you just sling that beauty over your shoulder and pedal off through the brush???
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Good Lord, did you just sling that beauty over your shoulder and pedal off through the brush???

I really hope he did. That's awesome! grin

At the farm I hunt at, having an electric bike to zip around quietly on would actually be a useful addition.
Beauty of a rifle there, for sure.
Originally Posted by odonata
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I really hope he did. That's awesome! grin

At the farm I hunt at, having an electric bike to zip around quietly on would actually be a useful addition.

Yup, that would be the case!

A couple years ago my son bought a Rad Rover E-Bike. Turns out he really had no use for it. It was an impulse buy. He asked me if I wanted it so I bought it from him.

Typically we stand hunt over feeders for deer and hogs. Most of my hog hunting year around is at night with either night vision or thermal. My idea was that I could mount the bike on a carrier and take it within a half-mile or so to different locations and sneak in quietly on the bike.

So that is what I have done. This weekend was opening weekend of rifle season in Texas. I was to be at my lease Thursday through Monday. I staged the bike about 1/2 mile from the stand I would be hunting on Thursday evening and went in and out, to and fro. Due to the unique nature of the rifle, I did not want to leave it in the stand overnight.

I luv it when a plan comes together.

ya!

GWB
My CVA 45/70 filled my bonus anterless only tag this morning.
Originally Posted by JPro
I'm carrying this ugly little chopped CVA 7-08 a fair bit. Just so easy to maneuver. Nothing like putting 5x the gun's value into optics and suppression.....lol

I've been using one in 35 Rem for the last 5 or 6 years. Paid $135 for it at a pawn shop when I started hunting some really messy swamp areas and just wanted a beater. Turned out I liked it way better than expected. Had the barrel cut down to 19" and now call it "Lil Schiddy" laugh

What optic are you using? Can't quite make out what it is?
Looks like a Nightforce SHV
Yep, it is an SHV 3-10 with the illuminated Forceplex (duplex).

I was looking all around for a Scout in .35Rem before I bought a Legend this year but there were none to be found. Most of the CVA single shots I've been around had decent triggers and shot factory ammo pretty dang well, especially for $350-$450 rifles. This 7-08 was cut back to 16.5" and threaded 5/8 for the can. Even with the 7" can it is the same overall length as a typical 18.5" barreled short action bolt gun carbine.
I’ll have my H&r 444 marlin out this deer season in Ohio.
Hoping to fit this Dakota into the rotation a 6.5X55
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]temporary image share
Wow! Beautiful rifle in a great cartridge. Hope you get a deer with it. 👍👍
I like the nostalgia of single shooters, most times I go out with a 357 Super Mag Cadet but do on occasion carry this little 222R on a BSA Martini Cadet action that I built. The 22 center fires are legal in FL for deer or hogs.
Got the guys in Australia to send me the brass and a reamer, stock is from one of my English walnut blanks with decent black grain. I just take head shots only with the 222, is patient + patience until the shot is just right. Living on a farm, I have plenty of time when hunting and tomorrow is another day.

Rapier and GPSfan, those are some mighty fine rifles!
Furthest tree I could range the other day out of my stand was 85 yards.
Come rifle opener, it’s .45-70 time!!!
No bucks on Missouri opening morning, but this doe was on the way back to the truck.

The Sweedmoor strikes again.

Took the Contender Super 14 in 35 rem out.
Using a reflex sight i got it close at 50. Arthritis put a stop to further zero attempt ( actually I also forgot my 10x binocs ).

Was taking too long since range also goes long D, so waiting for those guys to get back to the line gobbles time.

No problem, just wanted to get other stuff checked out so put the Contender on the back burner.

Its a cool rig, but figure i got 5 yrs left hunting, and pizzin around w a handgun aint what I want to do.
Got less chances at even mediocre deer.

Rifle it is.
First blood for the Scout yesterday.

Put a couple small dings in mine LOL, fuggit, get a synth stock for next yr.
Bundled up, yeah had to stretch to use scope.
So new rings and optic after season.
Throw more oney into the thing............am cool widit.
It looks to be a shooter, but it aint the way i want it............yet.

Will hunt it tomorrow and after that its 760 Rem time.
That beater is set up perfect.
Nothing tremendous, but the 1V (.25-06) put a doe on the ground for our rifle opener today.

