Home
My favorite and best is a Browning 45-70. But to be honest it is a little heavy and really too nice to drag along on an elk hunt. I nice stainless with laminated stocks would be great.
Originally Posted by hp4570
My favorite and best is a Browning 45-70. But to be honest it is a little heavy and really too nice to drag along on an elk hunt. I nice stainless with laminated stocks would be great.

Likely tradition. I mean, it's kind of like putting a DOHC inline four in a Harley... It would just ruin it. It is what it is...
Agree - the Browning/Win 1885 is an absolutely gorgeous rifle, best in richly blued steel and sitting in nice wood.

There are other single shots that are more weather-proof. Ruger and T/C come to mind. I could enjoy hunting with a laminated/stainless Ruger Number One.

Regards, Guy
we can only wish
""Why aren't there any Winchester/Browning 1885's in stainless?""

Because it would be tastless IMO....

Those are a classic rig in blue and walnut. Even the SS#1 gives me the dry heaves.....sorry, but true.
Originally Posted by hp4570

You complain about the weight, yet want a laminated stock instead of regular wood? Think about that: laminates are HEAVIER than plain wood.

As far as blue vs stainless, most stainless steels used in guns are not truly stainless, those are too hard to machine economically. You've got to take care of stainless as well as you have to take care of blued steel if you want the gun to hold up.

I guess what I'm saying is ... take that thing hunting. That's what it was made for.

Tom
I have to agree that it would be a little tastless, but I would still like one. I took it one year elk hunting, it is heavy all day and it did not like the constant dampness. My SS Savage does not seem to mind being wet for a week. It does get used here in Connecticut deer hunting. It is by far my most accurate rifle and my favorite to shoot.
The recent factory 1885s are heavy, no doubt. But it's possible to build a light rifle on an 1885 action. Take a look:

http://www.ballardarms.com/light_hunter.shtml

© 24hourcampfire