Home
Posted By: gerry35 Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/28/08
Would any of you go for such a beast? The No.1 AH model with a 22 or 24 inch barrel would be my choice. In Canada there is a lot of good history with this round both hunting and military, I would buy one in a flash.
Course I would but then, I am Canadian! I shot my first several deer with an old Enfield. still have, use it when walking into my bear stand (with a bow) and as a camp gun in bear country.
I could like one of those without hesitation, but not with the gawdawfull laminated stock!!
Make mine in an RSI thank you very much!
Cat
I'd definately wait in line for a .303 RSI!!!
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/28/08
I would buy one, but would look for a 26" barrel.

Ted
Posted By: hornhead Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/28/08
gee catnthehat

an rsi #1 ... why does that raise my eyebrow? wink

two "wish i had got 'ems"

a double rifle in 303B
a double rifle in 38/55

at gun shows ... neither were all that expensive.

DANG!! frown
Posted By: Savuti Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/28/08
As long as it has sights and a Henry forearm, Barrel length wouldn't matter.

SOS
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/28/08
I have been writing Ruger, Ellett Brothers and Lipsey for years, asking for a No.1 in .303 Brit with 24-inch sporter barrel, open sights, in walnut and blue steel.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/28/08
Hornhead,
Did you see that article last year in Double Gun Journal on hunting with a SxS .303 Brit?
Originally Posted by Lee24
Hornhead,
Did you see that article last year in Double Gun Journal on hunting with a SxS .303 Brit?

He may have seen it, but there is a rumour going around that unless there are lots of pictures, Ol' Hornhead doesn't actually READ the mags!!(grin)
Cat
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/29/08

Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Would any of you go for such a beast?

Yeah, if I didn't have a 1-A with a 7x57 that's crying out for a 26" barrel in the same caliber.

SDH (who hasn't posted for a while, I believe) did one up for his personal use in .30 Krag, which I think is also interesting.

But to get back to the .303, if I were to find a 1-A in that caliber in a local gunshop, I would probably snap it up. Impulse.

- Tom
Posted By: Jericho Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/30/08
I know of a Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag for sale that beckons to
me late at night when Im sleeping. Maybe in a month or two
if its still there.
Okay....We're at 12 replies....has Ruger started making them yet?
Both/either the .303 and .30-40 trip my trigger in a #1. Light 22 barrel w/open sights and Alex Henry forend.

Expat
Posted By: Rooney Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 03/31/08
Always thought the .303 Br. would be a natural fit for a #1! That makes about 14 in favour...who is calling Ruger with the good news?

Paul
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/01/08
The more I think about it I would prefer a 1A or K1A instead. Iron sights would be nice on the 303. I think the 303 British would sell well in Austrailia and New Zealand as well as here in Canada because of our history with it. The 30/40 wouldn't interest me personally but those who do should pester Lipsey's about it. I wonder if there is a Canadian retailer who would be able to get say, 200 303's made up for us, Wholesale Sports maybe?
Posted By: hornhead Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/01/08
dang cat!
it's taken me this long to read that post you made so you know it isn't true! i can read! course i have to move my lips while i read but whose perfect?

but i didn't see the article on the double 303. not enough pictures i guess.

303 is a great cartridge. i would be tempted to rebarrel a #3 into a 303. it would also be a great cast bullet rifle.

i have a #3 in 45/70 but it shoots too well to fiddle with it.

I've just picked up that no.3 long range in 45/70 and we were wondering what to do with it - DOH!!
How about a nice .303 Brit IMP!!
it even has the irons already, I could shoot it in the 303 brit match at our rifle rodeo.
I wonder if Ron Smith builds .303 barrels??!! ( grin)
Cat
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/02/08
Would any of you go for such a beast? The No.1 AH model with a 22 or 24 inch barrel would be my choice. In Canada there is a lot of good history with this round both hunting and military, I would buy one in a flash.

Not a chance in 5 Hells would I buy or hunt with such a chitty round.Also wouldn't subject a good Number 1 to such a ordeal.

Good luck trying to find a gunsmith to build it without a serious laugh attack..
Posted By: 1B Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/03/08
7mm STW,

Me too.

