Home
For years I have been trying to find the best all around rifle-scope-cartridge combo for me and the area's I hunt in.I live in northern California up close to the Oregan border and can get some long shots in the high desert area's or some 100 yards or less in heavly wooded area closer to the coast.I recently bought a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H with a 26 inch barrel and this rifle shoots every thing well.The scope I decided on was a leupold vrxIII 6x.I swear I have had a lot of 30/06 that have more recoil than this rifle.The load I use for the wooded areas is a sierra 220 gr. bullet at about 2400 fps.I like useing RN bullets at lower speeds and have used this load before. Deer and pigs don't go far if hit right.I also have about 100 rounds of factory ammo -winchester 180 gr silver tips that shoot less than a inch at a 100 yards and IMO recoil is light.For my longer shots I'm going to use a barnes 168 gr.bullet with a full charge of IMR-4350.All this IMO of course.

[Linked Image]
Yep. I have one in a pre64 M70. Shoots very accurately.
I have had three .300 H&H's (a custom barreled M70 Classic, a No. 1, and a pre-'64 M70) and they've all shot very well. The .300 H&H didn't get "replaced" by later .300's because it didn't shoot, but because it started to seem old-fashioned.

I am assuming the "Leupold vrxIII 6x" is a typo? Not many VX's are fixed power.
Sorry,FXIII 6X42mm

Thanks,PJ

I've been playing around with one of the new No. 1's in ".30 Super" for the last month or so, and have been very pleased with its performace using Mule Deer's recommended loads. I'm not that happy with the current scope set-up (Vari-X III 4.5-14 AO) as I'm having difficulty getting proper eye relief at higher magnifications. The 6X FXIII has been in my thoughts, but the recent Vortex and Minox sales have confused my thinking.

The recent addition of a 1B in .22 Hornet hasn't helped. I love Number 1's, but I hate scoping them.
I have one of the #1 300H&Hs. I have topped it with a Ziess 3.5-10x40 scope. Handloads are Nosler Brass, Horn 180 over 70gr of RL22. Groups are scary at 100 and 200 yds. Recoil is very modest.
Mesabi,

I have a Burris FFII 3-9x on my 1B Hornet. It fits very well and works great for prairie dog shooting with the Ballistic Plex reticle.
Posted By: ingwe Re: No.1 300 H&H best all around - 08/10/10
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
the Ballistic Tip reticle.

whistle

Ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mesabi,

I have a Burris FFII 3-9x on my 1B Hornet. with the Ballistic Tip reticle.

What colour is the ballistic tip reticle... ? Do they have different colors for different calibers? I wonder if the colors coralate with the Nosler ballistic tip bullets... Hmmmm?

GH
I would love to have a .300 H & H. Everything I've read says it's a balanced, accurate cartridge. Why all the fuss over the .303? It seems like a good cartridge but I haven't read a lot about what's so good about it. Right now I'm saving my pennies for a 9.3.
Posted By: ingwe Re: No.1 300 H&H best all around - 08/11/10

The .303 has history and panache going for it, plus,it being a flanged cartridge getting paired up with a trim little sporter like the Ruger#1A makes a veddy classic and cool package! cool

Ingwe
I see what you are saying ingwe. I guess the same applies to my #3 .30-40. It's not the "international" cartridge that the .303 is, but it's kool too.
Posted By: ingwe Re: No.1 300 H&H best all around - 08/12/10
we are hoping to see a #1A in .30-40 soon....might be a bit easier to feed than a .303 as it takes .308 dia. boolits.
The .30-40 is US Cool, and the .303 is Brit ( Austin Powers) cool.. grin
Had a bud that filled an ark, as Dober says, with a #3 in 30-40..

Ingwe
Those of us from former Commonwealth countries have a warm full spot for the 303 British. It is the spot filled by the 06 in the US
Randy
P.J., very cool. Glad to see you're not hot rodding it. Your 220 loads seem on par with my 06' 220 loads. Everything I have ever heard about the 300 H&H has been nothing but good. Accuracy and manageable recoil in comparison to the other 300 mags. Plus it gets kudos for cool looking brass. That and 9.3x74r brass are some of the neatest looking stuff IMO. I would be very tempted to try a 250 grain Barnes original around the same speed in the H&H.
Dang it!!

Now you all have got me wanting a 300 H&H. It is well known that these huge bodied Texas deer can't be killed with lesser rounds anymore as all those rack enhancing food plots are causing their hides to thicken like a cape buffalo.

