Home
Posted By: Steelhead What the Hell - 08/28/10
Haven't ever owned a #1 and I'm VEDDY close to getting one in 30/40 Krag. Of course I can't find friggin brass anywhere, that might just keep me from purchasing it.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: What the Hell - 08/28/10
Decisions, decisions.....

Good luck with that one, man!
Posted By: Scott F Re: What the Hell - 08/28/10
WARNING: #1s CAN BE ADDICTIVE. OWN ONE AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STOP.

Now getting them to shoot one hole groups can be a challenge sometimes but I have yet to find one that cannot be made to preform.
Posted By: AJD Re: What the Hell - 08/28/10
Seems like the 303 brass and cartridges are much more available and common than the 30-40. I would think a .308 based cartridge would be nice though for the availability of the bullets for reloading....
Posted By: AJD Re: What the Hell - 08/28/10
Has anyone tried or heard of resizing 303 cases and using them for the 30-40?

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&p=570546
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: What the Hell - 08/28/10
Scott,

PM sent.

Steve
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: What the Hell - 08/29/10
Gunbroker.com has some listed. One guy has a "buy it now" price of $220.00 for 100 pieces (that is not a typo). there is some listed that is cheaper.

I checked a supplier that I know and they don't have any either.

Good luck.
Posted By: bravo Re: What the Hell - 08/29/10
Good morning all, About 30 something years ago I built up a Mk1 No4 S.M.L.E. chambered for the 303 case but used a .308 barrel where the gunsmith adjusted the reamer pilot to suit. This gives me a lot more choice in projectiles. It is still my favourte pig rifle. Reckon it would be a beaut on a Ruger or TC or similar.

Regards
Bravo 27
A Friend DOWN UNDER
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: What the Hell - 08/29/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Haven't ever owned a #1 and I'm VEDDY close to getting one in 30/40 Krag. Of course I can't find friggin brass anywhere, that might just keep me from purchasing it.

Steelie,

Go ahead and go for it... I have more .30-40 brass than I'll ever use... I'll donate you some.... smile I believe Winchester only makes .30-40 brass once a year... but eventually it will always be available... (I might even have an extra set of dies...)

GH
Posted By: Steelhead Re: What the Hell - 08/29/10
Ed, why.................

I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: What the Hell - 08/30/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ed, why.................

I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow.

Because I'm a hoarder???? Hell! I don't know.... blush
Posted By: Pugs Re: What the Hell - 08/30/10
You'll never regret a #1, I enjoy mine in .22 Hornet a bunch.

This place has brass for $38/100. Have to think it has a pretty long life.

http://www.bluestarbrass.com/catalog/ofrbrass.htm
Posted By: brinky72 Re: What the Hell - 08/30/10
All mine have shot well. With prudent handloading I have always found a few good loads that will group under an inch at 100 yards. The most finicky was a #1B in 25-06. I have always said that they just feel right in the hand. I don't know why they just do. The only rifle I have carried that came close to this was a Savage 99. Buy it. If you don't like it a #1 in 30-40 will not collect any dust on a sale rack.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: What the Hell - 09/01/10
Just hang loose. They will make more .30-40 ammo. & brass. Trust me!
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: What the Hell - 09/02/10
Steelhead,

Look at this. Just bought 2 boxes. The .30-40 season has started.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188444811
Posted By: Paul39 Re: What the Hell - 09/02/10
I have no idea what volume of .30-40 brass this consumes, but the .38-50 Remington Hepburn is becoming increasingly popular among BPCR shooters, even out to 1000 yards. It is formed from .30-40 Krag brass.

Who knows, there might even be one in my future.

Paul

Posted By: BrentD Re: What the Hell - 09/02/10
Originally Posted by Paul39
Who knows, there might even be one in my future.

Paul

I believe you might be right. When are you getting started? smile
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: What the Hell - 09/02/10
It's really strange, but my .30-40 #3 will shoot the factory 180 gr. loads like the footprints of a Chihuahua (that's little cause I have one) at 100 yards. But all my handloads have not been near as tight. I think it might be the subdued velocity of the factory ammo. and the long 180 gr. bullets. I am going to try some 200 and 220 grainers in it. I think the latter is where the Krag gained it's reputation for knocking stuff flat.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: What the Hell - 09/04/10
The .30-40 is pretty easy to load. I found 180 Nosler Ballistic tips and 4350 worked well with my original Krag:

[Linked Image]

It didn't do as well with shorter bullets. That is a 100 yard group, with the rifle as you see it, a receiver sight in place.

I may try to knock off a deer with the Krag this fall, then give it to an uncle, as it's an old family gun and he has kids & grandkids who shoot. I would like to have a #1 in either .30-30 or .30-40. In the .30-40 one could take advantage of the action strength - but I won't try it if I still have an old Krag around!

© 24hourcampfire