I may have as many non-catalgue #1s and #3s as many of the more adventurous among us on this site.

But I think I'd go for a Russian 7.65 or 8mm Mausr project before the .303 and, in fact, I'd never do any of them as they offer no improvement in performance -- accuracy or velocity, recoil, bullet selection, or marketability than calibers already on offer.

The .303 just will not happen in a factory round Ruger #1 ever, despite the model or the 'clamor' here. If you want it, build and enjoy it.

1B

Boy...That put a damper on the thread.

...It's still nice to dream a No.1 in ANY caliber could be available.

Oh well...now that we're awake....I guess I'll just have to stick with my Lott.

It was a nice dream while it lasted..Take Care Fellas,

Stump
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Not a chance in 5 Hells would I buy or hunt with such a chitty round.Also wouldn't subject a good Number 1 to such a ordeal.

Good luck trying to find a gunsmith to build it without a serious laugh attack..

Care to explain why the 303 brit is a "chitty round"
It's a good as the 30/40 and has proven that may times over....
Cat
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/03/08
Don't feel bad..I think the 30/40 is the [bleep] too.
Cat...

Well, you have to admit that the .303 is not mainstream in the US, however, I could see that those of you north of the 49th parallel would like it.

I might consider one if it were available, but I already have a #3 in .30-40 Krag with #1 wood on it. So ballistically, it's a moot point. While I seem to be attracted to "something unique and different", I just can't see it ever happening.

'Course, I could be wrong, I built a 9.3x74R because I wanted one and I didn't think Ruger would ever make one. I also contracted to have a Browning B-78 in .405 Win for the same reason. I was wrong on both counts. Problem is, so many folks want it exactly their way! So a manufacturer could never make it in 6 or 8 different configurations. So.... We all lose.

Grasshopper

P.S: I've never even fired a .303. So it would be a totally new experience for me.... smile
BTW,

I currently have #1's in 7x65R, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x54 MS, and .338 Federal in the works. So no one could ever accuse me of not wanting something different. smile
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
BTW,

I currently have #1's in 7x65R, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x54 MS, and .338 Federal in the works. So no one could ever accuse me of not wanting something different. smile

I hear ya Grasshopper!
I've owned some no.1's and some Browning single shots in some strange calibers and love 'em all - unless they have a .243 barrel on them , which makes them an instant donor gun!! ( grin)
I recently got the wood for my Martini that is chambered in 6.5/303Brit/imp., which is a strange one, and i just received a martini in 225WIN, which has some pretty nice woos and bird's eye grip caps and tips on it.
my 6.5WSSM has since languished on the rack since last summer, no time for it since I got the O/U in 9.3X74R , now that is a cool cartridge.

However, I have a No.3 that is coming back to me and I may rip the 45/70 long range barrel off and put on a 6.5X47 Lapua barrel on it - decisions, decisions.....
Cat
Originally Posted by catnthehat

I hear ya Grasshopper!
I've owned some no.1's and some Browning single shots in some strange calibers and love 'em all - unless they have a .243 barrel on them , which makes them an instant donor gun!! ( grin)

Cat

Cat, I have to agree on the above... I don't have much use for a .243 anything. One 6mmBR and I'm good for anything I need to do with a .24 cal bullet.

I've been thinking of a .25 Krag, but haven't made the jump as yet... Altho' I do have the dies. smile

Grasshopper

[/quote]

Cat, I have to agree on the above... I don't have much use for a .243 anything. One 6mmBR and I'm good for anything I need to do with a .24 cal bullet.

I've been thinking of a .25 Krag, but haven't made the jump as yet... Altho' I do have the dies. smile

Grasshopper [/quote]
A TRUE gun looney you is!
Tell us now, did you see the dies at a show and say to yourself " gee, i should build one of those"? (grin)
Cat
Posted By: Nrut Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/06/08
"I have the dies" ...that one bit me in the ass today when I went into the local rifle emporium to see if my primers came in...I had to give myself a stern lecture when I got home.. blush
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Tell us now, did you see the dies at a show and say to yourself " gee, i should build one of those"? (grin)

Actually, I went thru a period a few years ago just before I retired, that I bought every set of dies that I found that I either didn't have or thought I might want. smile I especially concetrated on "Wildcat" dies. Thus there isn't hardly anything that I might ever want to build that I don't have dies for. Conforting thought!