[Linked Image]
Bundled up my 2.5x Leupold was a stretch.
Popped it off, oiled up the rifle can sit for a while LOL

No hurry on finding a better scope, will drag out the 760 in .35 rem for turkey day bambi blastin.

Windy today, saw two tiny fawns and a little 5 pt. Saw no bucks Sat/Sun. Buddy got a busted up 8 pt.
[Linked Image]

Deer didn't bother to show up!
An old friend invited me by his place in Mississippi for Thanksgiving. Do a bit of hunting. Eat too much food. Watch some football.

I got a nice doe this morning at 115 meters. A Ruger #1A chambered in 6.5x55 Swede with a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42 Klassik. Norma 140gr Partition. Zero tracking required.

The No. 1A in 6.5x55 is my all-time favorite hunting rifle. Nice work.
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
The No. 1A in 6.5x55 is my all-time favorite hunting rifle. Nice work.

Thanks! For the hunting I do (sub 200 meters in the woods), the Ruger #1 is ideal. I have Rugers in 6.5x55 Swede, 275 Rigby, 303 British & 9.3x74r and all of them will put a deer in the freezer if I do my job.

A couple of weeks ago, I was here for primitive season & managed to get one with my Browning 1885 shooting a 180gr .44 Magnum. That was a heart shot that dropped another deer in its tracks which was great because I was running out of daylight fast. It’s been a good start to the season.

I shot this mule deer buck at 140 yds. with one of my Ballard rifles in .38-55 Marlin caliber. My nephew took this picture, and we forgot to get the rifle in the image.

The Ballard is a Union Hill schuetzen rifle, and my hunting partners thought it was pretty funny when I opened the case and got it out. But when I took the buck opening morning they stopped laughing.

Took this decent mulie with my Rolling Block in .40-65 a couple years later.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]temporary image share

Hi GSPfan, RIGHTEOUS GRAIN on that beautiful Deer Slayer, good stuff!

What is the wood, is it a family Heirloom?
First deer with my Blaser k-95 in 6.5x55

[url=https://postimg.cc/jCXKfHgL][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by LeftHunter

With the current trends in popular calibers, it's funny that in the single shot forum, Cheesy, OSU_Sig, gnoahhh, aboltfan, GSPfan, 21, Astrodynamicist, DubThomas, Lefthunter & I all mention the 6.5x55 Swede. Ten thumbs up for that round & nobody says a thing about the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 25-06 gets five votes as well. 257 Roberts, 30-30, 7x57, 300 Savage, 30-40 Krag, 30-06, 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 38-55, 405 Winchester, 45-70, etc.

A lot of classics I wouldn't mind owning in the first six pages.

[url=https://postimg.cc/jCXKfHgL][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You're off to a good start! Congratulations on a fine buck and classy rifle.

You're off to a good start! Congratulations on a fine buck and classy rifle.

Congratulations!
Single shot handguns for me. Contender .30-30 Win. and .30-30 Ack. Imp.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Killer Bee I think the wood might be French Walnut. I have several custom rifles that I have used English for and none of them compare to this. I'm going to reach out to Dakota?Parkwest and see if I can get the build speck as this is no run of the mill production gun.
It's no heirloom in fact I bought it off a member here last summer. It is one very sweet rifle
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Killer Bee I think the wood might be French Walnut. I have several custom rifles that I have used English for and none of them compare to this. I'm going to reach out to Dakota?Parkwest and see if I can get the build speck as this is no run of the mill production gun.
It's no heirloom in fact I bought it off a member here last summer. It is one very sweet rifle

Sure looks like a sweet rifle to me GSPfan.

I asked the question because I am refinishing my stock, it is made from French Walnut and I see some similarities, but yours has way more character. It is a beauty in my eyes. Exhibition Grade Wood as far as I can tell.

Would you happen to know how the wood was finished, is it oil with wax. I would like my rifle to look as good as yours!

Thank you cool

PS: GSP sure knew how to whoop azz hey? lol
It's an oil based finish
I’m done for the year, I think. Boy got one back in September and now I’ve got 3 with my 1885 Sweedmoor

7:30 this morning on Kansas opener. 50 yards, caught back side of near shoulder and must have just clipped front of stomach for a 30 yard run.

Swede in my 1885.