Some agreement here would help convice the wife fellas.
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
I recently bought a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H with a 26 inch barrel and this rifle shoots every thing well. ... The load I use for the wooded areas is a sierra 220 gr. bullet at about 2400 fps. I like using RN bullets at lower speeds and have used this load before. Deer and pigs don't go far if hit right.

Good to see the positive report as I'm picking up my new Ruger 1-S in .300 H&H this afternoon. The .300 H&H will be paired with my Ruger 1-S in 9.3x74R. Not a bad pair of cartridges and rifles, IMHO. smile

Seller's photo of my new rifle:

[Linked Image]

I'm also a big fan of round nose bullets. I've had good success with the 220 gr Hornadys and Woodleighs in my .30-06. I'm going to try them in my new .300 H&H. Sometimes I just like to do things the old fashioned way. grin

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Dang it!!

Now you all have got me wanting a 300 H&H. It is well known that these huge bodied Texas deer can't be killed with lesser rounds anymore as all those rack enhancing food plots are causing their hides to thicken like a cape buffalo.

Some agreement here would help convice the wife fellas.

Well, of course you absolutely NEED a .300 H&H!! You're right about the Texas deer. They're getting bigger, tougher, and meaner every year. You simply must "use enough gun"! You need to put 'em down with the first shot or you could be facing a potential charge from a enraged deer that could prove fatal to the hunter! grin

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Posted By: rifle Re: No.1 300 H&H best all around - 08/14/10
[Linked Image]
Gots mine...now scoped with a 6X42 Leupold
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rifle
[Linked Image]
Gots mine...now scoped with a 6X42 Leupold
[Linked Image]

Looking good !!!
Posted By: rifle Re: No.1 300 H&H best all around - 08/15/10
one sight adjustment, three for affect,I'm happy.....
Not that I needed it, but I traded for a Boddington, #1 .300 H & H yesterday. I would have been a bigger idiot thn I already am if I had passed up the deal. Came with a Nikon African 1 x 4. Won't try to take it to Colorado for Elk this year. Kinda late. Got the 9.3 x 62 all ready for that task.

I really like this new catch!!!!! Gotta work up a load now that it will like. I'll try to post a pic later.... I think this will be a nice one to take to the ranch for Nilgai this fall!

Kaywoodie
Okay, Pic as I promised......

[Linked Image]

I have a feeling this one will be a fun project!

Kaywoodie
kaywoodie,

Well, you've now got yours and I've got mine. I guess it really is true that great minds do think alike!! grin grin

I'm a little envious that you got the Boddington edition! That's a cool rifle. Congrats on your new toy! smile

I predict that you're going to really like the .300 H&H cartridge.

Here's an article that you may enjoy (if you haven't seen it yet):

The Late, Great .300 H&H
As a grand old magnum rides toward the sunset, the author makes a case to save it from obsolescence.
by Craig Boddington

[Linked Image]
"A while back I talked Ruger into including the .300 H&H as part of a limited-run �safari� series, 250 rifles in each of five cartridges. I don�t really think this small gesture will bring the cartridge back but, I had a wonderful experience with it in Africa."

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/RS_the_late_great_300_hh_020810/index.html

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile
Thanks Bob!!!! I can't wait to get to the field!!!!! And thanks for the article!

Kaywoodie
I just couldn't wait for Ruger to come out with the 300 H&H, so I had a No. 1 in 30'06 that I picked up used (came with the set trigger!) rechambered to 300 H&H. I couldn't be happier, 200 gr Accubonds and 4831 seem to be good elk medicine. It started with a magazine article I read about the 375 H&H and the 300 H&H. The article was called "A Pair of Aces", I wish I could remember the author and what magazine it was in. Have any of you guys read the article?
Posted By: 1B Re: No.1 300 H&H best all around - 09/09/10
elkchsr,

I did the same thing with a NIB Rugere 1B that I got in a swap on a rifle I won at a RMEF dinner long before Ruger started top prodcue the rifle in any numbers.

Rebored by Al Siegrist. It is a reliable MOA rifle that I did no thave to fiddle with.

1B
elkchsr,

The article was by John Jobson, who oddly enough was the camping columnist for SPORTS AFIELD back in the day when more people actually camped. Jobson was a hell of a lot better gun writer than Pete Brown, SA's shooting columnist in those days.

The article appeared in GUN DIGEST, I believe in the late 1960's or early 1970's. I could run down exactly which year if you'd really like to know.
Thanks JB. I will have to see if I can track a copy of the article down. I already had a No. 1 in 375 and I couldn't be happier with the 300.
© 24hourcampfire