I got a lot of them off eBay, before they went sky high!

Grasshopper
[

I hunted with this round quite a bit when it was the only rifle I could afford. I still use that old rifle fot bear protection. It may not have the flashy ballistics of the more modern rounds but there is something about the 'large' bullets at moderate velocities that I find just plain work well.

With its rim, I think it would make a great #1, however, I won't hold my breath for it to happen.
Posted By: Youper Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 04/21/08
I'd buy one in a minute as long as it came with a .311" groove, not a .308" like the us made 7.62x39 rifles.
Posted By: jry444 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/01/08
[quote=7 STW

Good luck trying to find a gunsmith to build it without a serious laugh attack.. [/quote]

I agree 100% my grandfather shot a 303 Brit and it was crap.I don't think you will EVER get Ruger to chamber a rifle in 303 Brit There are alot of great old cartridges out there ,the 303 Brit is DEFINATELY NOT ONE OF THEM.
Posted By: Rman Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/01/08
For a "crap" cartridge, it has seen more meat and guts than most have. I'm not going to argue that it is the best round ever, but it is a lot better than what you're saying it is. It's about the same as me calling a .308, or the 30-06, crap and chitty.
R.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/01/08
Actually, if handloaded to it's fullest, the .303 British is a pretty effective round with the 180 grain or heavier 215 grain bullet.

Hodgon's Basic Reloaders Manual (2006) shows a maximum load (48.0 grains-a compressed load) of H4350 yielding a respectable 2500 fps (with 2499 ft/lbs of muzzle energy) with a 180 grain bullet and a maximum load (45.0 grains) of BL-C� yielding 2563 fps (with 2620 ft/lbs of M.E.) out of a 24-inch barrel with the 180 grain bullet and a very mild chamber pressure of just 43,800 CUP and 43,000 CUP respectively.

Other components include Remington cartridge cases and Federal 210 primers.

In a super-strong Ruger #1 rifle and good brass, we can only guess at what muzzle velocities/muzzle energies one could achieve with heavier powder charges which would be "safe" in a stronger (than the British SMLE's) action.

The one regret I sorta have with my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57 is that the little rifle isn't chambered for the 7x57R ("rimmed") cartridge... not a popular cartridge case in the USA these days... the "saving grace" of having the RSI in the standard 7x57mm.

In a single shot rifle, head-spacing on the rim of a "rimmed" case seems to be a good & simple way to get the job done... and like the old, heavy-caliber African double rifles, a rimmed case is "traditional" in many calibers used in single shot & double rifles. It seems reasonable that when one is using a single shot rifle these days, the reason is more for "tradition" than anything else, so why not have a "traditional" "rimmed" cartridge as well?

Our Canadian friends have an on-going "love affair" with the old .303 British and with good reason. It has served them well and taken every kind of game animal that roams the Canadian woods with well-placed shots out of the old and kinda "homely" SMLE battle rifles using the 180 or 215 grain bullets at modest velocities.

And so, it is "understandable" that they might like a single shot rifle like the Ruger #1 or something similar in the rimmed .303 British cartridge.

N'est pas?!? smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/01/08
I think it makes sense to build the Ruger No.1 in .303, 7x65R, .444 Marlin, .22 Savage HP, and .30-30 - but what do I know?
Posted By: BMT Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/01/08
A 30-30 in a #1 is morally wrong.

BMT
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Both/either the .303 and .30-40 trip my trigger in a #1. Light 22 barrel w/open sights and Alex Henry forend.

Expat

Exactly my thoughts. I guess I'd prefer the 30-40 since that one shares my roots.

Careful with a comment like that. It could easily be taken to represent one's abilities - or, rather, lack of them. The same holds for a 'smith who shirked at the thought of chambering a rimmed case cartridge to a #1 when a paying customer wanted it.

And I seriously doubt Ruger would never chamber such a "loser" round. Consider their recent forays into such "winners" as the 218 Bee and 7.62X39.