With the current trends in popular calibers, it's funny that in the single shot forum, Cheesy, OSU_Sig, gnoahhh, aboltfan, GSPfan, 21, Astrodynamicist, DubThomas, Lefthunter & I all mention the 6.5x55 Swede. Ten thumbs up for that round & nobody says a thing about the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 25-06 gets five votes as well. 257 Roberts, 30-30, 7x57, 300 Savage, 30-40 Krag, 30-06, 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 38-55, 405 Winchester, 45-70, etc.

Picked this 1885 Low wall in 6.5 x 55 a couple months back.

Looked for one for a couple years to no avail

I passed one up early on. Spied it, hesitated. It was gone the next day.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by geedubya

Looked for one for a couple years to no avail

I looked for that exact same 1885 model for a very long time & finally gave up. Got a Ruger #1 in 6.5x55 SE that I really like a lot instead when one popped up at a good price. It's an excellent deer rifle.

You can sit in a stand, or just take a break from hunting, and if your rifle is something you love to look at it just makes it all better!
I restored this Hepburn in .45-70 maybe 15-20 years ago, and it's been on several hunts with me since then. I love it, but always thought the lack of checkering made it look unfinished. So I just gave it to a local checkerer and told him to do whatever he thought was appropriate for the gun. I know he does great work and it will turn out perfect once he's done his magic to it!

That's a fine looking Low Wall geedubya.
Originally Posted by geedubya
GWB
You gonna continue to keep that red Winchester sticker on the barrel, sorta like the price tag on Minnie Pearl’s hat?
I'm moving away from acquiring more hunting rifles, rather focusing on single shot target guns more. But, I gotta say if a Browning Low Wall 6.5x55 presented itself I would move heaven and earth to have it!
I just added a Browning 1885 High Wall in 6MM Remington toi the arsenal. Now the hunt is on for a gloss scope maybe a Leopold 4X12
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10231280370770195&set=a.1346480659723

nabbed a good 9-point this evening with my .45-70 Handi; no-dak spud peep, NECG banded ramp and sight ...

How do you feel about the .303 British?
The Ruger that Greydog built me in 2010 has taken over 33 animals so far :>)
Cat
Originally Posted by catnthehat
How do you feel about the .303 British? The Ruger that Greydog built me in 2010 has taken over 33 animals so far :>)
Cat

If I remember correctly, your .303 British is a Ruger #3. For me, the .303 British has been a nostalgic favorite ever since I shot my very first deer with one. It's the only caliber I have two centerfire rifles chambered in: An Uberti 1885 Courteney Stalking Rifle and a Ruger No. 1A.

The last deer I shot with it was a doe at 142 meters off my "wrong" right shoulder when it had a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 mounted on it instead of its current Leupold 6x42 fixed. I generally favor a Hornady 150gr Interlock SP. I love these rifles!

I do like that little highwall!
I'm hunting with my 45-70 Handi Rifle right now. I've had it out multiple days so far
I started out with my new to me this year K1A Ruger No.1 in 250 Savage but wound up getting my PA buck on the second day with a Marlin 444XLR in a straight wall/shotgun area. The Ruger will have to wait another year.
I popped another doe for the freezer this week with my little CVA Scout 7mm-08. Hard not to pick up this rifle when I'm headed to a spot where the range is going to be less than 250yds. My buddy was hunting about 1000yds away and never even knew I'd fired (YHM R2 suppressor). He thought I was kidding when I texted him.
Originally Posted by JPro
I popped another doe for the freezer this week with my little CVA Scout 7mm-08. Hard not to pick up this rifle when I'm headed to a spot where the range is going to be less than 250yds. My buddy was hunting about 1000yds away and never even knew I'd fired (YHM R2 suppressor). He thought I was kidding when I texted him.

I’m sorely tempted to thread mine and suppress it.

It has rapidly turned into my favorite blind and ladder stand rifle.
You likely already know, but a hunting can is a bit of a gamechanger. I still have rifles that don't wear cans, but they don't see as much use as the ones that do. Putting one on a short barreled single shot just made good sense to me, as the overall package remains carbine-length.

I was shooting a suppressed AR10 yesterday and one of my neighbors was standing by the bench with his muffs on. After the first shot, he took them off. I shot again and he asked, "Tell me again what caliber this rifle is?". I told him it was a .308. He said, "Bullshitt...". Then after a pause, he pointed at the suppressor and said, "Well now I've got to get myself one of those." grin
© 24hourcampfire