Home
Posted By: wolfman81 Ruger #3 .223 - 10/27/10
a local pawn shop here has a pretty decent ruger #3 in 223 anyone know the value of something like that. The wood is pretty plain one good scratch down it. But it sure is nifty
Posted By: BMT Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/27/10
BUY.

IT.

NOW.

Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/27/10
I don't believe there is any set value for a #3. The relative rarity of the caliber is the deciding factor. .223's are not all that common, but I believe not as rare as the .30-40 or the .44 Mag.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the #3 is that demand far exceeds supply. Thus about the only determining factor is: "How bad do you want it?"

I used to buy #3's for a basis for Custom rifles, but now it's really cheaper to buy #1's, especially so if you plan to restock the #3's with #1 wood, (As I have done to all of mine...)

GH
Posted By: bcp Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/27/10
Around here, almost all #3's I see are priced right with #1's at $600 to $800, but last year I found a #3 22K-Hornet with #1 stock for $500. smile

Bruce
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/27/10
Originally Posted by bcp
Around here, almost all #3's I see are priced right with #1's at $600 to $800, but last year I found a #3 22K-Hornet with #1 stock for $500. smile

Bruce

Bruce,

Than't pretty much what I've seen wherever I go... frown For a rifle that was supposed to be an economy grade, I just don't get it.... But you know how collectors are...
Posted By: wolfman81 Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/28/10
Hmm well he want 600 for it and to be honest the last thing I need is another damn rifle I dont shoot but I may snag it for future deals. I might find someone that just has to have it.

thanks guys
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/28/10
Seems .45-70 Govt's can be had for the $500 mark.

I agree, I don't see why a #3 should be anywhere near the price of a #1, but the law of supply and demand prevails.

I would say $600 for a scratched up .223 in a pawn shop is pretty ballsy.

The pawn shop here in Siux City treats there guns like a museum. Priced to stay behind the counter for a long time.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/28/10
If it were I... I'd only buy a #3 for a future project. If one has to pay the price for a #1, one might just as well buy a #1. I can't really see anyone wanting a #3 because of what it is, unless the price is attractive. Face it: they are ugly, heavy for their size, and the sights suck. Not to mention that scope mounting is not optimal... (And yes, I admit to being slightly biased!) grin

But like a previious poster has stated... The collectors don't really want them until they are discontinued. smile So goes life...

GH
Posted By: AJD Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/28/10
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
If it were I... I'd only buy a #3 for a future project. If one has to pay the price for a #1, one might just as well buy a #1.
GH

+1 on GH advice.

I would only do a #3 for a project if it were really cheap. If I was planning to restock it al la #1, unless looking for really custom wood, why not buy a #1 and rebarrel?

Having said that I have a couple of #3's that I really like. One was purchased with the wood reshaped and accurized, a hornet, very accurate and attractive. The other is a 375 win, and, I know I know, shortened the stock and put a decent pad on it. Makes for a light, quick handling, close woods rifle. Anyway its fun to play with.
Posted By: bcp Re: Ruger #3 .223 - 10/29/10
An example of #3 pricing: (not mine! don't PM me. smile )

"2. Ruger No. 3 in .375 Winchester. This is a fairly rare caliber in this rifle. It is in nice condition. There are some small marks on the wood from being in the safe, but nothing major. No box, but bases and rings are included. $825"

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...ng-safe-rifle-sale-ruger-win-marlin.html
© 24hourcampfire