Originally Posted by BMT

BMT

I hope that was TIC. It sounds more like something Nancy Pelosi's brother-in-law would say.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/02/08
I wish had bought one of those immoral Browning 1885s in .30-30 with the 24-inch tapered octagon barrel, tang peep sight and crescent case colored buttplate.
Posted By: BMT Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
Originally Posted by BMT

BMT

I hope that was TIC. It sounds more like something Nancy Pelosi's brother-in-law would say.

30/30's belong in lever guns.

Its a rule that should be a law.

Nothing offends the Horsemen in me more than the Rem 788 in 30-30.

Like a blue hair on a pretty young girl, it is very very wrong. sick

I will defend your right to bear a No.1 in 30-30, at all costs. smile

BUT, if you JUST GOTTA HAVE a single shot 30-30, PLEASE use a nice Remington Rolling block action. . . . . . . grin

BMT
Posted By: 1B Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
Or a NEF, or TC.

Why put a four cylinder engine in a Corvette?

1B
Posted By: BMT Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
Or, in my case: "Why put an American Icon into a "British" falling block."

That's what the 303 Brit is for.

BMT
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
This has been a fun thread to read I never thought the old 303 British would be so controversial. grin It makes more sense to than some of the winner's Ruger/Hornady have come out with. I use the term "Hit or Miss Hornady" because the seem to either hit a home run or strike out miserably with their new cartridge introductions.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
I am rebuilding 2 Remington Rolling Blocks now, one in the family since 1882. There are currently some .30-30s being manufactured in reproductions, but most are too bulky for the cartridge. The Browning 1885 Low Wall was ideal.

A Ruger No.1 in .303 Brit with a 24-inch sporter barrel would be very desirable, and fitting.
There is a .303 LightMagnum factory load, 150 at 2830. Right up there.
Originally Posted by BMT

30/30's belong in lever guns.

Its a rule that should be a law.

Nothing offends the Horsemen in me more than the Rem 788 in 30-30.

Well, along that line of thinking, I'd go further and say that there is no point in putting the 30 WCF in a clunky (relatively) Marlin levergun then either. And I don't disagree about the M788 version. And while I wouldn't choose the 30-30 for the #1 myself (since I think the 30-40 makes more sense) the 30-30 does qualify as a suited cartridge, as well or better suited than many, simply due to its design (rimmed and all) than some others. I would qualify the 30-30 as being better suited to the sleeker #1-A, just as the 218, Hornet and others should have been.

In the really questonable department are such things, as stated before, as the 7.62X39 as well as 357 Magnum(????).

The 30-30 might be despised by the "super-sized MacDonalds" crowd as a "four cylinder among Ferraris." I don't really care what people say about it. It is and always has been a very fine and useful hunting cartridge. That has not changed through the years.

[Linked Image]

And it has a lot more history and class than many of the upstarts.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
Fellow Campfire Members;
As much as it pains me to admit it, in all likelihood I would not be lining up to buy a No.1 in .303.

While I respect the capabilities of the fine old round, the lack of an easily accessible variety of bullets in .311 in Canada would be a factor for me. Not withstanding that I know a .311 diameter, 180g. Sierra will kill the variety of moose that frequent the Caribou region, I�m afraid I�d be inclined to agree with Mr. Grasshopper that the .30-40 would make a more pragmatic nostalgic choice.

Regarding Mr. Klikitarik's thoughts and with apologies that I have written this before, my childhood recollection of rifles used by trappers, natives and fringe area farmers recalls the most common seen as �94�s in .30-30 and various SMLE and Enfields in .303.

As he so aptly stated, those cartridges worked well when they were new and in my view are no less able in the right hands today.

Lastly, I�d like to extend a Happy Fourth of July to all of my American Campfire companions. Here is to a safe and happy long weekend to you all.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: 1B Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/03/08
GunBroker has a custom #1 in .303 with all the trimmings for sale. The bidding now is at $1500 with 1 Day and 7 hours to go.... tick, tick, tick...

The # is 172864863.

You'd spend a lot more for anything as nice....and it comes scoped with dies and Kleppinger trigger. some dings but hey who hasn't got them? I have no interest in this one, just stirring th pot.

