Home
Posted By: maddog Another 7x57 on gunbroker... - 09/28/10
Was over looking, and ran into another one. No reserve.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191748600

maddog
I find it hard to believe Ruger will leave this (7x57) out of the #1A lineup for an extended period of time.
Went for $881 plus actual shipping.

For a used black pad with "a few handling marks".

Not exactly a bargain.

I hate when they don't specify shipping, you're at their mercy.

Posted By: AJD Re: Another 7x57 on gunbroker... - 10/05/10
I also thought it went high. But if you want one, there ain't that many for sale.
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Not really. I contact the seller and discuss it and get that settled; BEFORE I bid.
Originally Posted by ppcshooter

Not really. I contact the seller and discuss it and get that settled; BEFORE I bid.

"Actual shipping" is better than "plus shipping" (unspecified). At least you can check that yourself and resolve discrepancies should they arise. I never nit-pick fair a realistic shipping and handling costs (but I also refuse to let a shipper try to pad his losses, if any, by adding it on there.)
Originally Posted by ppcshooter
Yeah, really. A fair number of Gunbroker "sellers" keep the shipping amount an open-ended question and use that as a means of making up any perceived shortage on their final sale. It doesn't make a damned bit of difference how much you've "discussed" BEFORE you bid.
Posted By: AJD Re: Another 7x57 on gunbroker... - 11/17/10
It is always a good thing to get as much tied down in writing as possible when dealing with unknowns, it helps to keep from having misunderstandings, and helps to protect both parties.

People have a way of "forgetting" the details over time.

If you know them, and trust them, and want to deal on a handshake thats different.
Originally Posted by AJD
It is always a good thing to get as much tied down in writing as possible when dealing with unknowns, it helps to keep from having misunderstandings, and helps to protect both parties.

People have a way of "forgetting" the details over time.

If you know them, and trust them, and want to deal on a handshake thats different.
I don't care how many deals you've made or have dreamed you've made, some dickhead always has a way of throwing a kink in it. Yes, hammering out the terms for a deal before making a financial commitment often works well when all parties are honest and above board, but not all parties meet those standards. That's reality.
Posted By: AJD Re: Another 7x57 on gunbroker... - 11/18/10
I don't disagree. What I am saying is among those "honorable" people, if it's tied down it helps to avoid misunderstandings.

If they are slimy then it really doesn't matter, you're screwed.
actual shipping is up to the PO not the seller. any Idiot can calculate the shipping as you know their zip and hopefully know your own.all you need is the weight and size of the package which you can figure out pretty close you will only be a few dollars off.
Originally Posted by Hubert
actual shipping is up to the PO not the seller. any Idiot can calculate the shipping as you know their zip and hopefully know your own.all you need is the weight and size of the package which you can figure out pretty close you will only be a few dollars off.
Right, BUT there are a lot -- and I mean a LOT -- of unscrupulous "sellers" who are angling at making a dollar off of everything. If the gun sells below their target price, then they want to roll that loss into the cost of shipping the gun. And these same people are ALWAYS vague about the actual cost when questioned before bidding. They won't divulge the size or weight of the box and it's guaran-damn-teed that whatever you estimated as a cost will be WAYYYYYYYYY off their stated cost. One example is Marty Mabry of Fort Worth, Texas. (He's a perennial Gunbroker "seller.") That prick wanted $40 to ship an 8-pound rifle a distance of 180 miles. I estimated it shouldn't weigh over 12 pounds and have a package dimension of over 52" x 12" x 8" and would be insured for $800 which would cost (at the time) a maximum of $21 from UPS (his preferred means of shipping). When I pressed him on the discrepancy in prices, he agreed that my figure was correct, but he had to pay someone to pack the rifle for him, buy the box, etc. No thanks.
Posted By: 1B Re: Another 7x57 on gunbroker... - 11/19/10
I bought one from this seller two days ago. He told me the shipping cost the next day and it was very modest. He is in the business and seems both eager to please and reputable. If he proves other-wise, of course, I'll let you know.

I guess I have been lucky as I've not been stung yet. To include, a seller who mistakeningly wromngly described a rifle in hias ad and took it back with all my expenses returned.

Happens a lot though. I hear from the guys in the business that gun fraud leads all other categories of internet sales swindles. I always check the feedbck on a seller.

1B
Originally Posted by 1B
I bought one from this seller two days ago. He told me the shipping cost the next day and it was very modest. He is in the business and seems both eager to please and reputable.
If you're talking about that Mabry character, I've gotta ask how long have the two of you been a couple?

$40 to ship a f*cking 8-pound rifle 180 miles up the interstate is neither modest nor the mark of someone who is "eager to please and reputable." What a load of sh*t.

If I can ship an AC556 back to Ruger in New Hampshire -- from Oklahoma -- insured for $5K for under $50, there is no f*cking way any reasonably SANE, reputable "businessman" is going to convince me that it costs $40 to ship a rifle 180 miles. Sorry, but I ain't buying that BULLSHIT for even a second. That Mabry prick even admitted he was trying to cover his overhead that he didn't make off the actual sale of the rifle.
© 24hourcampfire