1B
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/04/08
"the 30-40 makes more sense"

I couple years ago I could have bought a #3 in 30-40 Krag for a good price and passed on it. Wish I hadn't.
From my perspective, having run the gamut of most of the super magnums, the short-fats, and everything else, the traditional, nostalgic cartridges hold a lot of allure to me.

I have also come to believe that those who dis the traditions the most are the younger folks. When they get to be my age, they will have run the gamut as well. I can assure them that things look different from where I stand. smile I have owned more rifles, and loaded for and shot more than they even dream about. smile Most of the younger guys that frequent these forums cannot even fathom how many dies that I own. (Nor why I would want to, for that matter....) I will venture to bet that I have owned and still own rifles in calibres that they've not ever HEARD of.

In conclusion, having read this entire thread, all it has accomplished is to make me think of building a #1 in .303 Brit. smile

I'm thinking 23" half-octagon, 1/4 rib with express sights, schnabel fore-end... Say 7-7.5 lbs before scope. Just a nice little stalking rifle. smile Likely would dig around in the "cave" and come up with an old 3x Leupold that would fit nicely in Warne QD rings. (that I just happen to have stashed. grin

As Americans, we love the .30-06! The Brits, the Aussies, and the Canucks love the .303! Our Teutonic neighbors across the pond love the 8mm Mauser, and the Swedes love the 6.5x55!
Me, I'm just a "rifle looney" that loves them all. smile I see no need to dis another group of loonies just because their traditions are different than mine. In actuality, the vererable '06 is my very LEAST favorite rifle caliber. smile I guess I just travel to a different drum. grin

Grasshopper
Edward,

Mostly, I like the beat of your drum. I do like the 30-06, though. Just about perfect for me. I have a 303 -- heck, I'm Canadian . . . . I think it's a law somewhere here. laugh

Magnum is okay, but mostly it is just more of the same, and sometimes, it is an unneeded more. wink I use my 303 Brit to clean the heads off grouse. Nice lite rifle. grin
Hey guys, no more bad words about the 7.62x39. While it may not have been a big seller for Ruger, it is one of the best combinations out there. I shoot the fire out of mine. Surplus ammo, mild recoil and no picking up brass. My wife even likes to shoot it.

It makes me want to come up with a 1A in 223 for the same reasons.

Of course I am waiting for a 257 Weatherby in #1 to be finished. That sould be much cool.

SS
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Magnum is okay, but mostly it is just more of the same, and sometimes, it is an unneeded more. grin

Bro' Keith,

The above statement shows maturity and growth. smile I couldn't agree more. Skill at hunting will put far more meat in the pot than a magnum (without the skill) In actuality, I have found that patience has about the best advantage. smile

I was once a younger hunter that tried to make up for what I didn't know by adding a scope to my rifle, but buying a more powerful rifle, etc. Now, it matters not what chambering I hunt with. smile I even put venison in my freezer last fall with the despised .30-06. smile Danged if it didn't work just fine. smile

I have even taken 5 deer with a handgun. I hunt now with a rifle, because I am a confirmed rifle looney. But what cartridge I happen to use, is pretty much a moot point. smile

My goal this year is to take a deer with iron sights. Gots to use a peep, tho'... These near 60 yr old eyes don't focus like they used to. smile Kind of doing things backward, aren't I?

Bro' Edw
THREAD RESURRECTION....It's a reality now....

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RU1A303BRIT&mfg=Ruger&family=No.+1+Series

How do I justify it this year (I know...I'll wait to see if they bring it out in an RSI model). crazy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger No.1 in 303 British - 07/04/10
For the non Lipsey model, again the catalog # is 11348...we just started seeing it appear on distributor sites.... grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
For the non Lipsey model, again the catalog # is 11348...we just started seeing it appear on distributor sites.... grin

Ingwe

Yup, Clay at Prophet River has a mess of them on their way to his shop!
Just because spome people say stuff like " good luck getting a gunsmith to build one" or forget about "Ruger chambering THAT"
does not mean that it ain't gonna happen.
Bill Leeper ordered a match chamber in .303 Bbrit for that same reason, because naysayers said it wouldn't fly 0- he ended up winning his share of matches with that rifle!
he is used the same reamer in my custom that he built for me.
Cat
© 24hourcampfire